2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:
Awesome!
By Jdrv291 on 05/03/10 09:56 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is by far the most fun I have had driving a car.. I don't understand people saying it gets bad gas mileage.. i am averaging 26ish around the city I don't know about the highway but I bet its better. The only issue I don't think is great is the gas pedal is a little shaky at 2800+ rpm's but it's a 4cyl so what do you expect? I'll take the gas mileage all day over a little vibration! and it's got cruise so it's great!

A Sporty yet Sophisticated Vehicle
By shaynalp on 04/01/10 18:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I am a first time car buyer. My parents had bought me a Toyota for my first car, and I had been driving my dad's Lexus for a time. I decided to take my chances on a Nissan since my best friend's whole family loves, and drives, Nissans. I love the sporty look of the Versa. It has the large interior space of a mid-size sedan with the agile steering of a compact vehicle. The power is great for a 1.8L engine. However I did notice, as another reviewer had, the high RPMs at such a low speed. Every other 4 cylinder vehicle I have driven would be at 3,000 RPMs at 80 MPH- not 65 MPH like this vehicle. I thought it would affect gas mileage, but I have not seen any evidence of it.

Compacts have come a long way.
By Scott on 03/16/10 12:44 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I have mostly owned Toyotas and decided to give Nissan a try. Jury is still out on if I made the right decision. The car has been reliable accept for a front end clunk that the dealer cannot replicate. Seems to be a common issue that Nissan should address. The interior space and smooth engine are its greatest assets. Not sure if I like the 6-spd. It should provide a lower RPM in 6th gear for highway driving. Having said that the gearing allows for unmatched power on hills. For an entry level car this is miles ahead of the Tercels and Metro I have owned. It provides a fairly quiet cabin, plenty of rear legroom, adequate power, and many modern amenities at a fair price.

not the prettiest peach!
By kasey on 12/16/09 17:56 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I love this car. Straight up. Personally, I think the exterior design leaves a bit to be desired. However, I've put 40k hard-driven city and highway miles on it since purchase (1/08) and it's given me no problems.. Other than a recalled starter issue, which was covered by Nissan. I have the hatchback, and am mindblown by the amount of stuff and people I can comfortably pack into the versa. Nice base stereo, interior design is intuitive and ambient. I have manual trans with the standard 6-speed, Nice for highway driving. A bit squirrely on highways during windy weather and suspension is indeed soft. Standard stereo has trouble reading mp3 cds sometimes. Solid deal for a tough little car.

Spend a little more and be happier.
By Gene on 05/14/09 11:15 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought a modestly equipped Versa as an extremely economical choice. It was the most affordable 5-door that wasn't too small, but I was dissatisfied overall. A mediocre suspension, poor 6-speed shifter and unsupportive seats made an unrefined ride. Mine got poorer than average MPG despite a light foot. The brakes squeaked from the first day and were never repaired to my satisfaction. Nissan even distributed a note to dealerships to excuse themselves from this problem. In other words: Versas squeak. Too bad. If you want a low cost Nissan, buy the Cube instead.

Commuter Car Supreme
By Hoho on 04/07/09 08:53 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I got sick of driving my BMW 325 in the snow, and then got sick of fixing my Volvo, so I sucked it up and bought a commuter car. I have always been a fan of Nissan reliability -- have had several over many years. I now drive 25k a year. I have put 34k on this car, and it runs the same as the day I bought it. There was a minor vibration at 3000 RPM that was easily repaired (air conditioning insulation was vibrating). I have done all the scheduled maintenance. I recommend that. I am of the mind set that if this car is maintained correctly, it will last a long time. Is it fun to drive like a Euro car? NO! But it is reasonably quiet, handles okay, and slow as molasses. Overall I am happy.

Bang for the buck!
By Fred Mallien on 12/24/08 18:30 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Advantages: Extremely roomy. Uncanny quiet engine at idle (you cannot feel it or hear it). Peppy (I have gotten it to 118mph), but good mileage (30 city, 35 highway in real life). Disadvantages: Very susceptible to crosswinds. There is no keyhole in the hatch.

Good Car
By Happy Owner on 11/30/08 11:25 AM (PST)

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car when gas hit $4.00 a gallon. I only use it going to and from work, and it's all highway. I average between 32-36 mpg. Depending if I hit traffic. My best was 40 mpg, I never got over 63 mph, and there was a tailwind. Now that gas is down it takes me $16.00 to fill up. The one flaw I can find is the cup holders, they are in horrible spots.

Like the vehicle, but having problems
By hjb0028 on 10/09/08 17:50 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I love my Nissan!! This car drives great and has SO much head and foot room!! It has plenty of cup holders and gets great gas mileage. I also love how sleek it looks on the outside!!! I have had some problems with it however. My starter is going out for the 2nd time, I have had to have my fuel pump changed already, and I am always having hubcaps fall offÂ… about 7 so far. Thank goodness for my warranty!! Other than that though I love my car. It is so relaxing and comfortable to drive. The trunk has plenty of room also. My dealership has been the best I have ever had. They have been extremely friendly and has work well with me.

My first import...
By SubVet on 08/26/08 14:21 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I traded a 1998 Buick Century with well over 100,000 miles for this new Versa, and to date, am very happy I purchased it. My Buick was like a member of the family. For ten years, I got in each morning, turned the key, and she started. Never a problem. So far, my new Nissan is proving to be a worthy replacement. I average 35 MPG with a 6- speed transmission and the car is very comfortable. For the price ($10,000 + my trade), I cannot complain. The car even included power everything, ABS, keyless entry, cruise control and splash guards.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.