Used 2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Versa - Consumer Reviews

2008 Nissan Versa

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

Awesome!
By Jdrv291

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is by far the most fun I have had driving a car.. I don't understand people saying it gets bad gas mileage.. i am averaging 26ish around the city I don't know about the highway but I bet its better. The only issue I don't think is great is the gas pedal is a little shaky at 2800+ rpm's but it's a 4cyl so what do you expect? I'll take the gas mileage all day over a little vibration! and it's got cruise so it's great!

Favorite Features

6 speed, quiet, smooth acceleration!

Suggested Improvements

more low end torque

A Sporty yet Sophisticated Vehicle
By shaynalp

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I am a first time car buyer. My parents had bought me a Toyota for my first car, and I had been driving my dad's Lexus for a time. I decided to take my chances on a Nissan since my best friend's whole family loves, and drives, Nissans. I love the sporty look of the Versa. It has the large interior space of a mid-size sedan with the agile steering of a compact vehicle. The power is great for a 1.8L engine. However I did notice, as another reviewer had, the high RPMs at such a low speed. Every other 4 cylinder vehicle I have driven would be at 3,000 RPMs at 80 MPH- not 65 MPH like this vehicle. I thought it would affect gas mileage, but I have not seen any evidence of it.

Favorite Features

The seats have great lumbar support, which was important for me since my lower back arches deeply. The interior doesn't look cheap, even with my base model. The large windows provide great visibility with next to no blind spots. Passengers have plenty of head & leg room in front, as well as the back

Suggested Improvements

I would prefer a better stereo system. Call me picky, but it sounded like I had a blown speaker when I only had the bass +2 (+5 max). At 0 it sounds perfectly fine though. Also could use more storage space. There is no center console or arm rest but the glove compartment is a decent size.

Compacts have come a long way.
By Scott

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I have mostly owned Toyotas and decided to give Nissan a try. Jury is still out on if I made the right decision. The car has been reliable accept for a front end clunk that the dealer cannot replicate. Seems to be a common issue that Nissan should address. The interior space and smooth engine are its greatest assets. Not sure if I like the 6-spd. It should provide a lower RPM in 6th gear for highway driving. Having said that the gearing allows for unmatched power on hills. For an entry level car this is miles ahead of the Tercels and Metro I have owned. It provides a fairly quiet cabin, plenty of rear legroom, adequate power, and many modern amenities at a fair price.

Favorite Features

Interior space and design. Nice feeling interior materials. Stable driving experience. Visibility due to high seating position. One of the nicer vehicles I have had for highway driving. Pretty good factory stereo. Safety features.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality seems to be lacking a little. Intermittent rattles from the dash. Suspension clunk is an annoyance. A re-geared 6spd manual to improve highway rpm and fuel economy. I get 30 mpg around town and only 31 on highway.

not the prettiest peach!
By kasey

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I love this car. Straight up. Personally, I think the exterior design leaves a bit to be desired. However, I've put 40k hard-driven city and highway miles on it since purchase (1/08) and it's given me no problems.. Other than a recalled starter issue, which was covered by Nissan. I have the hatchback, and am mindblown by the amount of stuff and people I can comfortably pack into the versa. Nice base stereo, interior design is intuitive and ambient. I have manual trans with the standard 6-speed, Nice for highway driving. A bit squirrely on highways during windy weather and suspension is indeed soft. Standard stereo has trouble reading mp3 cds sometimes. Solid deal for a tough little car.

Favorite Features

keyless entry, stereo, rear wiper, massive vast interior space, power windows, 6-speed manual, comfy seats, lots of extras available, reliability,

Suggested Improvements

finer-tuned suspension, a little more pep, a little less ugly.

Spend a little more and be happier.
By Gene

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought a modestly equipped Versa as an extremely economical choice. It was the most affordable 5-door that wasn't too small, but I was dissatisfied overall. A mediocre suspension, poor 6-speed shifter and unsupportive seats made an unrefined ride. Mine got poorer than average MPG despite a light foot. The brakes squeaked from the first day and were never repaired to my satisfaction. Nissan even distributed a note to dealerships to excuse themselves from this problem. In other words: Versas squeak. Too bad. If you want a low cost Nissan, buy the Cube instead.

Favorite Features

The rear door design makes for easy access to the roomy back seat. The styling is conventional, but that's a good thing. Not everyone wants a small car to look tricked-out.

Suggested Improvements

Better suspension is needed badly. Offer the CVT in a lower priced package. Redesign the door armrests to be less intrusive into the cabin. Better brakes are mandatory. Include the auxiliary input on the base audio system (that alone not worth $300 more without other audio package upgrades).