Used 2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Before you buy
By Before U Buy

2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Traded in my F150 for this car when gas went up to 3 bucks a gallon the first time, I drive 90 miles a day to work, minimum. I don't recommend this car as the head gasket went out at 42,000. The engine was missing, sparkplug #2 did smell like antifreeze, check engine like came on. I changed it myself. 80 bucks for the head gasket. I will say the engine is VERY easy to work on compared to most if you're mechanically inclined. CD player died, now using a MP3 player through aux port. Engine is well designed except the head gasket, lots of people have the same issue I see. Other gaskets are awesome, no sealant needed. If you buy this car, be prepared to fix the head gasket.

Favorite Features

Really like the dash, everything is easy to learn, and can view the dash through the steering wheel. Back seat space is sparse, (no prob, small car). Cup holders too close to dash. Sound system rocks for stock. Love the rear seats folding down, trunk space is awesome for a small car.

Suggested Improvements

Not sure about the next Generation 2007s, but the head gasket should be more reliable, costly repair for sure if your paying a mechanic. The factory roll on silicon is thin as a fingernail. Rest of the engine is awesome though, well designed. Everything else works well.

Get the warranty!
By Just not worth it

2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car and I purchased the car with 23,500 miles on it. At 30,000 I had a problem with the starter hesitating to turn over. I kept up the expensive oil changes and paid for every service that was suggested. At 45,780 the check engine light came on and at 45,970 the heat went. I was informed by Nissan today that the engine has to be replaced to to a bad head gasket that caused several other problems. Thankfully Nissan is covering it but I'm seriously thinking of trading this junk in for another car. A blown head gasket at almost 46,000 miles!

Favorite Features

Color, 6 disk CD changer, huge trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Put a reliable engine in it!

Love most of it
By sammy63

2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used, and bought it mostly for the gas mileage. I figured if it's smaller and less sporty than I wanted it would make up the difference in the mileage. As of today, I am very happy with the purchase, I love the gas mileage it gets (34-40) each tank gets about 37 mpg average. The features are great and so far the only money I have put into this car is for oil changes, brakes and a sensor (which was a bit pricey) for the fuel injector (car had a hard time starting). I now have over 70,000 on it and plan on taking it on a 1200 mile trip, but from reading other reviews, I am concerned about the head gasket. Well... I'm going to take the trip and hope for the best. Great car!!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, driving comfort and features. Love the computer displays. Trip A/Trip B/ DTE/ MPG/ TEMP/ HRS driven.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder location, rear exterior design looks boxy.

I hate this car!
By Bummed Sentra Driver

2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We've had a terrible time with this car. The first issue we had was the CD player ate the disk and won't throw it up. The car overheats constantly. We can't take it out of town for fear of being stranded. It is reluctant starting, it usually takes 3 times to get it to start!

Favorite Features

The only nice thing about it - it has a 6 disk changer.

Suggested Improvements

Tire to sun roof make-over!

Great On fuel
By JC4220

2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car is 08 to replace my 04 avalanche gas guzzler (14 mpg). I have to say it was a great decision. When I got the car, I replaced the plugs with the Bosch platinum 4s and replaced the air filter with an increased air flow filter, and gave it an oil change. Since then, I have gotten 59 mpg driving at 55 mph (flat interstate). It's definitely a step or two down from the avalanche but the gas mileage more than makes up. No major problems with the car so far. Perfect little grocery getter.

Favorite Features

59 miles per gallon! Good looking little car.

Suggested Improvements

It's a little cramped for a bigger guy (6'2", 220lbs). The keyless entry needs to last longer and the cup holder placement needs to be changed.