Used 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Good Value
By warwickfender

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has a lot more torque than other small cars in the same price range - and that's what makes it a very fun car to drive. The manual transmission is a bit notchy, the interior materials arean't of the highest quality, and the red-colored instrument panel is tough to see sometimes.... But you need to remember that this is baiscally a cheap economy car with a big engine dropped in it. If you take it for what it is, it's a great car. I've been averaging 28 mpg with mostly highway driving - not great for a small car, but there is a lot more bottom end on this engine than on a Civic or Corolla engine, so you are trading mpg for torque.

Favorite Features

16" wheels, decent stock stereo, excellent engine torque, more agreeable interior than the Spec V. Handles well and is fun to drive. Reliable (mine has 52,000 miles on it now).

Suggested Improvements

This car has a small gas tank - very noticeable in city driving. The truck is also small, even for this class of vehicle. Red numbers on instruments (already fixed in subsequent models), rear end of vehicle looks awkward.

Fuel Economy SUCKS, but very reliable...
By jaroot

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I like everything about this car except the fuel economy. I get about 22mpg city/24 hwy... which is about 5mpg less than what the factory sticker said I believe. Other than that.. I cannot complain, the car runs great, and starts with no issues when it's -30 below zero outside which is awesome.

Favorite Features

Dual Cig Lighter Plugins...

Suggested Improvements

Make this thing more fuel efficent... if I would have known I'd only get 22mpg city.. I'd have bought a truck instead.

the Car
By pitlatch

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great performance. Stiff suspension. Made two trips from Colorado to Wash. St. in the car, it's not the most comfortable to drive that far when you're over 40 but it was fast and cheap -- and fun. Get a radar detector.

Favorite Features

Performance, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better seats. More noise insulation.

Not informative
By Me 2

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

2.5 L engine!... NO BOSE! It's a fun little car. Not the greatest of build quality, but I haven't had any problems yet. The interior has some cheap plastics, and rattles a little bit (noticed a lot more in cold climate). Gas mileage isn't bad for a 2.5 L engine with a good amount of torque. I average more than 28mpg on every tank. The 5-spd manual is really rare. I've seen only 1 other automatic, while the rest are all spec-v's.

Favorite Features

Power / Torque. Sportier than most suspension. Pretty smooth tranny.

Suggested Improvements

Paint

Not bad...
By Adrienne S

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Fast as hell for a little four and an automatic (My son is yet to teach me stick, so no Spec V for me). But the build quality is so much lower than my past three Altima SE's. Numerous problems with the brakes and even the parking brake (it was not holding the car). Also body hardware is cheap. Happy with the aftermarket leather. Car has refinement issues, and the driver- comfort level needs improvement. But it is a blast to drive and turns heads, since people confuse the front fasia with a body kit. But why did they take it off on the 04's? It looks less agreesive. Oh well. Hopefully it will hold up through the end of its lease in 05'.

Favorite Features

Pickup, Tires, Appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy, build quality.