Used 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Never Again
By neverNISSANagain

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Got rid of a 98 Jetta VR6 because I was having a ton of problems with it. I figured you can't go wrong with a Nissan. I was completely wrong. So far, the car has left me stranded 8 times. Sometimes, out of no where, the car just wont start. It gets towed back to the dealership, they don't know what's wrong with it, then they try to charge me for the tow because they cant find the problem. Crank position sensor replaced twice, radio melts cd's, almost starts a fire. New radio stops working after 2 months. Everytime someone gets in the passenger seat and pulls the door shut, the door handle comes off in their hand. Terrible gas milage, 5-8mpg under stated #'s

Favorite Features

The car looks good from the front, its fun to drive if I have 3 friends with me to push...

Suggested Improvements

Build quality of interior sucks. Panels fall off, electronics fail, lights go out, buy stock in Toyota...

Good Value
By warwickfender

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has a lot more torque than other small cars in the same price range - and that's what makes it a very fun car to drive. The manual transmission is a bit notchy, the interior materials arean't of the highest quality, and the red-colored instrument panel is tough to see sometimes.... But you need to remember that this is baiscally a cheap economy car with a big engine dropped in it. If you take it for what it is, it's a great car. I've been averaging 28 mpg with mostly highway driving - not great for a small car, but there is a lot more bottom end on this engine than on a Civic or Corolla engine, so you are trading mpg for torque.

Favorite Features

16" wheels, decent stock stereo, excellent engine torque, more agreeable interior than the Spec V. Handles well and is fun to drive. Reliable (mine has 52,000 miles on it now).

Suggested Improvements

This car has a small gas tank - very noticeable in city driving. The truck is also small, even for this class of vehicle. Red numbers on instruments (already fixed in subsequent models), rear end of vehicle looks awkward.

Fuel Economy SUCKS, but very reliable...
By jaroot

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I like everything about this car except the fuel economy. I get about 22mpg city/24 hwy... which is about 5mpg less than what the factory sticker said I believe. Other than that.. I cannot complain, the car runs great, and starts with no issues when it's -30 below zero outside which is awesome.

Favorite Features

Dual Cig Lighter Plugins...

Suggested Improvements

Make this thing more fuel efficent... if I would have known I'd only get 22mpg city.. I'd have bought a truck instead.

the Car
By pitlatch

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great performance. Stiff suspension. Made two trips from Colorado to Wash. St. in the car, it's not the most comfortable to drive that far when you're over 40 but it was fast and cheap -- and fun. Get a radar detector.

Favorite Features

Performance, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better seats. More noise insulation.

Not informative
By Me 2

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

2.5 L engine!... NO BOSE! It's a fun little car. Not the greatest of build quality, but I haven't had any problems yet. The interior has some cheap plastics, and rattles a little bit (noticed a lot more in cold climate). Gas mileage isn't bad for a 2.5 L engine with a good amount of torque. I average more than 28mpg on every tank. The 5-spd manual is really rare. I've seen only 1 other automatic, while the rest are all spec-v's.

Favorite Features

Power / Torque. Sportier than most suspension. Pretty smooth tranny.

Suggested Improvements

Paint