Used 1990 Nissan Truck Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Nissan Truck - Consumer Reviews

1990 Nissan Truck

View reviews for a specific Truck model:

The Best Used Truck Value Ever
By whusmann

1990 Nissan Truck 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I previously owned the same truck with a regular cab and no 4 wheel drive. Both trucks had the same engine and transmission and other than the 4 wheel drive parts this one is the same except it has power steering is that this one has power steering. Both trucks have had easily over 300,000 miles put on them and both kept right on going and have needed few mechanical repairs. It was because of my previous experience with this truck that I immediately decided to buy the one I have now with no haggling even though I knew it had some minor issues. I didn't care because I knew that after I spent a few hundred on it, I would have a truck that would run dependably for years to come.

Favorite Features

The nearly bullet proof dependability of this truck is fantastic. As late as 1995 consumer reports still considered the 1987-1990 Nissan D21 pick up truck the best used car value that money could buy bar none. Not a single week goes by that someone doesn't offer to buy this truck from me and since a friend is currently borrowing it a neighbor asked me just yesterday if I still had it because he has not seen it for a few weeks and he covets it I always tell prospective buyers the same thing...not a chance...I am going to die with this truck still in my possession.

Suggested Improvements

The only problem with this truck is its lack of power particularly with the extended cab and four wheel drive which make it heavier and therefore it has less power than my previous truck. Going up inclines of any real significance really causes this truck to have to work hard so I wish it had a little more native power.

It's for the Smithsonian
By ssenjo

1990 Nissan Truck 2dr Regular Cab SB

I was 30 years old and my dad bought me this truck for $7500 cash brand new. I've put 600,000 miles on it. I'm 52 now and feel old but this truck does not (feel old). Runs absolutely perfect. I've changed the oil in it around 90 times. That's key. The odometer quit about 11 years ago, the muffler 8 years ago and the windshield wipers about 9 years ago. I've had 7 windshields, 3 clutches, a water pump, s-belt, several fuel filters, and a couple of brake jobs. No power steering. Electrical system is pretty messed up. Gauge lights unreliable. Windows can barely get rolled up or down. Major sun cracked dashboard. Truck runs perfect. Cost me nothing, basically, for 22 years.

It just keeps going
By j-toocheap

1990 Nissan Truck 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck for $750 in 07. At the time the truck had just turned over to 200,000 miles. I currently have 209,000 miles on it and I am sure it will go a lot farther. This truck is not my daily driver. It is used for camping, hauling kayaks, moving mulch, dirt, furniture, etc. It often sits for a month without being started but always fires up right away and does whatever I ask of it. This truck has been a great investment for me. It serves my purposes and is very utilitarian. I have had many people offer to take it off my hands. The only maintenance I have done is some exhaust work, one brake line, a and a fuel line. Cost was not more than $450. Truck is 25 yrs old in 2 mo

Favorite Features

Reliability, size, and basic design.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders would be nice.

Runs forever 89 nissan pickup
By runs forever

1990 Nissan Truck 2dr Regular Cab SB

Amazing little truck. I have had this rig for 16 years and it was already 5 when I bought it. 1989 Nissan standard pickup. It has 225,00 miles on it, been up and back the Alcan twice, driven all over the NW in places most folks use 4x4. I have used it hard, put some dollars into it, and it just keeps on ticking. Starts no problem in well below zero Montana winter. The body is going to rust, but the motor will run forever and ought to be sent to Peru to grind corn or something.

Favorite Features

tough little rig. great mileage, was 28 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

paint and body fade and rust.

Tonka Toy
By MachNone

1990 Nissan Truck 2dr Regular Cab SB

I am the second owner of this vehicle (bought in 1997) and as of Dec 2009 it has 271K miles with no signs of quitting. Have only replaced the water pump, which turns out failed due to an over-tightened belt. Also, the truck survived a major multi-vehicle accident where it was both rear-ended and broad- sided. Driver-side wheel well and engine compartment were compacted, but all components still functioned! Insurance totaled the truck anyway and took it off the road. No problem. I simply replaced the tail-lights and got the thing re- registered as a salvage vehicle. Cost to fix my spine cost way more than the tail lights and road test.

Favorite Features

Near indestructible. It does help that the truck is bare-bones. Stick-shift and no power anything (except brakes).

Suggested Improvements

No "intermittent" wiper mode. I had to suggest something!