Used 2005 Nissan Titan Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Titan Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Titan Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Titan model:

Great Truck
By Jason

2005 Nissan Titan Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SE Rwd SB (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

I am the second owner for my 2005 Titan. I have owned the ruck for almost 7 years and have put the majority of the miles on it. To understand my perspective, I do all of my own maintenance and repairs on my vehicles, I perform all maintenance on schedule, for the most part, and do not have a lead foot when driving. Throughout my ownership I have only had to replace the front and rear brakes once each, However I am a fairly easy driver that does minimal towing so I do not stress my brakes. I have had no major mechanical issues or major repair expenses. Here is a list of what I have replaced or repaired over the course of 100,000 miles of ownership:

-ECM Relay due to recall
-EVAP Canister Purge valve at 150000 mile due to check engine light for P0455 code
-Front and rear brakes once each due to wear
-Starter to due issues where I had to turn the key a few times to get it to start. Starter is under intake manifold so it is a pain, but it only took me a few hours one evening to replace
-Replaced tailgate latch due to broken clips
-Replaced rear axle breather because they can become an issue and blow axle seals if clogged. Mine was rusty.
-Regular maintenance items (spark plugs, filters, PCV valve, fluids)
Rear parking brake shoes - One side started to delaminate and I heard a crunching sound in the rotor where the parking brake is.
I am going to replace front shocks/struts due to one seeping fluid.

So after 10 years and 157000 miles that is all that has gone wrong with my truck and it still drives as well as I can remember.

The truck has plenty of power and drives smooth on the highway. I am really fond of the interior space, especially in the back seat. The ride can be a bit harsh and there are small rattles in the cab and body here an there, but it is a truck not a Cadillac. Overall I am very pleased with my purchase and plan on keeping this truck until it literally falls apart. In an effort to see what other trucks are like and if they are any better I have test driven and rented Chevys, Fords, and Dodges and I honestly cannot justify "upgrading" or changing trucks for what amount to a few mpg gas mileage increase and an upgrade in creature comforts (driver info, bluetooth, etc). $40,000 buys a lot of gas and repairs on my 10 year old truck.

Overall I am very pleased with this truck. As with any car or truck, you get out of it what you put into it. If you take care of it it will last as long as you want it to.

The wost truck suspension ever experienced!
By littletitan

2005 Nissan Titan Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XE 4WD SB (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

Bought the truck brand new in 2005.
Start having big problem three years later.
Bearings on both rear-wheels
are broken which lead to oil leak and cost too expensive to repair ($450 for each side).
A year after replaced both rear wheels' bearings, the rear wheel spring attachment to the body was broken due to rust and poor welding.
Twelve months later, the bearing at the T bar nearby the trans. was broken and caused the oil leak, cost too $450 to repair. Then later, 2 backup sensors were out and were replaced.
This truck was a biggest disappointment to me.
I finally gave up on this truck and sold it in 2012.
Nissan knew a bout this problem on all Nissan trucks but careless to recall.

I could not afford to keep spending money on repairing the differential parts and suspension parts so I ended up to tray in for anF-150 in 2012. It was a nightmare to own a Titan truck for me.

Nissan won't warranty Known Axle Issue.
By brad100

2005 Nissan Titan Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XE 4WD SB (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

I took it in for brake service at about 56,000 miles and learned it had a leak in the rear axle seal on the passenger side. Nissan replaced the seal under warranty. I questioned if the axle was bad and was informed it was fine. 12,000 miles later it leaked again. This time I was informed of a Technical Bulletin stating the axle, bearing and seal should have been replaced as a unit. I complained all the way to Nissan Corporate and was informed they would not warranty it outside of the 60,000 mile warranty. Even though this was a pre existing problem and was not fixed right the first time. I will never buy another Nissan product because of this. They did not care!

Nice engine power.

Warranty the vehicle completely. Stand behind your product Nissan!

Titan Impresses Thus Far
By kenitzer

2005 Nissan Titan Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LE FFV 4WD SB (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

We purchased our 05 Titan 4x4 3 mo. ago with 72K miles from a local used car lot.
I looked at over 40 4x4 trucks and had trouble finding one that was well cared for and had reasonable mileage.
When I saw this truck I was impressed, but some online reviews made me worry about quality and reliability.
Since correcting a CEL issue and doing some minor deferred maintenance, it has been a great truck.
We only use it for hauling and towing so it's not a daily driver - good thing at only 13 mpg.
So far so good.
We pulled a 12' UHaul trailer moving my son to OH a few wks ago and the trip was great.
I am loving this truck more and more each day.
I hope it provides years of reliable service.

Interior Comfort, Towing Capacity, Interior & Exterior Styling, Reliability.

Best truck I've ever owned
By here2there

2005 Nissan Titan Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SE Rwd SB (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased my truck used with 36,000 miles from a dealership.
This was my second Nissan product.
Had a Frontier crew cab that was extremely reliable and was the reason I purchased another Nissan.
Have had very good service when oil changes and recalls were performed.
Another feather in the Nissan cap.
Dealership performance is another reason I bought Nissan.
This Titan is solid.
I have hauled an economy car from SC to MI without any problems.
Have pulled my 18 foot boat on the weekends and it's pulls like a dream.
Use the Titan for many other projects and I can't see myself doing without it.
Love the styling and always gets compliments.
Neighbor bought one because he liked mine.

Plenty of storage for all my stuff. Under the seat storage, overhead storage, storage on the doors, and plenty of storage in the center between front seats. Dash layout is superb. The push button rear window with defrost is awesome! With all the windows down, you feel the wind going down the road like a convertible. I have large extnedable tow mirrors and they are very useful. Plenty of chrome and if you want more you can add grill inserts, chrome badging for the tailgate, and chrome step bars. I have a Bak-Flip bed cover that keeps all my gear dry and folded all the way up have full use of my bed. The 5.6 litre engine is very reliable. Please don't change this engine.

Would like to see storage in the crew floor.