2013 Nissan Sentra Consumer Review: Brake failure

2013 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Review

2013 Nissan Sentra

S Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. CVT Automatic)

Brake failure
By nurse1369 on

2013 Nissan Sentra S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I posting on this site seeking help. I have about 16,000 -17,000 miles on my car (its in the shop now so I cant look) and my brakes completely failed while driving. I was going about 50 on a service road and my car acted as if it was going to stale. So I decided to slow down and pull into a parking lot. When I tried to apply the brake I couldn't even push the pedal down. It was as if a brick was under my break. So I turned my car off and coasted into the parking lot. Thank the Lord no one was in my way. I sat there for 15 minutes and turned my car back on. I started to drive around the parking lot and it acted fine. I took to the dealership and they stated they couldn't find anything wrong.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By t_spross
on 07/16/14 07:13 AM (PDT)

So something happened for your car to stall. Like most cars, without the engine assist, the power brakes won't work. I don't know how strong you are but everyone should know what to expect when an engine stalls. Virtually all brands have power brakes. Every driver should simulate a failure to learn what to expect. On an open straight road with no traffic you should be going like 45 - 50. Then you should shift to neutral, turn off the ignition one notch or maybe some models two notches and then back one, such that the engine is off but the steering wheel is not locked. Now you are coasting , after a few moments the remaining engine vacuum will dissapte and you will no longer have any power assist on the brakes, (Some cars you may still have some vacuum and so some power to the brakes. In this case light and repeatable tap the brakes until it feels like a brick under the pedal.) Now that it feels like a brick, see how applying a lot of pressure on the pedal will apply the bakes and you can stop the car. You may have to have both feet on the brake and pushing with all your strength. Every driver should know what their feels like in this situation. The next time there might be traffic and pedestrians and preexisting knowledge about how hard you have to push is very important. This is not required on any state driver's test, but it should be in my opinion. While you are at it do the same thing in an empty parking lot and learn how much strength it takes to steer the car into a parking spot without power steering. It can require a lot of strength, but you should know what to expect. Byt the way you should also know how to start your car while coasting in neutral. If the engine stalls while moving , shift to neutral, and then turn the key to start, the engine should start and then shift back to drive and continue on your merry way. You don't have to stop. Every driver should know how to do these things.

By silenthill2007
on 06/22/14 07:33 AM (PDT)

Is your car! Take it to another mechanic for a diagnostic. And you pay a lot for those cars for the confort not for quality. You have to take care of your vehicle from day one! Possibly your master brake reservoir is blown.