Used 2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

2008 Nissan Sentra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

CVT TRANSMISSION
By pswanee

2008 Nissan Sentra Sedan 2.0 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This is the third transmission installed on my 2008 Nissan Sentra. After 67,672 miles the first one broke down where the car had to be towed 95 miles to the Nissan Dealer. The second one broke down at 68,845, only 2 weeks after getting it back, 173 miles. Nissan extended their warranty on this CVT transmission, because of the problems, from 5 years 60,000 miles to 10 years 120,000 miles. Since the transmission broke down at 7,672 miles from the initial warranty, the BBB advised the Lemon law cannot be applied since it is after the initial warranty 5 years 60,000 miles even though it was extended. Nissan being aware of this will not buy back the vehicle but just keeps replacing the transmissi

Favorite Features

until 10 years 120,000 miles. The CVT transmissions on this car keeps burning up where they no longer work. It is very unsafe and unreliable to take on any long trips. They are aware of this problem and just keep replacing it with rebuilt transmissions. Buyers Beware!!!

Poor servide
By phobbs1

2008 Nissan Sentra Sedan 2.0 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Do not buy a Nissan if you ever expect to need parts. Tree limb fell on car damaging roof. Have been waiting for roof and attenna for over seven weeks. At four weeks wrote Nissan customer service but no response. Also talked to dealer where I purchaes Orland Park Nissan Illinois and was told nothing they could do. Its now 8 weeks and still back order.

Suggested Improvements

Respond to customer needs in a timely fashion, not just care about sales.

2008 Sentra 2.0 Pro's N' Con's
By ronjr69

2008 Nissan Sentra Sedan 2.0 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Pro's, Nice color (Onyx Blue) good paint finish, decent stereo, decent mpg (31-34 mpg @ 70 mph), quiet ride, roomy, good AC, adjustable cupholder, reliable (so far) Con's, No ABS standard, no cruise control, hard seat's, aux. in should be in center console, drivers seat should be centered behind steering wheel, steering wheel should be a softer material, can't read LCD displays with polarized sunglasses on, oversteer, can't fit my foot between brake pedal and center console to reach gas pedal (have to push tippy-to and is uncomfortable on long drives), lot's of body sway when windy or near trucks at speed, bland performance, handling, car is seriously under engineered, can't believe no ABS

Favorite Features

Stereo, quiet ride, decent mpg, reliability. Overall, I get out of this car pretty much what I expect from a lower tier vehicle, am surprised that there is no standard ABS, or cruise control, I've driven it about 15K and no major problems (I noticed the brake light had come on after my first maintanence oil change), there is a recall on this, will get it fixed, can't find a leak and it stops O.K. (for no ABS), I would have prefered a Ford Focus or Fiesta, or a Chevy Cruise, but they did not offer me financing, Nissan went out of thier way to help me purchase this vehicle, I paid too much, but that is expected.

Suggested Improvements

Make ABS Standard!, move brake pedal to the left or make it smaller, ditch the CVT and add a 5 spd standard, softer material for steering wheel, LED's instead of LCD for radio display, center drivers seat behind the steering wheel (I thought it was me, but my friend noticed it almost immediately) if you include power windows/locks, int wipers, it's a no brainer to also include cruise control, move aux. in to center console, it's untidy to have wires dangling from your dash, make center console higher so it can be used as an arm rest, lower ride height so car doesn't sway out so much in turns and has lower profile in wind and truck turbulance, lower driver's seat.

Brakes or noise
By Alene Hill

2008 Nissan Sentra Sedan 2.0 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I've taken this car back to Nissan 5 times because when I apply brakes there's a grinding noise even after the rotors have been checked and new brake pads have been installed after I got a second opinion this noise still occurs I'm afraid that if this continues to happen a worst problem will occur I've driven enough cars to know that is not normal, but I'm being told by the sales people and the service manager that this is no problem. I'm a senior citizen and I feel that I've been sold a lemon and that I will have to deal with it for 72 months the length of my contract. Per auto check this car has been in an accident. I need to know the Truth about.

Good car
By tezza

2008 Nissan Sentra Sedan 2.0 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

My Nissan gets 32 mpg, with 80 percent highway traveling 70 mph. Pretty good gas mileage. The outside of the car is Rather mundane. The trunk has plenty of room for a car of this size. Interior wise, the seat is uncomfortable due to poor lumbar support. I use a lumbar cushion to offset (I think this problem has been corrected in the 2010 model). The steering wheel tilts but does not telescope which is a problem for drivers with longer legs. The stereo is good but not great. Strangely, the air conditioning is very good. The transmission is fantastic. The car lopes along at very low rpm and at first you have to get used to the fact that it doesn't shift. Engine is good.

Favorite Features

Transmission Air conditioning

Suggested Improvements

Telescoping steering wheel. More comfortable seat with good lumbar support (this may have been corrected in later models) Update styling so it looks better (Versa is nicer styled in my opinion).