Used 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

SE-R Spec V 2.5L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (95 reviews )

i have owned 3, let me be the judge!
By reaperhooks

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

i just bought my 3rd Ser spec v today. and there is a reason i have owned 2 spec v's prior to this and the reason is simple, the cars are amazing for the cost. i know you will read alot of bad reviews here and a bunch of fake hype but you cant find another car to out perform or outlast a Spec v for 4000$-5000$ period. unless you wanna risk buying a lemon. i owned a 2002 spec v, a 2005 spec v and now just bought a 2003 spec v and have NEVER had any issues aside from the fuel pump Recall they had which was FREE. best car for the price and a great car to start learning how to tune on, super easy to find your way around the engine. change the oil and tires and it'll last you 250k miles NP

Favorite Features

2.5L super torque front wheel drive beast....stock seats are perfect. stock rims couldn't be better ' calm non ricer look ' and of course the 6 speed transmission that shifts like butter.

Suggested Improvements

build [non-permissible content removed] with turbo right out the factory!...that is all

Worst Car I've ever owned.
By josh1234

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this car brand new in April 2003 and owned it for 3 years. It was nothing but problems for those 3 years straight. The catalytic converter failed within 2 months of owning the car and had to be replaced. This happened 3 additional times over the 3 year ownership. About 2 1/2 years in the engine blew all by itself and had to be replaced. The alternator failed multiple times and sometimes the car would die while in motion. The car had many rattles/creaks all over it always. The transmission developed many issues and grinds and had sounds like loose metal inside of it. I have read many problems with this car from others as well. Stay far away from it, its an endless money pit.

Favorite Features

Performance when car worked, 6 speed gearbox when transmission worked, Torque when engine worked.

Suggested Improvements

An entirely new engine and transmission that were a lot more reliable than the one that was put in the car.

One of the Worst cars ever owned
By themanindbox

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned over 18 cars thus far in my life. The worst by far either this car or the Cadillac I owned. I purchased this car used in 2005 with 27K miles on it. I only owned it till 2006. I sold it with 35K miles on it. It was a terrible car. (6 months) What broke in a year. Power windows (new motors) Door would not open due to cheap plastic clips in the door for the connection to the handle. Rattles in all the plastic Motor was burning oil due to bad piston rings. Seat adjuster broke and would not hold the recline adjustment. (I weighed at the time 135LBS) MPG was awful even when compared to a Roush Mustang. Left me stranded twice

Favorite Features

Low end torque on a 4cyl.

Suggested Improvements

How about some reliability?

Not for the Average Joe.
By op559

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

If you are one of those non car savvy folks with little to no mechanical skills, this is NOT the car for you. Well, unless you have loads of cash at your disposal for repairs. I have owned my SPEC V since 2004, and trust me, changing the oil and basic maintenance just does not cut it for these things. The 2 main issues on this particular model are the butterfly screws inside the intake manifold that NEED to be loctited and the stock exhaust manifold that NEEDS to be replaced with an aftermarket header ASAP after purchase, due to the poor factory design that can cause SERIOUS DAMAGE to your engine. If you enjoy modding, working on cars and learning about them, this car can be very rewarding.

Favorite Features

* Decent horspower and torque for daily driving, especially for merging on the freeway. * Limited Slip Differential for pulling out of turns. * 28 MPGs (Shifting at 2500 RPMs) * Good aftermarket support. * A lot of fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

* It is a MUST for the owner to remove the upper section of the intake manifold and apply RED loctite to the butterfly valve screws inside the intake manifold. * It is also a MUST to replace the factory exhaust manifold with an aftermarket CATLESS header to eliminate the pre-cat from the system. * This motor is notorious for head gasket failures due to poor head gasket design. If your head gasket does fail, MAKE SURE to replace it with a 2007 SPEC V (triple layer) head gasket, the only difference is that the 2007 head gasket will NOT have a hole for the oil drain. All you need to do is take it to the machine shop, and have them drill a hole for the oil drain.

Fun car to drive
By shad82

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I've had my car for almost 6 years and it is still a fun little car to drive. And it handles very well. My biggest problems with it was the faulty pre cat failure and I had to replace the ignition coils a few times as well. Another thing that I don't like about my car is the gas mileage, its a good car for local runs but I don't think its good car for long distance trips.