27,610 of 27,611 people found this review helpful
SE-R Spec V < the sum of it's parts
By Brandon Apmann on
2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)
I purchased this car spanking new and enjoyed its strong engine with gobs of torque (for 2.5 liters), loved the limited slip differential, lots of grip from the tires and suspension. I was excited to finally own a new car I could pamper and keep minty fresh. Well, the honeymoon didn't last very long. From day one, literally, I kept fresh (every 3,000 miles) Mobil 1 oil in it, but despite my efforts, the car burnt more oil than any car I've ever owned, 2quarts every oil change. Also at about 30k to 40K the car lost a lot of power, started blowing black smoke which made it impossible to keep the bumper clean. Also, the clear coat started to peel @ 50K, making the car quite ugly.
Favorite Features
The strong engine (for the first 30k) and LSD. The car had lots of nice options, which was nice, however, I would've appreciated a "reliable engine" option or maybe a "paint stays on the car" option. That would be nice, although those things should be included at no cost. I did like the interior tho.
Suggested Improvements
Better paint, an engine that doesn't burn oil, better customer service from Nissan for those of us who paid for a bad product. I will not purchase another product from Nissan, new or used. This car was a disappointment.
Recommend (27,610) (1)