Used 2005 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Did not age well
By Matt Russell

2005 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My car has 70,000 miles on it. Between 50,000 and 70,000 I have had to replace the catalytic converter, the timing chain, the entire exhaust system, and a whole slew of sensors. The car has become a money pit. I enjoyed the car for the first 50,000 miles, but it has become an unreliable nightmare.

The interior is small but cozy. I'm only 5'7", and I would put that as the limit of what is a comfortable height for a driver or passenger in this car. When it runs, the car is definitely quick and a joy to drive in fast moving traffic. With snow tires, the car is great in the snow. With all seasons, you won't be going anywhere.

More resilient exhaust system, better sensors, better overall quality. This car is really frustrating me and making my life more difficult than it needs to be. After forking out for this next repair, it will be beyond time to get rid of it. It has become a very expensive car to own.

Can't wait to get rid of this nightmare!
By doppelv

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2005 Sentra SE back in 2008, and the best decision I made was to get an extended warranty. Things break on this car that just shouldn't for the age and miles. My head gasket went out at 38K, my motor mounts all went out at 82K. I've had sensors randomly fail, causing the car to stall on the highway. Overall, I'm at the point where I'm just expecting it to break again at any time. If I could afford a new car, this thing would be gone in a heartbeat. It's a money pit, pure and simple, and the nightmare doesn't appear to be ending any time soon.

Decent gas mileage when the car works. That's about it.

Nissan needs to take responsibility for the issues that are so frequently reported. The Head Gasket needs a recall, as does the Crankshaft Sensor (for the 1.8 engine).

Been Pretty Reliable So Far
By myfirstnissan

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my 2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S since Feb. 2009. It had 58,000 miles on it when I bought it, and now has 122,000. Overall it has been a reliable car. In addition to the normal wear & tear stuff with any car you buy, I recently have had to change the rear struts, rotors & brake pads, left lower control arm, right tie rod end, and had an alignment. Overall, so far the car has been good to me.

DON'T IT
By notonissan1

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

March 2005, I purchased my first Nissan. Faithfully maintained. Over a year and over 3K later my mechanic gave up and said take it to Nissan - 3rd cylinder misfire. How can so many owners have the same problem and Nissan doesn't recall it? NO MORE NISSANS for me.

Best car I ever owned.
By jpolack

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had dozens of cars and this has been the best. Purchased used with about 40,000 miles, now about 90,000. Only repairs have been wearout items like tires, battery, etc. Always starts. Have the 5 speed stick shift and it has lots of power, even with the a/c on, which by the way, works very well. Has power windows, power brakes, cd, a/c, cruise control, remote trunk and mirrors, just enough gadgets to be comfortable. It's not a luxury car, but for an econobox, its really a great great car.

Rear defrost, remote entry, fold down rear seat so I can carry lumber, etc.

None