Used 2003 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Surprising to drive!
By Kei_Calibur

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Ever since I first drove this car for the test drive, I've loved it. I like to drive fast and to be able to get around town when I need to, and this car is more than suitable for it. With plenty of power throughout the majority of the RPM's, it will not let you down. For tuner's out there, it has a good aftermarket backing. To other's, it comes with just about everything you will need. I'm having a hard time wanting to replace the stock sound system. In fact, the only thing I would want to replace is the factory header due to the precat restricting the powerband. With the sound package, sunroof, 6-speed transaxle and the 17" rims, you really can't beat this car for the price.

Favorite Features

Plenty of HP and torque. 17" rims with sticky tires. Chirps 2nd gear anytime I want. Sub 15 in the 1/4 mile for stock times. Helical limited slip. Very nice sound system. Seats hold you in place.

Suggested Improvements

Back end styling is really not my thing but it works and I can live with it. Nissan paint is HORRIBLE. My biggest complaint is the paint. Some components can be made a little better but this is nit-picky. Independent rear suspension would also be better.

Think Twice
By cal

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car in 2003 (model year) and I have had alot of problems with this vehicle. the throw out bearing was bad as was the rear main seal, the cd player is scratching my cd's and the left side speakers of the car don't work, due to the cd deck.can't wait to get rid of it!

Favorite Features

acceleration isn't bad

Suggested Improvements

build everything around the engine with a higher standard of quality

Great performance value
By Johnny V

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car brand new in 03. Car looks much better than 04 and up. Love the interior, transmission, and all that torque! Only trouble was the recall on the pre cat. I solved that by installing a header. Good performance and looks for the price. Only complaint is it is under powered. cant keep up with wrx or neon srt-4. But a car that can run low 15s for under 19k is hard to pass up. Car handles very well in stock trim but Eibach springs make it handle better and actually improve the ride quality. Suggest an after market shifter to clean up the sloppy action of the stock piece. This car is a blast to drive and it sets you apart from the thousands of civics out there.

Favorite Features

Powerful, torquey engine. Supportive seats. Good looking interior. Limited slip diff is great for keeping the car on the road. Fuel economy is not bad (approx 27 mpg), can be better if you drive it more conservatively. But who wants to do that?!

Suggested Improvements

Stock shifter is too clumsy. replaced mine with b&m short shifter for much more precise action. Need turbo option to keep up with competitors. Premium fuel is getting very expensive. Independent rear suspension would be a nice improvement.

great car
By mike

2003 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Great car to own, low on initial pickup but flies on the highway. Very quiet and stable at high speeds. It's like driving a high-end sports car, also great in the snow and very good mileage, 28 in the city, 35+ highway.

Can't find a better replacement
By Lance

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I'm looking to buy another commuter car this year, and I'm having a tough time coming up with a better choice for under $20K!

Favorite Features

limited slip, power, torque, cornering, tires, rims, security features, 6-speed, fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius, larger gas tank, better cup-holder placement, rear-end styling, pothole handling, finding 5th and 6th gears, RF sound system needs work, hatchback version would be nice, sirius satellite radio, too. Lose the Continentals.