Used 2012 Nissan Sentra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

2012 Nissan Sentra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Clunking Noises
By ecallahan

2012 Nissan Sentra Sedan 2.0 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Bought 2012 Nissan Sentra SE..I am sick of all the clunking noises when I drive slow ..backing up..turning wheel etc. I have been at the shop 3x they say its normal .Its driving me nuts I just bought the car 1 month ago and I hate it. It also does like aloud grind only the 1st time it goes between 1.5 and 2.5 rpm and you can feel it on the gas pedal as well. I am not happy with this car at all !!!!

Favorite Features

I like the size

Suggested Improvements

EVERYTHING

30 MPG town and 35-36 MPG Highway (under 75mph)
By fburns

2012 Nissan Sentra Sedan 2.0 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Great car, clean, a little to high of a coefficient of drag. Wife and I hypermill and can get the CVT to get us 30 MPG town and 35-36 MPG Highway (under 75 mph). If you drive like a 16 year old boy in heat, the CVT will keep you in the power band and use up a lot of gas, its true. If you drive smartly, it serves you well. Great handling/excellent lateral g for a car of its class (2.0 S model). Look, standing acceleration from stop (0-60mph) is poor; however, passing acceleration (60-80mph) can't be beat since it has high torque and the CVT revs it to 6500RPM. If you really need to get going, put it in Low until you reach 30mph, it will improve the start 0-60, but not usually recommended.

Favorite Features

The 6 speaker, 4 by 6x9's and 2 tweeters sound great, other person must have had poor luck. 160 Watts of deepish bass and brightish highs, though any after market you get will improve most sound systems. I really like the sound, and I am an audiophile who misses cd quality sound (100+ signal/noise) and Ipod jack is great. We also love the mpg in city with traffic and hypermilling, though if you get the 2013 Sentra and drive smartly, you can get over 40mpg by hypermilling! We got 43-44mpg cross country in a rental. Very impressive. Inside is clean. Also gotta love the use of a timing chain instead of a timing belt. Strict on maintenance so hopefully no CVT troubles for a long time.

Suggested Improvements

We erred on buying the extended warranty (Nissan Gold) after the initial one ends because we are afraid that the CVT will fail after 100k miles, yet I can't find many reliable sources for this happening to this model. The CVT can get excellent for mpg; however, there have been hints of heavier cars by Nissan where the CVT's fail relatively early in a car's life span. Their choice to make it a complete replacement of a failed CVT is not fun. I suggest if you have a wife that can drive one, buy the manual and hypermill. Nissan's will last you 250k miles as long as you keep up with maintenance, including taking care of the body to prevent corrosion. 1986 pathfinder 245k before clutch died.

got horrible gas mileage!!!!
By chevypat83

2012 Nissan Sentra Sedan 2.0 SR 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I got my certified pre own sentra just 4 mounths ago and hate it now! I traded in my 2002 pt cruiser for ths becase it was newer and had all the options(except leather and auto dimming mirror)but I just drive it back and forth to work and I only live like 7 miles from work and the past few mouths ive gotten 18mpg or less! and the comfort is horrable too wish never traded my pt!

I think I got a bad one
By randis623

2012 Nissan Sentra Sedan 2.0 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I loved the car when I first got it on 1/31/2012. It did perfect at first, did the "clunk" at 25 - 30 mph and was told it was normal for the car. But it wasnt long before I started to notice little things and some big that were going wrong and I babied this car. About 5 months into ownership the window regulator failed and had to be replaced. A month or so later I started to notice a lot of clunking when I would back up, not cv joint type noise, but more like a series of little clunks. The driver side door and hood seemed to be poorly aligned as the door scraped the paint off the running board and the hood had a major gap on one side. The last straw was the failure of the A/C. I traded it.

Favorite Features

the car was cute and well styled. didnt have a lot of bells and whistles but it was good with the price. I really did like the car and planned to keep it for a long while. I just think I got a bad one.

Suggested Improvements

I think nissan could put a little more effort in making the lower priced nissans: the sentra and the versa. I traded my 2012 sentra for a 2013 altima and the ride and drive are 2 completely different worlds. Like comparing a pinto and a BMW. Also think they could improve of the seat belts. One of the back seat belts, the plastic part where the metal clicks into, cracked all by itself. Didnt give me the confidence that it would keep my babies safe in an accident.

2012 Nissan Sentra S (Auto)
By gary01

2012 Nissan Sentra Sedan 2.0 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Great car for cheap money. The car feels solid and is very quiet. The car handles great with a smooth ride. The only downside is gas mileage, I get between 24 and 28 mpg. I got the same mileage with my V6 Honda Accord. I expected better mileage with a 4 cyl. engine.

Favorite Features

Solid Feel

Suggested Improvements

Better Fuel Economy