Used 1990 Nissan Truck Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Nissan Truck - Consumer Reviews

1990 Nissan Truck Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Truck model:

The Best Used Truck Value Ever
By whusmann

1990 Nissan Truck Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I previously owned the same truck with a regular cab and no 4 wheel drive. Both trucks had the same engine and transmission and other than the 4 wheel drive parts this one is the same except it has power steering is that this one has power steering. Both trucks have had easily over 300,000 miles put on them and both kept right on going and have needed few mechanical repairs. It was because of my previous experience with this truck that I immediately decided to buy the one I have now with no haggling even though I knew it had some minor issues. I didn't care because I knew that after I spent a few hundred on it, I would have a truck that would run dependably for years to come.

Favorite Features

The nearly bullet proof dependability of this truck is fantastic. As late as 1995 consumer reports still considered the 1987-1990 Nissan D21 pick up truck the best used car value that money could buy bar none. Not a single week goes by that someone doesn't offer to buy this truck from me and since a friend is currently borrowing it a neighbor asked me just yesterday if I still had it because he has not seen it for a few weeks and he covets it I always tell prospective buyers the same thing...not a chance...I am going to die with this truck still in my possession.

Suggested Improvements

The only problem with this truck is its lack of power particularly with the extended cab and four wheel drive which make it heavier and therefore it has less power than my previous truck. Going up inclines of any real significance really causes this truck to have to work hard so I wish it had a little more native power.

Trusted for Generations
By Josh

1990 Nissan Truck Extended Cab SE V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck as my first truck and specifically refused to buy any other model or brand because I have such faith in Nissan. My father had a Nissan of the exact same year and she ran like the day he bought it until crashed. I personally could not be happier with my truck. A few issues, there's a catch in the idle; due to the temp sensor giving out somewhere in the 200k miles before I had it, the electric windows are giving out, and the fuel gauge is deceiving and hard to read. Fixed only minor maintenance and small upgrades. Never failed to start and never gave me any trouble. She's at 230k and runs so well I wish I could drive her for the rest of my life.

Favorite Features

Unholy reliability. There are boulders that would break before this truck.

Suggested Improvements

More attractive exterior design. It holds itself together like a utility truck, but it looks like a utility truck as well. Not terribly aesthetically pleasing.

15 years and still going
By Catherine Adams

1990 Nissan Truck Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

I wanted a small truck and the Nissan caught my eye over the Mazda that year. This truck has been to the tip of the Baja and back. No major problems and this 2wd was made to do some 4wdriving. This truck owes us nothing. $12500 back then and we've gotten our money's worth. I hope the next one is as good. I think there must be a record with the same clutch from day one and 15 years later.

Favorite Features

Has to be the clutch that won't quit after 330,000 kms.

give and take
By threetimedad

1990 Nissan Truck Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've always owned full size trucks in the past so this is new for me. It's a fun little truck to drive, it handles great. I've yet to do any major work to it. I just got back from a trip to see my son three states away. A total of 24 hours of driving there and back. The truck didn't miss a beat. The one big draw back was the lack of power. They shouldn't be allowed to put 4cyl. in these things. On flat ground, no problem. But drive it thru W.Va. Man what a drag. Also if you put over sized tires on it be ready to watch your fuel mileage go down big time. But thats the way I bought it.

Favorite Features

The 4 wheel drive. Between hunting season and the snow, its worked great.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger 4 Cyl.

nissan truck
By frick

1990 Nissan Truck Extended Cab SE V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

owned truck since 1995 and it has been very reliable with normal routine maintenance items. No significant repair required. Solid truck. 4 wheel drive handy in snow and for back country. A little underpowered for highway speeds going up hill, but great around town.

Favorite Features

four wheel drive, reliable engine. economical to run and repair