2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:
Frustrated!
By bigisland808 on 08/16/11 20:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car from the orignal owner with low mileage 30K, seemed like a realiable car. The car well kept, inside and out. Too top it off we did our homework, called the dealership... the lady bought in her car faithfully for service since she bought the car. Only thing was there was a nail in the tire which they fixed 2 months ago. Had the car for 3 weeks with no problem then all of a sudden one morning the car had a hard time starting up. Bought into the dealership the very next day and they said that I had a blown headgasket. Nissisan claims it was a defect and costs $1800 to be fixed! AGGHH!

2005 (special edition) 1.8L
By spencer16 on 08/10/11 21:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this used with only 3000 miles on it. It was about a year and a half old, an old lady must have only driven it to church or something. We have had no problems. It is at about 50k miles and we have done oil changes every 3000 miles and we have not had any problems. The car is pretty gutless on the get go but on my way home from work the dashboard MPG gauge indicated 43 MPG when going 65 MPH (Idaho drivers are slow) but it saves at the pump! The car takes at least 2 turns of the key for it to start but it always starts. Not sure why.

cars not built the same
By aharter on 07/05/11 10:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 nissan sentra 1.8 . this car is fun to drive and gets good mileage. The problems with this car are crazy for its age and mileage. Two worm gears replaced in the tranny, new head gasket, radio can't get stations in, front windows hardly work when wet, fuel filter is in fuel pump, clear coat in really bad shape, already has rusted and repaired spots, and I really am afraid for my kids and thier future car choices...planned break down vehicles?

Blown Head gasket Problem
By jayfelix on 02/09/11 14:18 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

After 65,000 miles i got a blown head gasket and it seems that many people with the same model car had the same problem. No recall, no responsibility. Needless to say, this will be the last Nissan i will ever own. If you are reading this review, DONT BUY IT!! Unless it's mine. After so much money i put into it, it's running decently enough to sell it.

Good commuter car, Faulty Head Gasket
By Idaho Commuter on 10/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Used as as commuter car, it has done really pretty well until the head gasket issue hit us. Nissan should have recalled these vehicles since it is a known defect. It sure seems like every 2005 Sentra WILL eventually have to have the head gasket repaired at $1000+ ($1200 in our region). Shame on Nissan. It has performed admirably other than this major issue. Nice mileage (Avg 36 mpg), and a work horse for us commuting long distances. With the defective head gasket on these cars, we cannot recommend them. We feel our loyalty to Nissan is forever damaged since they have shown no loyalty back to us by not recalling a known major issue. Buyer beware if the head gasket has not been replaced!

Blown Head Gasket
By CANEW on 09/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This 2005 Sentra has a blown head gasket and the dealership, Conicelli Nissan in Conshohocken PA has tried to cover up the problem for months.

Head Gasket Head Gasket Head Gasket
By Mike on 08/26/10 05:23 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have had two sentras a 2002 and a 2005. I enjoyed the ride in these cars and the handling. They both had head gaskets go out and I have to say that this seems to be a problem the sentras. I like the cars but would not buy one just based on the head gaskets. I also had electrical problem with my 2005 the dash lights and wipers would come on and the car would stall all at the same time. Both sentras had problems with the cd player.

not a bad car
By Josh on 09/11/09 18:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have the special edition model. The stereo is awesome for stock. I bought the car with 75000 miles on it. It now has 105000. I havnt had any mechanical problems other than it is a 3 cranker starter, also the brakes (normal wear and tear), the fan blade burning out (easy to replace) and a pulley that is squawking (yet to replace but no real problems with it yet). I'm not sure of any mechanical problems if any the car had before i bought it. I have a lead foot and drive the car hard everyday and the car takes it and then some with ease.

2005 Sentra Special Edition 1.8L Auto
By NewEnglandDevil on 06/15/09 09:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

An excellent vehicle to own and drive, has made my commute (~66 miles/day, + trips to client sites = 100+ miles occasionally) affordable. Blew a head gasket while still under warranty (~48K), needed a chip download to eliminate rough shifting. I've avoided replacing two expensive lights - fog light broke from being packed with snow and 3rd brake light went out. Other than that, no problems and I've had no expensive repairs. Has performed great in NE winter; even managed to get up a ~10% unplowed incline to our winter rental in NH. Previously owned a Nissan Truck (350K) so I'm not expecting any problems with the engine or tranny and I'm at 123K now.

Never Again
By Jim B. on 04/27/09 13:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the second Sentra I have owned and it is clear that the quality of Nissan's cars are not what they once were. Blown Head gasket at 70,000 miles. Tried to work through Customer Service, but they offered no assistance (less than 36 months, but over on miles). This is a design flaw relating to the number 2 cylinder, but Nissan is turning the other way hoping this issue will disappear.