Very Pleased So Far
By emgrtrct on
2013 Nissan Sentra SR 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)
I've owned my Sentra SR with the Driver's Package for one week. I previously drove a 10-year old Corolla with a lot of life left in it but in looking toward the future, now was the right time to make a purchase. I am a lifelong Toyota owner and am hoping this car is as reliable as my Toyotas have been. I compared the 2013 Corolla, Mazda 3, Jetta, Civic, Elantra and Sentra. Each had its benefits and drawbacks - it comes down to finding the right fit for the driver. I do not feel like I am driving an "economy" car which was part of the appeal of the Sentra. I have heard it called the "Small-tima" because it closely resembles the Altima.
Favorite Features
The overall styling and the space (everywhere!) for a car of its class. The amount of room in the trunk was the best of all the cars I considered. I did not plan to buy the SR (sport) model but the 17 inch wheels do make a difference. The ride is smoother. The Driver's Package had all the amenities I was looking for without a lot of extras that didn't interest me. The design of the dash, the accessibility of the controls and the overall comfort are very good. I am short and still have good visibility which is not so easy to find these days.
Suggested Improvements
The sounds from the CVT are not loud but are different as is the feel of the drive. I'm sure in time I will not notice them at all. The criticism that the car does not have "power" is valid but I was not looking for that and it was not noticeably different from the other cars in its class, with the exception of the Mazda 3, which is a very fun car to drive. Very responsive with a lot of "get up and go." For the terrain I drive (some hills, mostly level ground), it is more than sufficient. If I lived in a mountainous area, I might not choose the Sentra. Other than these observations, there isn't much to improve.
By ofcourse1
on 07/07/13 00:22 AM (PDT)

I do live in a mountainous area, and went for a drive in the mountains yesterday. The car did much better than I expected. The O/D off function works beautifully when coming down out of the mountain.