1997 Nissan Truck - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Truck model:
Affordable Toyota Tacoma Alternative
By rust_belt_refugee on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've had this truck for over a year now. Bought with 147k, now has 152k. It has been reliable. Always starts (so far!). 4x4 is pretty impressive, with good tires this truck will go most anywhere. Handling is horrible, tippy and does not stop very quickly. It is a 4x4 truck though. Fuel economy is not very good, 16-24 mpg is what I've been getting. Decent low end torque for 4 cyl but no guts on the freeway, and mtns make me search for gears. Dunno about the new Frontier, but for the price, a used Nissan pu/frontier is a good package. Consider the V6 though, more power and I don't think the fuel economy is much worse. 4 cyl is not for towing heavy stuff.

ole' red
By clif on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought this truck off of my dad as my first truck. And this truck has been through hell. Had to replace random parts such as spark plugs only complaint is that the coil is built into the distributor has 239k miles and still runs like a beast. Leaks oil off the tappet cover but other than that after 239,000 miles it will take a beating and keep running.

Called a Hardbody for a reason
By sonny3bar on 04/19/10 07:50 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is the second Nissan Hardbody truck that I have owned, 1987 and now 1997. Both trucks were 5 speed manual, 4 cylinder very dependable workhorses. I commute to work and consistently get 20 mpg city. In 225,000+ miles, other than maintenance work, I have only had to replace the alternator, still has the original clutch. This truck and the 1987 had regular maintenance done but were not babied and dependably got the any job asked of them done. These 2WD trucks have hauled bales of shavings stacked over the height of the cab, passed 4WD trucks in 20+ inches of snow and packed around tons of stuff. I would recommend this truck to anyone.

Best Small Truck
By Martin Leymon on 04/13/10 08:09 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

Love this truck. It starts in the worst winter conditions unconditionally. It still looks good except for rust that has started at the top of the roof and extends all the way across. I have had several people offer to buy or trade for it since the day I bought it. Very clean and other than general maintenance has been a very solid truck. Would not hesitate to buy a new one. Nissan did this right.

Still Going
By keeper on 04/11/10 13:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought new in 97. Used to tow metro from town to town and for door to door delivery. Put almost 25,000 miles a year first 3 years. Only 2 issues, valve covers started leaking at 12,500, 500 miles out of warranty, and power steering hose runs over alternator. Hose is poorly designed and has been a recurring problem, starts to leak about every 3 years and is quite expensive. If not replaced immediately will leak into alternator and burn it out. Even as a 2wd with about 400# in back gets around good even in moderate snow, ice and mud.

What a little gem!
By Wyo Native on 03/22/10 17:23 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought this little truck about 13 months ago. Had only about 94000 miles on it. The day I looked at it was about 12 below zero and had been for several days. Was doubtful that it would even start. It fired right up. Took it for a short drive and wrote the dealer a check on the spot. Have had no mechanical issues. It makes a great little run about. Drive it back and forth to work to keep from putting miles on my new Subaru. This little truck will be in the family for a long time.

Better Than Average
By Will on 08/04/09 11:46 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck when it was 2 years old and had 29,000 miles. I've owned it for 10 years - it now has 130,000 and still runs fine. The only repairs other than routine maintenance have been tie rod ends and ball joints at about 90,000 and starter at 125,000 miles. It's been a solid and dependable truck. Gas mileage has been about 20 in town and 24 highway (it's a 5 speed manual 4WD). It is a bit underpowered but that hasn't been a problem for me. I've used it off- road and also towed a trailer with it but rarely drive over 60 mph. I hope to keep it for a long time

Great little truck
By willshak on 05/10/09 08:56 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought it new and still have it. 66,000 miles on the odometer. It still looks new, except for some small dings. I wanted a 6 cyl. instead of the 2.4 liter 4 cyl., but the 6 cyl was not available in the 97 model due to some EPA requirement.

MSRP was half what Toyota was!!!
By humblegenius on 03/17/09 22:12 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Rescuing Toyotas is fun ~ I have owned ALL brands of full size trucks, and both Toyota and Nissan in which my 97 Nis is my third. This one I won't be getting rid of... EVER! It is amazing what this truck can do with 130ish horsepower. I've pulled out every make and model from mud, sand, snow and everything in between and that all done with a completely stock Nissan! This is hands down the best truck I have ever owned and probably the reason they made only cosmetic/minor mechanical improvements in the 14 years of making it. As I’ve read in some of the reviews, this truck being named a poor man’s Toyota is absolutely absurd. No Toyota has ever matched any of my Nissans PERIOD :) Cheers

Nissan Pickup
By R. KOK on 01/04/09 18:32 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck new to tow behind our motorhome. It now has 110,000 miles and the first repair was in oct. 07, a temp sensor in the carb. barrel. It is underpowered, but I consistently get 20mpg, and that's with a 4wd vehicle. it's on the fourth set of tires, but part of that could be from towing it 100k miles. In 4wd it has been in places where few trucks have gone in UT, AZ, and CO. It's pretty spartan, but I have driven it 1000 miles straight and I find the seat ore comfortable than a car. I rarely go over 65 because it's geared a bit low, but that little engine just keeps going hour after hour at a steady 3200 rpm. I am looking for another truck, maybe a frontier.

1 2 3 4 5 next »