Used 2005 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Sentra

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

This is the worst car I ever owned.
By Mike

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is hands down the worst car I ever owned. At around 30 thousand kilometers, it started to leak water every time it rained a little bit harder, both passenger and drivers side door rubber/seals. At around 85 thousand kilometers a blown head gasket, astronomical cost to repair, close to $2000. 89 thousand kilometers, check engine light constantly on. I owned several economy class cars before this one and Sentra is hands down the most unreliable car I ever had. I will NEVER own a Nissan again.

Favorite Features

It handles fine for an economy car, good on gas.

Suggested Improvements

It's beyond "improvement", Nissan needs to make TOTAL changes when it comes to quality and reliability of their cars.

What a great car!
By LmSpencr

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I drove this car for a route that covered 300+ miles per day. I put over 200k miles on the car in roughly 2 1/4 years, with only the most basic maintenance. I then let the car sit for 8 months. The car still drives like new! The Sentra is indestructible! Even as the fuel economy is solid (I usually averaged 30-32 mpg), the car is not miniature. The acceleration is very good for a 1.8 liter engine, and the tranny is solid. I have a certain sadness as I am trading the car in. I am convinced that it will go another 100k+ miles, but have to move on. I wish the car would meet a happy road ahead, but at 235k miles, I have my doubts. I would not hesitate to recommend Sentra to anyone.

Favorite Features

Engine and transmission are indestructible! The body is solid and pretty safe (found that out the hard way). Brakes are great! Radio is very good. Cruise works well. Fuel economy is solid. Temperature reading and miles to go display are very helpful.

Suggested Improvements

Some improvement to seats would be perfect. Better tires are a must. Better marketing as to the incredible dependability would sell many more Sentras.

Great Car for the Money
By Frontier4x4

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in '05, 1.8s with the Special Edition package (a must!). Rides great, awesome stereo, great on trips, but performance with the A/T leaves a little to be desired. If you need more get up and go, get the 5 spd or drop the coin on one of the SE-Rs. Original tire size is an odd ball but you can step up a width and there are more options. This model Sentra (B15) is know for two issues, the Vapor Canister Purge Valve- easy to change in the driveway but cost $100 and the fuel pump has some valve that stops working and causes hard starting... just turn the key to on for a few seconds- once the pump primes it starts fine.

Favorite Features

Stereo! The stereo, amp and sub enclosure are actually made by Clarion. Rockford Fosgate is only responsible for the sub. SE has SE-R look alike features (seats, grill, wheels, spoiler). Comfortable and handles great! Enjoyable to drive and MPG is awesome... 31/37, seen as high as 41.

Suggested Improvements

Sluggish with A/T, cup holder size and location blocks 6 disc CD changer.

Before you buy
By Before U Buy

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Traded in my F150 for this car when gas went up to 3 bucks a gallon the first time, I drive 90 miles a day to work, minimum. I don't recommend this car as the head gasket went out at 42,000. The engine was missing, sparkplug #2 did smell like antifreeze, check engine like came on. I changed it myself. 80 bucks for the head gasket. I will say the engine is VERY easy to work on compared to most if you're mechanically inclined. CD player died, now using a MP3 player through aux port. Engine is well designed except the head gasket, lots of people have the same issue I see. Other gaskets are awesome, no sealant needed. If you buy this car, be prepared to fix the head gasket.

Favorite Features

Really like the dash, everything is easy to learn, and can view the dash through the steering wheel. Back seat space is sparse, (no prob, small car). Cup holders too close to dash. Sound system rocks for stock. Love the rear seats folding down, trunk space is awesome for a small car.

Suggested Improvements

Not sure about the next Generation 2007s, but the head gasket should be more reliable, costly repair for sure if your paying a mechanic. The factory roll on silicon is thin as a fingernail. Rest of the engine is awesome though, well designed. Everything else works well.

Get the warranty!
By Just not worth it

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car and I purchased the car with 23,500 miles on it. At 30,000 I had a problem with the starter hesitating to turn over. I kept up the expensive oil changes and paid for every service that was suggested. At 45,780 the check engine light came on and at 45,970 the heat went. I was informed by Nissan today that the engine has to be replaced to to a bad head gasket that caused several other problems. Thankfully Nissan is covering it but I'm seriously thinking of trading this junk in for another car. A blown head gasket at almost 46,000 miles!

Favorite Features

Color, 6 disk CD changer, huge trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Put a reliable engine in it!