Sentra CVT good commuter
By Music Lover on
2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)
With over 20,000 miles on the car, I am very pleased with the Sentra. I use it to commute ~40 miles each way per day. Add to that weekend day trips and one 2,400 mile trip. I drive with a light foot most of the time (engine about 2,500 rpm while accelerating), and I find it smooth and quiet. When driven hard, it can be noisier than some of it's peers. It has plenty of power for passing and mountain driving, even fully loaded. It find it very comfortable, even on long trips. I average 34-36 mpg driving the speed limit (65-70) in typical highway commuting, but as low as 27 mpg with mostly short trips. I've gotten as high as 38 mpg on a tank-full on the open road at 65 mph.
Favorite Features
The CVT is excellent and the first transmission I've ever driven that is cruise-control friendly when on hills and rolling terrain. Intelligent key and built-in hands free are nice touches. OD-off button good for engine braking and occasionally increasing responsiveness. Safer than most peers.
Suggested Improvements
Stock "all-season" tires completely unsuitable for winter driving. The car "jumps" a bit too much over large bumps. Would be better if delay when shifting between park -> drive and drive -> reverse was shorter. Gas pedal is too sensitive and one must "work" to keep engine rpm quiet/efficient.