Used 2003 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Sentra

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

My Old Faithful Nissan Sentra
By Jose

2003 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have nothing bad to say about my 2003 Nissan Sentra GXE. Ever since I bought my car in 2003 it has performed very well, just the normal wear and tear maintenance issues like tires, struts, belts, etc. Great, reliable car.

Favorite Features

Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room in front.

No Nissan....ever again!! These cars have a serious safety issue!!
By zoilus

2003 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car exactly 4yrs ago for my GF. it had about 33k miles on it. it now has about 93k miles on it. These cars & other nissians , have had recalls due to crank and or cam sensors going bad. When this happens...your car STOPS...the engine just shuts completely off! You could be at a light, driving on the highway, going up a hill or on a wet or icy road....the car will just die without warning! BOTH senors went out within a few months of each other. Once on my GF in busy commute comming home! We have no kids and don't smoke and we take care of our cars, however we also have had, 2 window motors die, glove box just broke, visor fell apart, ignition won't unlock..etc etc

Favorite Features

nothing. these cars have no power unless you get the even more problematic Spec versions! You want sporty, get a miata, camaro, stang, some type of turbo'd VW... this is NOT a performance car.

Suggested Improvements

Get a honda or toyota! yeah toyota's are not known for their sportiness or fun to drive characteristics....however...they are No. 1 in reliability...period. This year we are ditching this piece of junk and getting something better, and it will be either one of those 2 brands I mentioned, because we don't want to have to worry about crap breaking down!

Sentra quality down
By Michael

2003 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This engine was leaking antifreeze in the engine. We needed a new headgasket.It was covered under warranty but we had to fight to get the Nissan dealer to fix it. The engine has suffered damage from the coolant leak. It takes longer than usual to start. Also during an oil change, the dealer tech noticed we were losing alot of oil through the crankshaft oil seal. also replaced during warranty. This with a car with only 18k miles at the time. I would avoid this car with the 1.8 L engine. I've talked with others who own this car/engine. they had the same problems! Sentras are made in Mexico. buyer beware.

Favorite Features

gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Build the car right the first time! build quality has gone down with the new sentras. Nissan dealers who avoid repairing vehicles under warranty.

SE-REVS
By Eightyateseven

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used at 19000 miles and its at 24,000. I love the car, its fun to drive and it sets you apart from the civic crowd.

Favorite Features

I love the exterior. I have no idea why nissan changed it for the 2004 model, it is disgusting.

Suggested Improvements

I hate the color of my interior, it should have been black. thats my only complaint

A lemon on wheels
By Lizzie

2003 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle new. With less than 100,000 miles I have spent over $4,000 in the past two years replacing major parts. Today I was told I need a new engine. All of this despite regular maintenance. Nationwide of Timonium, the dealership, has done nothing at all to address this problem. So, I need a new car. I can't believe what a lemon this car is/was. So much for Nissan and buying new cars and regular maintenance. I hate Nissan. Please do yourself a favor and buy something else.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

a reliable engine, transmission,