1997 Nissan Truck - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Truck model:
ole' red
By clif on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought this truck off of my dad as my first truck. And this truck has been through hell. Had to replace random parts such as spark plugs only complaint is that the coil is built into the distributor has 239k miles and still runs like a beast. Leaks oil off the tappet cover but other than that after 239,000 miles it will take a beating and keep running.

What a little gem!
By Wyo Native on 03/22/10 17:23 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought this little truck about 13 months ago. Had only about 94000 miles on it. The day I looked at it was about 12 below zero and had been for several days. Was doubtful that it would even start. It fired right up. Took it for a short drive and wrote the dealer a check on the spot. Have had no mechanical issues. It makes a great little run about. Drive it back and forth to work to keep from putting miles on my new Subaru. This little truck will be in the family for a long time.

250,000 and still kickin'
By Tom on 10/01/07 05:55 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my Nissan from my step dad in July of this year, it had 230,000 miles on it. Before that my sister and my brother in law owned it. They had a little problem with it idling and running so when I got it I put some really strong carb cleaner down it and it came to life. Now I'm trying to figure out why it surges on take off from 1st then falls flat on its face, and it doesn't get as good gas mileage as I thought it would. Other than that, it's been an excellent truck.

Great Truck
By mrwhite on 04/06/06 21:54 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

I'm the original owner of the 97 XE 2WD pickup. I've only had to replace the alternator, otherwise it's been trouble-free and very reliable. I'm still driving it...will likely be driving it several years from now. :)

I think I got a lemon
By dissapointed on 03/03/05 01:39 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought the truck with 40k miles, and for the next 30k, things went great, after that, the thing has been falling apart. It is a great truck to drive, and it has never left me stranded, but it is nickel and diming me to death. It is getting ready to roll over 100k, and here is a list of things I have replaced: 2 front oxygen sensors, rear oxygen sensor, air intake temp sensor, air intake control valve, and more spark plugs than most v-8 owners. I do realize that some cars are much less reliable, but that is why I didn't buy a freaking daewoo. There are many other parts going bad, and I get 16mpg on the highway. I got 23 until NGK stopped making copper tip plugs. I'm buying a Toyota.

Good lil' Truck
By Fote on 02/19/05 18:38 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had very few problems with this truck. It is the bare-bones, no AC version. Had to replace the distributor cap and spark plub wires, new tires, and it is running strong. Very reliable.

Good Transportation
By gaju on 02/07/05 23:55 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

I think that it has been a very good truck. The only problem I have encountered has been the engine check light. First was speed sensor that turned out to be replacement of the speedometer head. I have had continual problem with air tempature sensor. The check light has come one three times and nothing wrong with the sensor twice. However, had to fix broken wire at connector block due to poor quality of wiring harness.I have discussed this with Nissan. I get tired of expense of reseting the computer. Repair shops are aware of both these problems. Basically, great truck to get around in, but should get better mileage.

Workhorse
By PizzaDude on 08/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck at 55,000 miles. Now, it has 166,000 miles.I have used it for Pizza Delivery for the last 4 years. During this period, I have not done anything other than scheduled maintanence. I get about 320 miles on a full tank of gas.

Great Truck
By gr8kc on 05/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have owned this Nissan XE since Nov 1999 with just 16000 miles on it. It now has about 80k and has not given me a single problem. I've only had general maintenance done to it. It isn't the most comfortable vehicle to drive nor is it prettiest, but it gives relatively good gas mileage (about 22mpg) and the engine is strong. The AC is always ice cold and it runs like a champ.

Pretty Good
By LtcMike on 10/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bench seat is marginal, but otherwise a fun little truck to drive.