2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:
Commuter Car Supreme
By Hoho on 04/07/09 08:53 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I got sick of driving my BMW 325 in the snow, and then got sick of fixing my Volvo, so I sucked it up and bought a commuter car. I have always been a fan of Nissan reliability -- have had several over many years. I now drive 25k a year. I have put 34k on this car, and it runs the same as the day I bought it. There was a minor vibration at 3000 RPM that was easily repaired (air conditioning insulation was vibrating). I have done all the scheduled maintenance. I recommend that. I am of the mind set that if this car is maintained correctly, it will last a long time. Is it fun to drive like a Euro car? NO! But it is reasonably quiet, handles okay, and slow as molasses. Overall I am happy.

Windows & lights
By Brenda on 03/12/09 16:23 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I really like my little car but have more trouble with the electric windows. Have always had elec windows but motor replaced once and still in cold weather refuses to go down. Second never had to scrape my headlights off. The shape of these makes it necessary. Hope it lasts me 5 yrs because other than that really like.

Quiet time
By Dan on 02/01/09 19:37 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Recently bought my Versa SL preowned with 5000 miles on it. Prior to buying the car I drove similar cars from Toyota, Hyundai, Honda, VW, Ford. The thing that sets the Versa apart from these other cars is the super low interior noise level and seamless transmission shifting provided by the CVT. I also noticed a lower level of engine vibration or "buzziness" that's sometimes transmitted through the accelerator pedal or steering wheel of 4 cylinder cars. The car has a much more solid feel to it than the Ford Focus. The doors sound solid when they are closed, you can tell the car is put together well. As back seats go, this car has a very roomy rear seating area for a small car. Nice little car!

Best Christmas Present Ever!
By karly on 01/07/09 17:16 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

My husband & I had a 2004 Nissan Sentra, we were just browsing around, didn't care much for the new Sentra. I'm so glad we got this car, it's the best present ever. I love driving it, gas mileage is awesome, looks sporty, the windows were already tinted, it's fully loaded, absolutely love it.

Leaking Versa w/ bad gas mileage
By MSL on 01/03/09 18:26 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased this Nissan Versa in April, 2008 as a commuter vehicle. I have a 64 mile round trip daily commute. I have had the Versa back four time to the dealership. Once for highway mileage that is only 27 mpg. The other three times have been for roof or door leaks. All have been part of warranty coverage, with free loaners to use during work. My floors are slopping wet and have been wet more than half of the eight months I have owned the vehicle. The last time I noticed wetness was after a free car wash that my dealership offers with each oil change. Living in Maine, a wet vehicle means frozen interiors to your windows each morning. Wish I had not purchased this vehicle.

Fuel Injectors
By suzannaharati on 12/29/08 14:29 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I have gotten into 5 different wrecks in the past year and most if not all having to do with my blind spots on the left and right sides of the vehicle. I have noticed that the head rest cushioning has already started to come undone and also the lining to my back right window is coming undone which is letting water seep through. The biggest thing though is that just recently I found myself stranded at 3 in the morning with my car not wanting to crank. After getting it towed, the mechanic informed me that it was my fuel injectors flooding my engine. He said it was a flaw due to the manufacturing and would not be surprised if I would need to do it again in 40,000 miles. That job cost me $325.

Bang for the buck!
By Fred Mallien on 12/24/08 18:30 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Advantages: Extremely roomy. Uncanny quiet engine at idle (you cannot feel it or hear it). Peppy (I have gotten it to 118mph), but good mileage (30 city, 35 highway in real life). Disadvantages: Very susceptible to crosswinds. There is no keyhole in the hatch.

Good car, but needs some improvements
By DVB's Daughter on 12/19/08 19:39 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I really enjoy "Scarlet." The car is responsive and easy to handle (except in really strong winds). I like the design. It's quiet inside with the windows closed. The radio is surprisingly good, and the cabin is spacious and roomy. Overall, very satisfied, and the areas of improvement would make it a FANTASTIC car!

Good Car
By Happy Owner on 11/30/08 11:25 AM (PST)

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car when gas hit $4.00 a gallon. I only use it going to and from work, and it's all highway. I average between 32-36 mpg. Depending if I hit traffic. My best was 40 mpg, I never got over 63 mph, and there was a tailwind. Now that gas is down it takes me $16.00 to fill up. The one flaw I can find is the cup holders, they are in horrible spots.

I got what I wanted
By Carl on 11/25/08 16:41 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I wanted a vehicle comparable to my 2004 Pontiac Vibe which has 110,000 miles and has been perfectly reliable. I also wanted a vehicle that is smoother and quieter than the Vibe, which I still love despite noisy and expensive tires. The Versa fills the bill, is a little more maneuverable and takes less effort to drive. Visibility is a little better too. Fuel economy is comparable, Versa being better in the city and the Vibe slightly better on the highway. For me the Versa is plenty quick (like the Vibe). I like the quiet, the Blue Tooth, the jack in the ratio that lets me use my $30 XM radio.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback in NJ is:

$224 per month*