Nissan won't warranty Known Axle Issue.
By brad100 on
2005 Nissan Titan 4dr Crew Cab XE 4WD SB (5.6L 8cyl 5A)
I took it in for brake service at about 56,000 miles and learned it had a leak in the rear axle seal on the passenger side. Nissan replaced the seal under warranty. I questioned if the axle was bad and was informed it was fine. 12,000 miles later it leaked again. This time I was informed of a Technical Bulletin stating the axle, bearing and seal should have been replaced as a unit. I complained all the way to Nissan Corporate and was informed they would not warranty it outside of the 60,000 mile warranty. Even though this was a pre existing problem and was not fixed right the first time. I will never buy another Nissan product because of this. They did not care!
Favorite Features
Nice engine power.
Suggested Improvements
Warranty the vehicle completely. Stand behind your product Nissan!
By usmarine4
on 05/25/14 13:05 PM (PDT)

Same experience as Brad regarding the passenger side rear axle seal. Just AFTER it was out of warranty, Nissan maintenance reported that the real axle seal was leaking (38000 miles). He had pushed a screwdriver under the seal and got some oil on it - highly suspect. No sign of any exterior to the seal leaks. (Watch out for maintenance folks). I now have 111,000 miles and the maint folks says reports the seal leaking. After an additional 75,000 miles, maybe it is NOW. Other than that, absolutely no problem with the vehicle - NONE! I change oil & filter every 3750 miles; air filter about every 10000 (highway driving). At 100,000 I changed ALL fluids in the vehicle. I have had my brakes checked expecting their needing changing, the mechs estimated another 30000 miles - original brake pads. Only issue I had was passenger side door lock malfunctioned. I contacted Nissan customer service in LA. They initially said tough luck - out of warranty, but after I pointed out this is my 6th Nissan product, they paid for replacing the door lock. Can't beat that. New issue popped up last year. Even though I wax the vehicle twice a year, an area on the hood and roof above the drivers side has shaded white (gray truck). At first I thought that something from a truck may have caused it (hood was first to shad) but after the white shading on the roof appeared it became obvious that there is a problem with the paint quality used on the truck. I tried rubbing it out, but only comes off once I go deeper into the paint - not good. I also discovered that Nissan touch up paint doesn't match either - probably due to age of my paint job. That said, the truck is solid. Carries heavy loads e.g. 1 ton of gravel without a problem; hauled a heavy U-Haul trailer in my last move - forgot it was back except when I glanced out the rearview mirror. Tires that come with the truck are junk - last just about 22000 miles. Tried 2nd set, same problem. Bought a set of Michlin tires - they have been on the truck for 45000 miles and I estimate I will get another 40000 out of them - very little wear. Battery - love it. I changed it at 7 years just from concern - it had not failed. My neighbor who bought his Titan at same time is still running on the original battery! Interior holds up well especially the seats, no sign of wear. Plenty of overhead storage and a center console storage unit that can be raised to open the middle front seat area. Lots of cup holders - love that!! Used the jack only once to raise a shed that I built to increase its height above ground - really strong and easy to use. The cost of the new Nissans are outrageous. I will have to investigate the Toyota Tundra next time since there is not a lot of difference in cost. PS- paid $17300 in 2005 for my Titan. I had two Chevy trucks - no where near the quality as the Nissan truck.