2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V - Consumer Reviews

SE-R Spec V 2.5L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (95 reviews )
i have owned 3, let me be the judge!
By reaperhooks on 02/12/14 19:03 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

i just bought my 3rd Ser spec v today. and there is a reason i have owned 2 spec v's prior to this and the reason is simple, the cars are amazing for the cost. i know you will read alot of bad reviews here and a bunch of fake hype but you cant find another car to out perform or outlast a Spec v for 4000$-5000$ period. unless you wanna risk buying a lemon. i owned a 2002 spec v, a 2005 spec v and now just bought a 2003 spec v and have NEVER had any issues aside from the fuel pump Recall they had which was FREE. best car for the price and a great car to start learning how to tune on, super easy to find your way around the engine. change the oil and tires and it'll last you 250k miles NP

Worst Car I've ever owned.
By josh1234 on 10/30/13 17:38 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this car brand new in April 2003 and owned it for 3 years. It was nothing but problems for those 3 years straight. The catalytic converter failed within 2 months of owning the car and had to be replaced. This happened 3 additional times over the 3 year ownership. About 2 1/2 years in the engine blew all by itself and had to be replaced. The alternator failed multiple times and sometimes the car would die while in motion. The car had many rattles/creaks all over it always. The transmission developed many issues and grinds and had sounds like loose metal inside of it. I have read many problems with this car from others as well. Stay far away from it, its an endless money pit.

One of the Worst cars ever owned
By themanindbox on 05/22/13 15:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned over 18 cars thus far in my life. The worst by far either this car or the Cadillac I owned. I purchased this car used in 2005 with 27K miles on it. I only owned it till 2006. I sold it with 35K miles on it. It was a terrible car. (6 months) What broke in a year. Power windows (new motors) Door would not open due to cheap plastic clips in the door for the connection to the handle. Rattles in all the plastic Motor was burning oil due to bad piston rings. Seat adjuster broke and would not hold the recline adjustment. (I weighed at the time 135LBS) MPG was awful even when compared to a Roush Mustang. Left me stranded twice

Not for the Average Joe.
By op559 on 03/14/12 01:50 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

If you are one of those non car savvy folks with little to no mechanical skills, this is NOT the car for you. Well, unless you have loads of cash at your disposal for repairs. I have owned my SPEC V since 2004, and trust me, changing the oil and basic maintenance just does not cut it for these things. The 2 main issues on this particular model are the butterfly screws inside the intake manifold that NEED to be loctited and the stock exhaust manifold that NEEDS to be replaced with an aftermarket header ASAP after purchase, due to the poor factory design that can cause SERIOUS DAMAGE to your engine. If you enjoy modding, working on cars and learning about them, this car can be very rewarding.

Fun car to drive
By shad82 on 05/28/11 10:29 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I've had my car for almost 6 years and it is still a fun little car to drive. And it handles very well. My biggest problems with it was the faulty pre cat failure and I had to replace the ignition coils a few times as well. Another thing that I don't like about my car is the gas mileage, its a good car for local runs but I don't think its good car for long distance trips.

Could have been better...
By Chad on 12/15/09 07:28 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Bought the car new and had lots of problems within the first three years of ownership. The SE-R has a lot of issues that were never properly recalled such as a faulty pre-cat, poor MAF sensor, wheel hop, exterior paint, and a few other things. Had my engine replaced under warranty at 30,000 miles due to screws breaking off my intake runners and blowing up my engine. A simple locktighting of the screws would fix that issue. Aftermarket modification like motor mount inserts and header will get rid of some of the mechanical problems. Also, the plastic undercarriage pieces will gradually fall out. After dealing with those issues the car has gone strong the past 3 years

SE-R Spec V
By tyo789 on 11/27/07 05:52 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I just bought my Spec V two months ago. It was a good choice. I was actually looking at the eclipse or tiburon as my other choices. The Spec V just stood out to me. The car runs pretty good except for I need to get new brake rotors because the front ones are bent. I guess the last owner was driving the car recklessly. Other than that the car is in perfect shape.

Love my Spec
By logan on 04/16/07 12:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned my 2003 Spec V for about a year now and absolutely love it! I was fortunate enough to purchase the car with a nismo short shifter and nismo rear sway bar. Handling on the car is second to none. I love the power it has, which is great for a four cylinder. It's also a great "sleeper" car. I have yet to lose a race (no, I don't race evos and stis). My point being it's a blast to drive and fun to drive hard. I have not had any problems with the car (I've put 20,000 mi on the car and it has 65,000) and hope to keep it for a long time.

Surprising to drive!
By Kei_Calibur on 09/09/06 03:14 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Ever since I first drove this car for the test drive, I've loved it. I like to drive fast and to be able to get around town when I need to, and this car is more than suitable for it. With plenty of power throughout the majority of the RPM's, it will not let you down. For tuner's out there, it has a good aftermarket backing. To other's, it comes with just about everything you will need. I'm having a hard time wanting to replace the stock sound system. In fact, the only thing I would want to replace is the factory header due to the precat restricting the powerband. With the sound package, sunroof, 6-speed transaxle and the 17" rims, you really can't beat this car for the price.

Think Twice
By cal on 06/24/06 11:22 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car in 2003 (model year) and I have had alot of problems with this vehicle. the throw out bearing was bad as was the rear main seal, the cd player is scratching my cd's and the left side speakers of the car don't work, due to the cd deck.can't wait to get rid of it!