Used 1997 Nissan Truck Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Nissan Truck Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Truck model:

ole' red
By clif

1997 Nissan Truck Regular Cab XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought this truck off of my dad as my first truck. And this truck has been through hell. Had to replace random parts such as spark plugs only complaint is that the coil is built into the distributor has 239k miles and still runs like a beast. Leaks oil off the tappet cover but other than that after 239,000 miles it will take a beating and keep running.

reliability, same engine model as the 240sx

more leg room.

Called a Hardbody for a reason
By sonny3bar

1997 Nissan Truck Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is the second Nissan Hardbody truck that I have owned, 1987 and now 1997. Both trucks were 5 speed manual, 4 cylinder very dependable workhorses. I commute to work and consistently get 20 mpg city. In 225,000+ miles, other than maintenance work, I have only had to replace the alternator, still has the original clutch. This truck and the 1987 had regular maintenance done but were not babied and dependably got the any job asked of them done. These 2WD trucks have hauled bales of shavings stacked over the height of the cab, passed 4WD trucks in 20+ inches of snow and packed around tons of stuff. I would recommend this truck to anyone.

Dependability

None...

What a little gem!
By Wyo Native

1997 Nissan Truck Regular Cab XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought this little truck about 13 months ago. Had only about 94000 miles on it. The day I looked at it was about 12 below zero and had been for several days. Was doubtful that it would even start. It fired right up. Took it for a short drive and wrote the dealer a check on the spot. Have had no mechanical issues. It makes a great little run about. Drive it back and forth to work to keep from putting miles on my new Subaru. This little truck will be in the family for a long time.

MSRP was half what Toyota was!!!
By humblegenius

1997 Nissan Truck Regular Cab XE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Rescuing Toyotas is fun ~ I have owned ALL brands of full size trucks, and both Toyota and Nissan in which my 97 Nis is my third. This one I won't be getting rid of... EVER! It is amazing what this truck can do with 130ish horsepower. I've pulled out every make and model from mud, sand, snow and everything in between and that all done with a completely stock Nissan! This is hands down the best truck I have ever owned and probably the reason they made only cosmetic/minor mechanical improvements in the 14 years of making it. As Iíve read in some of the reviews, this truck being named a poor manís Toyota is absolutely absurd. No Toyota has ever matched any of my Nissans PERIOD :) Cheers

Ease of do-it-yourself, longevity, overall perfection to cost ratio.

None, but if I wanted to pay extra... horsepower and a delux interior package.

A poor man's "Toyota" pick-up
By Firefighterjake

1997 Nissan Truck Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is the only vehicle I have ever bought brand new and it was only because the dealership had a ton of "stripped not equipped" models that were being sold cheaply. By stripped, I mean there was no radio or even a rear bumper. However, while a bit under-powered this pickup worked well for a number of years and proved to be quite reliable, although it didn't seem to be of the same quality caliber as a comparably sized Toyota pick-up. The gas mileage and handling wasn't all that great either.

Cheap mini pickup that got the job done. Few problems other than replacing spark plugs and a wiring harness. I hauled a ton of stuff over the years with that little red pickup.

Under-powered and the handling was pretty poor as it rode like a truck (which I suppose is good since it was a truck). Gas mileage wasn't very good either.