1996 Nissan Truck 2.4L 4-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Nissan4ever! Follow-up three years later

1996 Nissan Truck - Consumer Review

XE Extended Cab Pickup (2.4L 4-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual)

Nissan4ever! Follow-up three years later
By Nissan4ever on

1996 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Built to last if given proper care and feeding. The manual transmission gave out at 185,000 miles. Didn't give out in the traditional sense, though. Never left me stranded, drove it for a long time with a very "noisy" transmission. Pretty comprehensive rebuild on the transmission and clutch came to $1800; flywheel and rear main seal were fine. Truck runs like a fine Swiss watch, burns no oil, no leaks either. While $1800 seems like a lot of money for a truck with 185,000 miles, it is only about four or five payments on a new truck!

Favorite Features

Dependable, reliable, goes anywhere I want it to anytime I want to do it. A very well-built truck with no squeaks or rattles at nearly 200,000 miles. Still shines up real nice, too!

Suggested Improvements

Since this truck is out of production, not much can be improved. Low mileage is my biggest complaint--although it has improved from the 17 mpg I reported before to a little over 20 on the highway before the transmission overhaul.