Used 2004 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Sentra

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Most Helpful|
Disappointed
By SE-R Spec V

2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I bought a used 04 SE-R Spec V with only 4,000 miles on it. i'm very disappointed with it. The fuel mileage is average. The first gear is too short and sometimes it is a pain to put it in reverse. The ride is too harsh over little bumps and the suspension is bad. I had front struts replaced after 20K miles and rear twice at 25K and 57K miles. Many little irritating problems like the emergency brake light refuses to go off, it comes with stock summer only tires, factory speakers not that great, no ABS on a car at this price point is ridiculous. Even KIA offers ABS on their much cheaper models.

Favorite Features

Decent fuel economy,

Suggested Improvements

A LOT. The worst is mine came with brembo brakes but no ABS. What the hell? The brakes were useless in rain or snow. Fix the suspension. change the gear ratio so the first gear is not so short or change it to a 5 speed.

Sorry, not a believer
By RNMorton

2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Kick-ass acceleration and solid handling with some wonky oversteer at the limits. But I think the bad news outweighs the good. A chintzy interior - in a $20,000 car I had to tape padding to the hard plastique armrests. Generally cheap feel. And just terrible gas mileage for a four in a light sedan. At 17 or 18 mpg around town I for one would trade some zip for more mileage. With the small gas tank and a nervous computer the car can be begging for gas in less than 200 miles, way too often for me.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, handling, sunroof (option), Brembo brake package(option), sound system

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade interior finish including armrests, improve around-town gas mileage, offer bigger gas tank and more distinctive styling

Poor Reliability
By ncsteve

2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Owned a 93 Nissan Truck , greatest I have ever owned, purchased this 2004 based on my experience with Nissan - boy have I been disappointed, multiple mechanical issues, power steering went, brake master cylinder all by 70,000 miles - now my fuel pump is going - DO NOT PURCHASE

Never Again
By PPerk

2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I way overpaid for a 2004 in 2005, my fault for being in a hurry. Car only had 10500 on it. Have replaced the serpentine belt and both drive belts, the front brakes. The interior looked good when I bought it but the old stains the dealer tried to hide came back - like did they spill a gallon of coffee in the back seat or what? I hold my breath every time I drive it and cannot wait to get a new car.

Suggested Improvements

The newer models are better, maybe still will never buy another one

Declared a Lemon
By Edward

2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

With this vehicle, I REALLY feel that I am being ripped off since the reliability has dipped WAY below zero in my book, and there were times that I felt Hyundais were better cars until I read worse reviews. Either way, I could've had my Buick repaired for the price of 1-3 loan payments instead of paying $320/month for an unreliable piece of junk that I had to tow twice, stall on the freeway and lose a job over the refusal to provide loaner cars. I had to bring in the car 8 times within the last year for ECU, brakes and transmission issues, and I sincerely thank the BBB for helping me win a Lemon Law settlement!

Favorite Features

Only the fact that it got me from point A to point B, but that was about it until I feared for my life when it stalled on the freeway.

Suggested Improvements

Don't skimp on design and materials (e.g. spare tire cover that snapped, stain-magnet seats, cupholders that can't accomodate larger cups without leaning/spilling), needs more interior space, better acceleration and IMPROVE QUALITY CONTROL; this car is giving Nissan a bad name!