Used 2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 100 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

I hate this car!
By Bummed Sentra Driver

2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We've had a terrible time with this car. The first issue we had was the CD player ate the disk and won't throw it up. The car overheats constantly. We can't take it out of town for fear of being stranded. It is reluctant starting, it usually takes 3 times to get it to start!

The only nice thing about it - it has a 6 disk changer.

Tire to sun roof make-over!

Great On fuel
By JC4220

2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car is 08 to replace my 04 avalanche gas guzzler (14 mpg). I have to say it was a great decision. When I got the car, I replaced the plugs with the Bosch platinum 4s and replaced the air filter with an increased air flow filter, and gave it an oil change. Since then, I have gotten 59 mpg driving at 55 mph (flat interstate). It's definitely a step or two down from the avalanche but the gas mileage more than makes up. No major problems with the car so far. Perfect little grocery getter.

59 miles per gallon! Good looking little car.

It's a little cramped for a bigger guy (6'2", 220lbs). The keyless entry needs to last longer and the cup holder placement needs to be changed.

Blows my mind, and my head gasket too
By ChristaLynn11

2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Original owner. Good commuter car for someone who does about 80 miles RT daily. Driver seat would benefit from lumbar support. Small back seats with little room and my goodness the cupholders. The two best parts about it are the gas mileage (average almost 30) and the stereo that comes with the Special Edition - it sounds amazing and is my favorite part of the car. I however, did have the blown head gasket issue yesterday, at 51000 miles. Although it was covered by warranty, I still found coming to a near stop with smoke blowing out of my car during rush hour which going 65 mph to be terrifying enough to warn others that this car DOES HAVE an issue with the headgasket going out.

Stereo is amazing, has aux jack from my iPod that makes it sound even better. Great handling, feels a little tight and sporty. Great for commuting to/from work and running around town. Love the fold down seats and the hold for my sunglasses.

Better workmanship on the head gasket issue, and make sure dealers are aware of it. My car was in the shop 3 times before it blew and they finally figured out the issue. Not okay with me - when it blew it was a major hazard and scary to be in. And WOW the cupholder placement is OBNOXIOUS.

Sentra Blues
By Jerry Fair

2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have been a Toyota owner for years and a Toyota mechanic but when I needed a new car I thought I would try my first Nissan. It was a mistake. To compare the design quality of a similar Toyota such as a Corolla to a Sentra is like comparing night and day. Here are some examples. The trunk on a Sentra is much smaller than a Corolla. Additional Sentra problems that Corolla does not have: engine performance-poor. Cruise control is too fast and the trans immediately kicks down. Fuel economy is no where near the 40 MPG other reviews have stated. I get about 28 MPG. Radio sounds bad. CD player is a joke. Who ever designed the cup holder should be bared from auto design for life. I could go on.

Cannot think of a single thing. This car an embarrassment to the Japanese car industry.

Complete redesign from the ground up. Start with a variable advance cam like Toyotas have. Improve the fuel economy. Make the cruise control a slow design. Move the cup holder from in front of the CD.

Jaded
By sdricke

2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My Sentra is an interesting car. I love driving it; handling and brake performance is very impressive. However, I had to have the keyless entry system replaced before I even drove it off the lot, I had to have a warranty repair to fix a leaking head gasket, the car takes a few cranks to start sometimes, and the belt squeels if it is ever humid or raining outside. Beyond those problems, the car is incredibly fun to drive, especially for a one-person commute, and gas mileage is remarkable. Overall, though, I cannot wait to get rid of the car, as I don't really trust the car to last a whole lot longer, something I wish I didn't have to say about Nissan.

Handling and brakes, styling, comfort, power from such an efficient engine. Aux jack for MP3 players, something rarely found on a 2005 model anything.

Make it a car that I could drive and drive and drive confidentially knowing it was up to the task, and move those blasted cup-holders away from the radio!