2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Versa - Consumer Reviews

2008 Versa Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

Sort Reviews by

7 month - 2nd review and all is well
By rick752

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is an added review to the one I wrote on 12/10/07. I mostly use my Versa as a daily commuter in stop & go suburban rush hour traffic and get about 28 mpg. I just took it on its first 200 mile trip up and down the Berkshire Mountains of Ma on a major highway and was more than pleased to see that I got 36 mpg with cruise set @ 72 mph with the 6M. The ride was comfortable and quiet although the narrow, tall stature of this car causes crosswinds to play with it a little bit. Nothing terrible though. I still miss not having a center console. The only annoyance I had was the low pressure tire sensors misbehaving in the extreme cold. No problems though. Still love it!

Favorite Features

A lot for a little, room, smooth/quiet/comfortable for a car of this class, good mileage for a large-little car. Much better than expected highway mileage. Good in snow especially stopping (without abs). Everything else still holds true from my first review. This is a great car!

Suggested Improvements

Large rear passenger corner blind spot because of the large rear pillars (takes getting used to). Still dislike the lack of a center armrest especially on the 6 manual trans. First gear is a bit small and the whole gearing could be moved up a bit. These are just some small annoyances though.

Great car but the RPM's run high
By TIna Kline

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I just purchased a 2008 Versa hatchback, so far love it! Averaging 33 mpg, not bad condsidering I drive 50 miles to work, and hit 32 lights along the way. I'm a little concerned about the RPMs running high, in 6 sp, 62 mph I'm running at 3000 RPMs. Other than that great car!!

Suggested Improvements

Center arm rest, cup holders in front are not convenient, upgrade to a better fabric

A Nice First Car
By Oscar

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This was the first car I test-drove after getting my license and so far, I do not regret my decision. I wanted a no-frills, simple car, and the Versa was that plus a bit more. I was also looking for something to carry around people comfortably, and the Versa does just the trick; I even find myself wanting to sit in the back seat to indulge in all the room. The interior layout and controls are nice, everything I need while driving is within easy reach. Performance-wise, the Versa meets my needs. I have to keep reminding myself it's not a sports car, but with some consideration on my part, it does what I need it to do. Street and highway driving are a breeze. Fuel economy is decent.

Favorite Features

Seating: As I mentioned already quite comfortable and plentiful. I also like the abundance of air bags, makes me feel just a bit safer driving around. The A/C cools quickly enough (I live in the desert). Control/indicator layout: Everything is in a logical place and easily found.

Suggested Improvements

A standard armrest would be nice, and the ciggie adapter could be in a better location. Power locks/windows should be standard.

Best for the money
By alli

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

The Yaris was like driving a bubble, the Fit was nice but cost too much, my Versa is bigger has more power and better MPG. The only thing I would change would have been my color selection (2) which did not not make my head turn.

Favorite Features

Six speed is fun

Suggested Improvements

Arm rest

Excellent car, fair price
By Claire

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I gave up my Suzuki Grand Vitara for this Versa SL Hatchback and it is impossible to be more happy. I cut my gas expenses a lot (you save more using cruise control), it has plenty of room, actually the back space is bigger than the SUV, my kids are more comfortable now, there are plenty room for legs. I feel pretty safe driving it, very stable on highways, very comfortable to ride (65 miles commute daily) with the back sit folded I have plenty of space to load almost everything, so I don't miss my SUV, without folding them you can fit 2 medium suitcases perfectly. Excellent car and very fair price

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, interior space, manual stick very smooth, comfort, stability, manageability.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to have a few more storage compartments, I can't think of any other thing

Lots of car for the money
By Swerver

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We've had our Versa for about 7 months and we LOVE it.We looked at all the others, and it was no contest.Classier and more substantial looking than the Fit or Yaris, almost identical in dimensions and capacities to the Vibe/Matrix but costing thousands less, the Versa is great bang for the buck. The fact that it drives and feels nothing like an economy car is icing on the cake.The interior is amazingly roomy and comfortable for a small car and a lot quieter than I expected, almost a Mausoleum compared to my old Neon. Incredible room in the back seat and more than enough cargo space. The Versa's space efficiency is truly amazing.

Favorite Features

A/C, power heated break-away mirrors, power windows, massive glove box, a decent if not outstanding stereo, very good 4-speed autobox, remote entry, excellent fuel economy, responsive handling and a roomy, versatile and classy interior.It looks good, too - what more do you need?

Suggested Improvements

Plastic hub caps are cheap looking.I left the winter tires on the OEM wheels and mounted the summers on new alloys which make the car look GREAT.A center armrest/storage bin would be nice and the mirror controls are unlit and badly placed,inboard seat recliners are strange That's about it.

Great Car and Fun To Drive 2008 with CVT
By Josh77

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my versa in on March 12, 08 and had an issue with the brakes rotors needing to be turned due to vibrations. This was repaired next available date I could get it in. I have about 3600 miles on it an started to have hard starts, taking 10-30 sec. to start. Thought it was bad gasoline but ended up being Fuel Pressure Sensor. Just had that repaired and continue to enjoy this car. Getting 30-32mpg consistently. The CVT takes some getting use to but the selling point was no maint. for 150K miles or more. Lots of interior room but black seats show lots of dirt when you have kids. Needs more 12 volt outlets. Comeon Nissan its the 21st century! Overall I am very happy with car.Enjoy

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, CVT, 6 disk, large seats and interior room (i'm 6'2" and 230#) and I fit well. Like the trunk space and folding back seats. Electric power stearing very smooth. Needs to have more storage but it is ok for a small car.

Suggested Improvements

Needs Auto Lights, Needs more 12 volt outlets, needs bumper guards standard on car to prevent door dings. Stero system needs better rear speakers below window. Can barely hear music in the rear. Sounds like it is all coming from the front speakers. Antenna doesn't get good reception like other cars

2008 Versa SL
By doc

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Great car I love the way the inside is designed. There is a lot more visibility than I expected and obviously the fuel economy is great to.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy and the ability to fold down the back seat.

Suggested Improvements

At first I would like to have a more attractive look but it's more practical and it kinda grows on you.

Excellent Car In the Land of $4 Gas
By Rob

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I looked at all of the new small cars including the Yaris, Fit, Corolla, etc. For me, the Versa had the best mix of interior space, mileage, and price. The CVT is the best transmission I've ever driven; it is smooth. If you drive the Versa with a light foot, it keeps the engine RPMs down below 2000 and makes for a quiet car and gas mileage of 30+. The back seat of this car is the real highlight. Being 6' 2", I can drive the car and still have 2 happy adults in the back seat. Nissan clearly traded off some luggage room for a larger back seat. The Bluetooth phone feature works perfectly with my Blackberry. It pairs automatically. The Intelligent Key is also a great feature!

Favorite Features

Interior room is the strong point with the Versa. CVT is smooth.

Suggested Improvements

Move the front seat recliner levers to the outside of the seats.

Recommended
By GeoGal

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I don't drive far to work but it's a great car when I drive half way across the country to visit family.

Suggested Improvements

A few more things could be standard and not options for the same price. Such as my model does not have a center storage compartment between the front seats and that took some getting used to. Also wish my model had an aux jack - I believe it only comes with the 6 disc changer.