Used 1992 Nissan Stanza Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Nissan Stanza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stanza model:

I loved the Stanza, but it did not love me.
By emsquared

1992 Nissan Stanza Sedan XE 4dr Sedan

I had a 1992 XE model for about 4 years. It was my college car. I enjoyed driving her super fast and getting speeding tickets right and left. I took care of her, but I drove the car hard. Eventually, at 180k, she caught fire from the distributor cap and part of the hood burned. Then, after getting that fixed, the timing chain went and she was scrap. Even before the big events, the car nickeled and dimed me to death. But boy, did I enjoy that car while it lasted.

Favorite Features

Engine size, speed, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Went through spark plugs and wires like crazy, mediocre gas mileage, was a super loud car.

Best Cheap Car You Can Get
By Blake

1992 Nissan Stanza Sedan XE 4dr Sedan

Great car. Bought it for $800 6 years ago. 86K. Used it as just a work car and the timing chain just broke at 126K. Had to put on a new front axle, fuel injector and muffler. Other then that just normal oil changes. Always started in subzero weather. Other then the few repairs in 6 years this car was super reliable. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a great A B car.

Favorite Features

2.4 Engine. Plenty of power for such a small car.

Suggested Improvements

Paint was flaking heavily and decent amount of rust. But hey it was 18 years old.

Love MY Stanza!
By lemmon22

1992 Nissan Stanza Sedan XE 4dr Sedan

Love my car...fast 2.4L engine. My car has over 230,000 miles on it and I have actually been given offers to sell my car. Hmmm, I think the word is out and ppl know what's under the Stanza's hood. Her looks are deceiving, lol. She's a gas saver too! Over the 6 yrs that I have owned her, everything I have done kindof adds up (alternator, plug wires, distributor and cap, starter, rack pinion, outer tie rods, and electrical window switch on driver's side), but I DO NOT HAVE a car payment ppl! I trust this car and will definitely buy another Nissan. Oh, and changing the rack pinion and outer tie rods...$700 this last weekend....well worth it...I never had a car drive so straight!

Favorite Features

Fast for a 4 cylinder, yet gas efficient, and the fact that it has over 230,000 miles amazes me in the quality...I have to give myself credit for maintaining it properly too.

Suggested Improvements

Am I allowed to suggest improvements on a 1992 car??? This is a very well made car! She amazes me!

A well-built and reliable car
By stanzafan

1992 Nissan Stanza Sedan XE 4dr Sedan

This car has over 201,000 miles, and had very few problems until very recently like water pump and radiator, and the o-ring on the distributor shaft. Over 16 years, these plastic and rubber parts have become brittle and need to be replaced. But overall reliability has been remarkable. After some cleaning/servicing, it runs quite smoothly, not less than it was new.

Suggested Improvements

The flex exhaust pipe got in the way of the oil pan, and the material for the pipe is not durable. The material for the radiator disintegrates after 16 years (cracks all over).

Low maintenance vehicle
By zzyzzyva

1992 Nissan Stanza Sedan XE 4dr Sedan

This car has been outstanding from the maintenance viewpoint. Replacing an alternator at 160,000 miles, air- conditioner compressor at 157,000 miles, and had cruise control problems at 140,000 miles. Otherwise, just changing the oil every 3,000 miles and replecing battery and plugs, hoses and belts is the extent of maintenance I've done. I wouldn't be afraid to take off today and drive across the U.S. in it. It's been and remains a great car. I now have a 2000 Maxima that I think is another winner.

Favorite Features

Low maintenance costs; great gas mileage; superb acceleration

Suggested Improvements

Better road noise isolation