1997 Nissan Truck - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Truck model:
Affordable Toyota Tacoma Alternative
By rust_belt_refugee on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've had this truck for over a year now. Bought with 147k, now has 152k. It has been reliable. Always starts (so far!). 4x4 is pretty impressive, with good tires this truck will go most anywhere. Handling is horrible, tippy and does not stop very quickly. It is a 4x4 truck though. Fuel economy is not very good, 16-24 mpg is what I've been getting. Decent low end torque for 4 cyl but no guts on the freeway, and mtns make me search for gears. Dunno about the new Frontier, but for the price, a used Nissan pu/frontier is a good package. Consider the V6 though, more power and I don't think the fuel economy is much worse. 4 cyl is not for towing heavy stuff.

Better Than Average
By Will on 08/04/09 11:46 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck when it was 2 years old and had 29,000 miles. I've owned it for 10 years - it now has 130,000 and still runs fine. The only repairs other than routine maintenance have been tie rod ends and ball joints at about 90,000 and starter at 125,000 miles. It's been a solid and dependable truck. Gas mileage has been about 20 in town and 24 highway (it's a 5 speed manual 4WD). It is a bit underpowered but that hasn't been a problem for me. I've used it off- road and also towed a trailer with it but rarely drive over 60 mph. I hope to keep it for a long time

Great little truck
By willshak on 05/10/09 08:56 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought it new and still have it. 66,000 miles on the odometer. It still looks new, except for some small dings. I wanted a 6 cyl. instead of the 2.4 liter 4 cyl., but the 6 cyl was not available in the 97 model due to some EPA requirement.

Nissan Pickup
By R. KOK on 01/04/09 18:32 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck new to tow behind our motorhome. It now has 110,000 miles and the first repair was in oct. 07, a temp sensor in the carb. barrel. It is underpowered, but I consistently get 20mpg, and that's with a 4wd vehicle. it's on the fourth set of tires, but part of that could be from towing it 100k miles. In 4wd it has been in places where few trucks have gone in UT, AZ, and CO. It's pretty spartan, but I have driven it 1000 miles straight and I find the seat ore comfortable than a car. I rarely go over 65 because it's geared a bit low, but that little engine just keeps going hour after hour at a steady 3200 rpm. I am looking for another truck, maybe a frontier.

Great lil wheeler
By nissan_wheeler on 12/30/05 00:56 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I am an avid 4 wheeler and this truck witht he added modifications including a 3 inch lift and 32" Mud tires and various others. this truck is almost perfect the only other thing it could stand is the Vg30 motor (v6) wich nissan only used up untill 95 and brought back in 99. GREAT TRUCK

Can't Complain
By EC on 08/13/05 22:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

The thing is reliable as hell. I agree with the rest of these reviews in its lack of power (especially uphill). 95% of the time I don't need much power anyway. The 4 wheel drive works well and more importantly, it's a lot of fun

97 Nissan King Cab 4x4
By bunce on 06/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Really good basic truck. Nothing fancy but very reliable transportation. Handles better that any truck I've driven. I've owned since new and have logged 101K miles only replacing brake pads, oil, and battery, the usual stuff that wears out. Had to replace alternator at 90K. Goes anywhere in 4wd, snow, mud, sand will not stop it.

good truck. stay
By yougotit on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This has been a very reliable truck. The only bad thing about it is the paint peeling off. Mechanically it is great though!

Pollution Systems
By Costly on 06/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Am spending an average of $35 a month, or $800 total, since owning this vehicle to put out the yellow check engine light. Have replaced the throttle body, charcoal cannister and a vent. Nissan dealer says this is not unusual, they replace a lot of these all the time. Cost does not include total electrical shutdown due to a short somewhere requiring 3 towings, just died running along, never did actually find the short. Truck only has 53000 miles, low for a 97.

Very Good Truck
By R R S on 01/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

90,000 miles and no problems.