Used 1996 Nissan Truck Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Nissan Truck - Consumer Reviews

1996 Nissan Truck

View reviews for a specific Truck model:

Never buying another Nissan trk
By Johngroober

1996 Nissan Truck SE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My Nissan Pickup was good for about 100,000 miles then the manual transmission went out three times in a row. First the bearings in the transmission went out at 100,000 miles. Then the Synchronizer went bad six months later. I think that it was the mechanic's fault. He should have known to replace the synchronizer along with the bearings. After he got that fixed. The truck has never shifted the same. Later, 5th gear started coming out and eventually the transmission went out for the last time. My dad plans to fix it again the right way and sell it. He plans to buy a real truck this time, a Toyota. I think the transmission could have been my dad's fault for towing around our bass tracker boat.

Favorite Features

The 4WD.

Suggested Improvements

The mileage stinks. It needs to be better. They didn't make V6's engines that year beacause they were bad. My neighbor up the street had one and the motor went out at 10,000 miles. It would be nice if the trucks were more reliable.

OL Green
By

1996 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

Its been a decent little truck. It may have hauled more than some full size trucks have over the years.

Favorite Features

Decent gas milage. Cold AC.

Suggested Improvements

AC drain gets clogged. Needs a little more umph.

Just average...
By dude_frontier

1996 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I just thought it's an Japanese car and I had more expectation for it. Well, so far so good though. Just think it's an average car with no major issue so far after 80K. The firestone tires were great for HW travelling. Had them for 80500 miles and still got treads...

208K Miles and Counting
By Rick

1996 Nissan Truck SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this truck when it was 4 years old and still own it in 2009. All in all, it has been a very good truck throughout the years and it's still getting me around. Hoping to get 300,000 miles on it, we will see. Headliner began to droop a couple of years ago, but that is a minor thing. I've replaced alternator, brakes, etc., but so far nothing major.

Favorite Features

Cruise Control

Suggested Improvements

Mileage

11 years and a lot of life left
By Eric

1996 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

Got this truck in college, and I've driven it for 155,000 miles. I won't get rid of it. In all that time, I've just changed brakes, oil, radiator fluid etc. I've only had a problem with the Mass Air Flow sensor ($400 for a new one). Aside from that, never had a reliability problem. The only hassle with this truck is that it requires a somewhat obscure GL4 transmission fluid. I've never been able to buy it in stores, so I use GL5.

Favorite Features

Best feature? How about a cheap, durable, and reliable. Not having a payment, and not having to constantly sink money into it is a very nice feature.

Suggested Improvements

You can buy a used CD player from an older Xterra as a bolt-in replacement for the stock CD player. No need to mess with the harness. You just lose that little "stuff pocket" under the old stereo.