Used 2008 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Very Impressed
By Mark

2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I will say that I looked at the Honda Civic and the Toyota Corolla. The Sentra was levels above on both. The Sentra with the CVT made the deal even better. Overall the Sentra had a great feel and value as well as great fuel economy.

CVT is amazing. The auxiliary port I love that being able to just connect my iPod. Also standard power windows and locks are nice. Not to mention the drive is very smooth and quiet.

Really, I wouldn't improve too much. Very well built vehicle and smooth to drive.

Excellent buy
By CTM

2008 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Wondering about MPG? If I keep my foot out of it I can average 30 mpg. Usual avg is 27. I get 36 mpg hwy in 6th going 55-60 mph. It can run on regular, no problems, but I use premium for more power. I installed an Injen CAI and it SIGNIFICANTLY made more power. Worth every penny and with about 3 months of use no problems. The seats are very comfortable on long trips. The trunk is huge. The glove box is huge. I outrun CooperS, GTI, VR6 no problems. The affordable price is great. Not as fast as a Speed3 but it costs $5-$6k less. Avoid the Rockford stereo. It sounds good when not moving. But roll windows down and it is easily drowned out. Tires are great dry, bad in snow.

Shifter location, black interior, head room, hip room, seats are great, subdued exterior look-- no big spoilers or hood scoops. Size of the trunk and the trunk opening itself-- both are huge. LSD is an essential upgrade. Wheels look good. Brakes are excellent and stop on a dime. Unbeatable price.

Get rid of the gauges on the dash (g-meter and oil), they are childish and I have yet to look at them once while driving. I'd rather have the regular Sentra's storage cubbie. The Rockford stereo is weak. It cannot overcome road noise. 6.5" speakers up front instead of 6x9s.

Smooth Operator
By Dan

2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This is a great car. We were first attracted to the elevated seat height, about 6 inches higher than Altima or Maxima. There is plenty of headroom and legroom for my 6'5" frame. The car is very smooth and quiet on the road (think Buick) and handles very well. Very little body lean while cornering (think Jetta). The CVT works very well but it took some getting used to. Forget the tachometer and just drive. Aggressive driving has very little effect on fuel economy. It accelerates very nicely if you step on it. I have been getting 30+ MPG in suburban driving and 35 MPG on trips. It is the quietest car I have owned. You can carry on a normal conversation will passengers in the front or back.

Smooth quiet ride. Nice handling. Comfortable pit. Good fuel economy.

Better cup holders. Small compartment (for sunglasses) next to steering column is cheap. The door fell off and I have had to snap it back together on occasion.

Happy SE-R owner
By Darren

2008 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I picked up the SE-R in May of 2008 to replace my 2000 Grand AM GT. This car is well worth it. Excellent mileage. It looks great, not too over the top. Acceleration is brisk, but not rocket fast. It handles well with a sporty feel, corners better than my Grand Am GT ever did. The interior is roomy and can fit 3 booster seats for kids across the back row (tight fit, but it works). Front seats are great. Trunk is large and easy to access. Upgraded Rockford Fosgate Stereo is powerful and clear. 6 Disc changer is a nice feature, but most will use their MP3 players in the aux jack more than the changer. Gripes are few, no cup holders in the rear and back bench does not split or fold.

Love the paddle shifters for those times when you want to have some fun. 17" rims look great. XM radio is a nice touch, and the stereo sounds great. Love the adjustable cupholders. Every car company should copy these. Engine is quiet and responsive. AC fan is super quiet and works well.

Cupholders in rear and split fold bench would be the only improvements I could suggest. Steering wheel audio controls and bluetooth would be nice too. None of these should stop any potential buyers however.

Highly recommend
By defabz

2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0 SL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I have 5,250 miles on my Sentra, and I absolutely love it. I had a 2006 Sentra, but there is no comparison. It is perfect for a small family, even when traveling. The back seat is quite comfortable. I was not getting a new car until one with leather and a sunroof was in my budget. Well, I got that plus blue tooth, upgraded stereo, keyless, and more. Gas mileage has been excellent - 30 when mostly in town, 35-38 on hwy. Gas mileage drops quickly if you drive aggressively, so I have had to really adjust to get the better efficiency. Final deciding factor - Nissan negotiates! I got it for $2,000 below dealer cost and in the color I wanted (transferred in).

Leather, sunroof, xm stereo with aux in, blue tooth, smart keyless entry. The keyless saved me (twice) from locking keys in the cabin and trunk - it unlocked/popped open and beeped at me! CVT is very smooth.

Dash is too bright when lights are off - that is my reminder to turn the lights on. I thought the tire pressure indicator would be great, but it is unreliable. First it came on when the tires were fully inflated, then twice it didn't come on when the tires were under inflated, sigh.