2005 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:
2005 (special edition) 1.8L
By spencer16 on 08/10/11 21:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this used with only 3000 miles on it. It was about a year and a half old, an old lady must have only driven it to church or something. We have had no problems. It is at about 50k miles and we have done oil changes every 3000 miles and we have not had any problems. The car is pretty gutless on the get go but on my way home from work the dashboard MPG gauge indicated 43 MPG when going 65 MPH (Idaho drivers are slow) but it saves at the pump! The car takes at least 2 turns of the key for it to start but it always starts. Not sure why.

Blown Head Gasket
By CANEW on 09/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This 2005 Sentra has a blown head gasket and the dealership, Conicelli Nissan in Conshohocken PA has tried to cover up the problem for months.

2005 Sentra Special Edition 1.8L Auto
By NewEnglandDevil on 06/15/09 09:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

An excellent vehicle to own and drive, has made my commute (~66 miles/day, + trips to client sites = 100+ miles occasionally) affordable. Blew a head gasket while still under warranty (~48K), needed a chip download to eliminate rough shifting. I've avoided replacing two expensive lights - fog light broke from being packed with snow and 3rd brake light went out. Other than that, no problems and I've had no expensive repairs. Has performed great in NE winter; even managed to get up a ~10% unplowed incline to our winter rental in NH. Previously owned a Nissan Truck (350K) so I'm not expecting any problems with the engine or tranny and I'm at 123K now.

Never Again
By Jim B. on 04/27/09 13:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the second Sentra I have owned and it is clear that the quality of Nissan's cars are not what they once were. Blown Head gasket at 70,000 miles. Tried to work through Customer Service, but they offered no assistance (less than 36 months, but over on miles). This is a design flaw relating to the number 2 cylinder, but Nissan is turning the other way hoping this issue will disappear.

What a great car!
By LmSpencr on 01/22/09 20:38 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I drove this car for a route that covered 300+ miles per day. I put over 200k miles on the car in roughly 2 1/4 years, with only the most basic maintenance. I then let the car sit for 8 months. The car still drives like new! The Sentra is indestructible! Even as the fuel economy is solid (I usually averaged 30-32 mpg), the car is not miniature. The acceleration is very good for a 1.8 liter engine, and the tranny is solid. I have a certain sadness as I am trading the car in. I am convinced that it will go another 100k+ miles, but have to move on. I wish the car would meet a happy road ahead, but at 235k miles, I have my doubts. I would not hesitate to recommend Sentra to anyone.

Great Car for the Money
By Frontier4x4 on 12/04/08 18:15 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in '05, 1.8s with the Special Edition package (a must!). Rides great, awesome stereo, great on trips, but performance with the A/T leaves a little to be desired. If you need more get up and go, get the 5 spd or drop the coin on one of the SE-Rs. Original tire size is an odd ball but you can step up a width and there are more options. This model Sentra (B15) is know for two issues, the Vapor Canister Purge Valve- easy to change in the driveway but cost $100 and the fuel pump has some valve that stops working and causes hard starting... just turn the key to on for a few seconds- once the pump primes it starts fine.

Before you buy
By Before U Buy on 12/02/08 07:30 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Traded in my F150 for this car when gas went up to 3 bucks a gallon the first time, I drive 90 miles a day to work, minimum. I don't recommend this car as the head gasket went out at 42,000. The engine was missing, sparkplug #2 did smell like antifreeze, check engine like came on. I changed it myself. 80 bucks for the head gasket. I will say the engine is VERY easy to work on compared to most if you're mechanically inclined. CD player died, now using a MP3 player through aux port. Engine is well designed except the head gasket, lots of people have the same issue I see. Other gaskets are awesome, no sealant needed. If you buy this car, be prepared to fix the head gasket.

Great On fuel
By JC4220 on 09/07/08 12:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car is 08 to replace my 04 avalanche gas guzzler (14 mpg). I have to say it was a great decision. When I got the car, I replaced the plugs with the Bosch platinum 4s and replaced the air filter with an increased air flow filter, and gave it an oil change. Since then, I have gotten 59 mpg driving at 55 mph (flat interstate). It's definitely a step or two down from the avalanche but the gas mileage more than makes up. No major problems with the car so far. Perfect little grocery getter.

Blows my mind, and my head gasket too
By ChristaLynn11 on 05/30/08 11:45 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Original owner. Good commuter car for someone who does about 80 miles RT daily. Driver seat would benefit from lumbar support. Small back seats with little room and my goodness the cupholders. The two best parts about it are the gas mileage (average almost 30) and the stereo that comes with the Special Edition - it sounds amazing and is my favorite part of the car. I however, did have the blown head gasket issue yesterday, at 51000 miles. Although it was covered by warranty, I still found coming to a near stop with smoke blowing out of my car during rush hour which going 65 mph to be terrifying enough to warn others that this car DOES HAVE an issue with the headgasket going out.

Sentra Blues
By Jerry Fair on 05/10/08 06:30 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have been a Toyota owner for years and a Toyota mechanic but when I needed a new car I thought I would try my first Nissan. It was a mistake. To compare the design quality of a similar Toyota such as a Corolla to a Sentra is like comparing night and day. Here are some examples. The trunk on a Sentra is much smaller than a Corolla. Additional Sentra problems that Corolla does not have: engine performance-poor. Cruise control is too fast and the trans immediately kicks down. Fuel economy is no where near the 40 MPG other reviews have stated. I get about 28 MPG. Radio sounds bad. CD player is a joke. Who ever designed the cup holder should be bared from auto design for life. I could go on.