Used 2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Sentra

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

2005 (special edition) 1.8L
By spencer16

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this used with only 3000 miles on it. It was about a year and a half old, an old lady must have only driven it to church or something. We have had no problems. It is at about 50k miles and we have done oil changes every 3000 miles and we have not had any problems. The car is pretty gutless on the get go but on my way home from work the dashboard MPG gauge indicated 43 MPG when going 65 MPH (Idaho drivers are slow) but it saves at the pump! The car takes at least 2 turns of the key for it to start but it always starts. Not sure why.

Favorite Features

I love the AUX in port. I don't have too many CD's but my wife always has the 7 CD slots full. Very nice looking car, if cared for, it runs great!

Suggested Improvements

I am 6 feet tall and I have the front seat pushed back, even with my wife in the pasenger seat, there is very little leg room for an adult in the back seat.

Blown Head Gasket
By CANEW

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This 2005 Sentra has a blown head gasket and the dealership, Conicelli Nissan in Conshohocken PA has tried to cover up the problem for months.

Favorite Features

gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Admit that this car has a blown head gasket problem before a class action suit is filed.

2005 Sentra Special Edition 1.8L Auto
By NewEnglandDevil

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

An excellent vehicle to own and drive, has made my commute (~66 miles/day, + trips to client sites = 100+ miles occasionally) affordable. Blew a head gasket while still under warranty (~48K), needed a chip download to eliminate rough shifting. I've avoided replacing two expensive lights - fog light broke from being packed with snow and 3rd brake light went out. Other than that, no problems and I've had no expensive repairs. Has performed great in NE winter; even managed to get up a ~10% unplowed incline to our winter rental in NH. Previously owned a Nissan Truck (350K) so I'm not expecting any problems with the engine or tranny and I'm at 123K now.

Favorite Features

Sound system, front wheel drive, 16" wheels (wide) for more surface area/traction in snow, mpg/temp/mileage. Cheap to own, use, maintain. Looks are a step up from bargain basement small cars.

Suggested Improvements

N/A

Never Again
By Jim B.

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the second Sentra I have owned and it is clear that the quality of Nissan's cars are not what they once were. Blown Head gasket at 70,000 miles. Tried to work through Customer Service, but they offered no assistance (less than 36 months, but over on miles). This is a design flaw relating to the number 2 cylinder, but Nissan is turning the other way hoping this issue will disappear.

What a great car!
By LmSpencr

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I drove this car for a route that covered 300+ miles per day. I put over 200k miles on the car in roughly 2 1/4 years, with only the most basic maintenance. I then let the car sit for 8 months. The car still drives like new! The Sentra is indestructible! Even as the fuel economy is solid (I usually averaged 30-32 mpg), the car is not miniature. The acceleration is very good for a 1.8 liter engine, and the tranny is solid. I have a certain sadness as I am trading the car in. I am convinced that it will go another 100k+ miles, but have to move on. I wish the car would meet a happy road ahead, but at 235k miles, I have my doubts. I would not hesitate to recommend Sentra to anyone.

Favorite Features

Engine and transmission are indestructible! The body is solid and pretty safe (found that out the hard way). Brakes are great! Radio is very good. Cruise works well. Fuel economy is solid. Temperature reading and miles to go display are very helpful.

Suggested Improvements

Some improvement to seats would be perfect. Better tires are a must. Better marketing as to the incredible dependability would sell many more Sentras.