Used 2002 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Don't even think to buy this car
By denis18

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

In 3+ years I owned this car I had nothing but problems with engine. The Idle Control Valve, the Engine Control and the ignitions coils went down several times. The engine stalled many times, which makes this car very unsafe to drive. By the end A/C was down too. Never buy any Nissan again

I am done with NISSAN
By 2002sentragxe

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a 02 Nissan Sentra GXE in Dec of 2001 from our local dealer in Petaluma California. At the time, we also considered Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla but ended up with the Nissan because the interior of the Sentra looked much better than the rest. Big mistake! Our Nissan was ok for the first several years but it started falling apart as soon as it hit 100k. Everything from faded paint to the on board computer (ECM) went out at a cost of $700. Next the transmission went out as well as the seatbelts and etc... Now I understand why people buy Toyota's. Meanwhile, a friend of ours has a 02 Corolla with 200k and it's still running strong.

Honest review
By rye3

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I just wanted to make a honest review from first hand experience. Bought this car brand new in 2001. First problem I had was a flat tire with but that was a easy fix. I had the oxygen sensor fix, ECU unit replaced all under warranty with about 60,000 miles. At 130,000 miles had the rack and pinion replaced due to leaking. Stuck at the park gear and using the shift lock to release to other gears. Currently have 148,000 miles and still going. The paint on the hood is fading away. Its a 9 year old car. Will have to replace the timing belt soon. I tend to loose power going up hills. Hopefully reach the 200,000 miles. Other than that a reliable car.

Decent Econobox - GXE Synergy Package
By kenjae

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Sentra for almost one year now. I recently had a Nissan dealer do a 25 pt inspection. I was told my rear motor mount was torn, my throttle body needed cleaning as well as a few other minor issues. I have had the car since 55,000 miles and I am at 76,000 now. The thermostat went out at around 73,000. Basically, it is a decent decade old econobox. The factory battery is still in there working fine. I get high 20s in town mid 30s highway gas mileage. A/C kills a lot of engine power but its got a sunroof. Engine noise is not too bad. Road noise can get frightening if it is a nice pot hole. Be careful on windy highways. Performs better than expected in the snow with allseason tires

The 1.8 L can be peppy at times.

Too late to say

Would buy again
By Arizona

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 30 miles on it, and it now has 112,000. Unfortunately, a rear end collision is forcing me to give up a car I would have kept forever!! Very reliable, and just the right size, this 5-speed manual GXE has served me well. I kept up the maintenance like clockwork, and for that I have never had an engine problem. I am now looking to buy another Nissan Sentra regardless of the negative reviews I continue to see.