1997 Nissan Truck Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Truck model:
ole' red
By clif on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck Regular Cab XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought this truck off of my dad as my first truck. And this truck has been through hell. Had to replace random parts such as spark plugs only complaint is that the coil is built into the distributor has 239k miles and still runs like a beast. Leaks oil off the tappet cover but other than that after 239,000 miles it will take a beating and keep running.

Called a Hardbody for a reason
By sonny3bar on 04/19/10 07:50 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is the second Nissan Hardbody truck that I have owned, 1987 and now 1997. Both trucks were 5 speed manual, 4 cylinder very dependable workhorses. I commute to work and consistently get 20 mpg city. In 225,000+ miles, other than maintenance work, I have only had to replace the alternator, still has the original clutch. This truck and the 1987 had regular maintenance done but were not babied and dependably got the any job asked of them done. These 2WD trucks have hauled bales of shavings stacked over the height of the cab, passed 4WD trucks in 20+ inches of snow and packed around tons of stuff. I would recommend this truck to anyone.

What a little gem!
By Wyo Native on 03/22/10 17:23 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck Regular Cab XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought this little truck about 13 months ago. Had only about 94000 miles on it. The day I looked at it was about 12 below zero and had been for several days. Was doubtful that it would even start. It fired right up. Took it for a short drive and wrote the dealer a check on the spot. Have had no mechanical issues. It makes a great little run about. Drive it back and forth to work to keep from putting miles on my new Subaru. This little truck will be in the family for a long time.

MSRP was half what Toyota was!!!
By humblegenius on 03/17/09 22:12 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck Regular Cab XE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Rescuing Toyotas is fun ~ I have owned ALL brands of full size trucks, and both Toyota and Nissan in which my 97 Nis is my third. This one I won't be getting rid of... EVER! It is amazing what this truck can do with 130ish horsepower. I've pulled out every make and model from mud, sand, snow and everything in between and that all done with a completely stock Nissan! This is hands down the best truck I have ever owned and probably the reason they made only cosmetic/minor mechanical improvements in the 14 years of making it. As I’ve read in some of the reviews, this truck being named a poor man’s Toyota is absolutely absurd. No Toyota has ever matched any of my Nissans PERIOD :) Cheers

A poor man's "Toyota" pick-up
By Firefighterjake on 11/06/07 10:01 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Truck Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is the only vehicle I have ever bought brand new and it was only because the dealership had a ton of "stripped not equipped" models that were being sold cheaply. By stripped, I mean there was no radio or even a rear bumper. However, while a bit under-powered this pickup worked well for a number of years and proved to be quite reliable, although it didn't seem to be of the same quality caliber as a comparably sized Toyota pick-up. The gas mileage and handling wasn't all that great either.

250,000 and still kickin'
By Tom on 10/01/07 05:55 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck Regular Cab XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my Nissan from my step dad in July of this year, it had 230,000 miles on it. Before that my sister and my brother in law owned it. They had a little problem with it idling and running so when I got it I put some really strong carb cleaner down it and it came to life. Now I'm trying to figure out why it surges on take off from 1st then falls flat on its face, and it doesn't get as good gas mileage as I thought it would. Other than that, it's been an excellent truck.

Tough Truck
By tommystruck on 12/16/06 14:30 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Truck Regular Cab XE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

My 1997 Nissan truck has been one of the most dependable, reliable vehicles I have ever owned. The only problems I have ever had in 10 years of ownership are the alternator failed last year and the vehicle speed sensor failed about 2 years ago. One strange original problem was the truck leaned to the right, I also see many others like that. It turned out the torsion bar was not correctly adjusted from the factory, very easy to fix. I have to admit it does have a bumpy, stiff ride and it not the best on gas mileage, around 19 mpg.

Pretty Good Value in 4 X 4
By Daniel on 10/19/06 00:42 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck Regular Cab XE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck new and drove it about 150 miles round trip to work for four years before I finally moved closer to my job. It has been very dependable and easy to maintain; I service it every 3,000 miles and try to keep it reasonably clean. I don't take this truck off-road and have only had to use the 4 X 4 for emergencies like ice and snow storms and it has been perfect: I often have been a shuttle for others who are stuck in the parking lot frozen to the ground. I haul stuff to and from our little country home and it really is a pleasure to have for all those little jobs.... every time I think about selling it I stop and remember all it has done for me, and that's it!

Nissan p/u
By Rueben Reyes on 04/11/06 18:16 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck Regular Cab XE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Excellent vehicle, never a problem, just change the oil every 3000 miles.

Great Truck
By mrwhite on 04/06/06 21:54 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck Regular Cab XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

I'm the original owner of the 97 XE 2WD pickup. I've only had to replace the alternator, otherwise it's been trouble-free and very reliable. I'm still driving it...will likely be driving it several years from now. :)