Used 2008 Nissan Sentra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 169 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Sentra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2008 Nissan Sentra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Warm Slippers
By Rimantas Aukstuolis

2008 Nissan Sentra Sedan 2.0 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

We bought the car new in 2008 and now have 111,000 miles. Normal maintenance, replaced part of exhaust system. Otherwise totally reliable.The "expert" review is critical of the ride smoothness. Let me be clear. This is the most comfortable riding car I have ever owned in over 40 years of car ownership. I attribute it to the French, Renault heritage of the chassis platform. If I have a criticism of the suspension it may be that the smoothness of the ride does sacrifice some handling characteristics in that it is not nearly as sure footed as my Honda Civic or Subaru Legacy (rock solid). Build quality appears cheap but is functional and durable. Exterior I believe is classic. Smooth lines. Subsequent model years have messed up a fundamentally clean style. Interior is nothing fancy but comfortable seats, roomy with well placed controls. We bought a hybrid Honda Civic the same time we bought the Sentra for about $8,000 more. Honda was built better with higher quality components, inside and out and better gas milage but we sold the Honda and kept the Sentra for "around town" transport. It's just more comfortable, easier access, more capacity and almost as reliable and trouble free. Like an old pair of well worn slippers. Update: April 2016- still going strong at 115,000 miles. No issues. Great for around town. Maybe I'm too conservative but it probably is still OK even for long trips.

An additional thought. I have experienced relatively poor handling in snow despite using winter tires. A tire store (which has also done repairs and has an incentive to find things wrong) did note an alignment problem in the back end which they said could be fixed with shims but the process of fixing it could rapidly escalate if they broke any of the fittings which were corroded. I opted not to fix and drive on, being careful in snow (with winter tires) and not noticing any appreciable, unusual tire wear. I mention this as there have been other postings which refer to the same alignment problem.

Snappy Sentra
By Steve Rich

2008 Nissan Sentra Sedan 2.0 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This 08 Sentra is called the big mans little sedan,four six footers will be content. Rocket launch acceleration is not in this cars DNA, but hyper milling is the order of the day, every day, and that's how I drive it, it makes me feel like "Cool Hand Luke". Car has been very dependable and very predictable,which is good! One Big Secret to NISSANS is; any CVT Nissan produced from 03-10 has a 10 year, 120,000 mile warranty on the transmission (I called Nissan direct and they read the memo to me over the phone...twice). They had some bad CVT parts out there and wanted to cover their bases! Well done Nissan. I would like to see some better sheet metal designs come out of Nissan, hopefully Carlos will do that (CEO of Nissan). Nice car, I have put about 30,000 miles on it with no problems, well ok the factory tires could be better! Also this 08 Sentra has a nice seat height!

Reliable, economical and not bad looking
By silverelan

2008 Nissan Sentra Sedan 2.0 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Wife and I bought our Sentra new and have been very happy with it after 85000 miles. Just change the oil, follow the maintenance schedule and slap on some new tires as needed.

I love the smooth CVT with no shift points, the engine power won't win any drag races but gets the job done. I have taken the Sentra on several West Coast road trips over mountain passes and even fully loaded we make it thru just fine. Good gas mileage on the freeway though I struggle around 23-25mpg in the city. Newer cars will do better in town but thats to be expected.

Plenty roomy inside and the interior has held up well over the years.

Overall we have been happy with the vehicle.

Two years and going strong.
By psych0student

2008 Nissan Sentra Sedan 2.0 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my 2008 Sentra second hand exactly two years ago; figured I'd give it the credit it deserves by writing a review. Overall, I truly love this car. It's a perfect size (even when moving back and forth from school), very economical (I get from Buffalo, NY to NYC on one tank of gas), reliable, and easy on the eyes. It's at 36k now, so I realize Nissan is going to abandon me for the most part warranty-wise, but I'm not worried because it's been an angel so far.

I love the CVT (the noise doesn't bother me), the interior room (I'm 6' and could still wear a top hat if I wanted to), the economy, and the styling.

Admittedly, the build quality is questionable (it's manufactured in Mexico), and the interior fit and finish could be a little less plastic, but for the money, this car is tops.

2008 Nissan Sentra Problems
By tblaha

2008 Nissan Sentra Sedan 2.0 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Just bought a 2008 Sentra May of 2013 with 67000 miles on it and now have to replace the engine at 83000. Have been in contact with nissan and they WILL NOT
stand behind it, said we are 2nd owners of the car.... I not sure what to do from here

Not to buy a Nissan look elsewhere GM, Ford or Toyota