Used 2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Versa - Consumer Reviews

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

So far so good
By PM in So Cal

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased the car in 4/08. We were an all V8 family and have adjusted well to the 1.8L. The car is fun to drive and carts our group of 4-5 around effortlessly, w/the AC on. Power is good, although engine gets a bit "wound up" on heavy acceleration. Engine calms down when you get to freeway speed. Getting 20-28 MPG combined (I have a heavy foot). Interior space is very good, even for those tall people riding in the back. Sport Package dressed up the car nice. Well built and tight. Held up well to an 18 wheeler slamming into the driver's side on the freeway. We are very satisfied thus far. Compared to the other econo-models out there, much more car for the $$. Would recommend.

Favorite Features

Handling. Exterior Styling w/the Sport Package. Blue Tooth and ergonomics of the interior. Great interior space w/5 air bags. Stable at high speeds, no negative feed back from the front end.

Suggested Improvements

None really. Nissan could further refine the engine under heavy acceleration (but then again I have been used to the power of a 5.7 litre).

Retiree and a Versa
By Jim Frederick

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car primarily for my 125 mile round-trip commute to my part-time retirement job. It also serves as our second vehicle so interior space is a real plus. A lot of quality car for a reasonable price. Now have 6,000 miles on it, mostly highway and getting anywhere from 31 to 37 mpg (depending upon speed and a/c use). The only issue so far with the car is a slight pull to the left at highway speeds but dealer is working with me on that. I would really like that fixed. Four speed auto does well overall. I wonder if I would have liked the CVT?

Favorite Features

Interior room. Hatchback's usable cargo space. Strong A/C. Fuel economy. Very fair price for a small car. Cruise control. Power windows and locks.

Suggested Improvements

Center arm rest that is high enough and far enough forward to rest right arm while driving. Standard ABS.

Yes, I'ld rather drive a Buick
By Phil

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Yes, it gets better mileage than my Rendezvous but you give up a lot. No place to put your right arm. Cup holder too few and in wrong place. CVT very noisy. AC needs a lot of redesign help. Have to run fan at setting 3 or 4-much to noisy. Steering wheel position not comfortable. Visor mirror has no lights. On the plus side doors are nice and wide and lots of headroom make getting in and out east for tall person like me. Rear wiper improves vision greatly. Suburban driving getting 28 mpg-great. Interstate trip with cruise on 65 mph only getting 34 mpg. Buick would get 31 to 31 mpg on trip. All in all would've expected better mpg and miss Buick features including ONSTAR.

Favorite Features

Low price, vision, easy in and out.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission noise, steering wheel positioning, gas gauge should be four equal quarters, dash light to indicate head lamps on but actually auto on and off would be better, AC performance and noise reduction. Center arm rests. More and better positioned cup holders.

Still worth the price
By sickegg2000

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Iíve always like Nissan cars, and this is my 4th Nissan. I have owned 240sx, 2 X 300zx because Nissan to me is safer and better quality for the same bucksÖ. I have to say for less than 20K, I got a fully loaded Versa Hatchback SL with power roof and somewhat economic, I am satisfied with my purchase. I am just hopping the mileage can be better, but there is always a balance comparing mileage and power. Versa is the fastest in itís class comparing Toyota Yaris, Scion xD, and Honda FIT, and so it makes sense that itís not the most economics car within this group. I have test drove all the cars listed above, I personally think Nissan handles the best when it comes to corners and balance.

Favorite Features

SL convenience package - bluetooth, 6 MP3 changer, 15 in wheels, smart keys, interior room size, can be upgraded with roof.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage is disappointed, average 26~28 for me with combined freeway, donít trust the paper. Seats are way too high for me even itís adjusted to the lowest and they are simply not comfortable. Aerodynamic is bad on this car over 60mph, feel strong wind would push you off the bridgeÖlike a Prius

Bad Quality & Problematic Transmission
By sam

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

1. Passenger side door lock broken since purchase, dealer changed. 2. After 2000 miles, hear clicking noises from many places. 3. Suspension broken, dealer changed. 4. Still hear the noises from the base. Dealer said the problem is the heat shield falling down. 5. After 2800 miles hear noise from the transmission. When transmission is cold, I hear a clicking sound once between first and second gear. Only when low speed and cold transmission. 6. Right now the car drives at an average of 21 miles per gallon,half city half highway. 7. Sometimes the driver seat makes a squeaking sound.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

See review