Used 2002 Nissan Sentra GXE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Sentra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Decent Econobox - GXE Synergy Package
By kenjae

2002 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Sentra for almost one year now. I recently had a Nissan dealer do a 25 pt inspection. I was told my rear motor mount was torn, my throttle body needed cleaning as well as a few other minor issues. I have had the car since 55,000 miles and I am at 76,000 now. The thermostat went out at around 73,000. Basically, it is a decent decade old econobox. The factory battery is still in there working fine. I get high 20s in town mid 30s highway gas mileage. A/C kills a lot of engine power but its got a sunroof. Engine noise is not too bad. Road noise can get frightening if it is a nice pot hole. Be careful on windy highways. Performs better than expected in the snow with allseason tires

The 1.8 L can be peppy at times.

Too late to say

Would buy again
By Arizona

2002 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 30 miles on it, and it now has 112,000. Unfortunately, a rear end collision is forcing me to give up a car I would have kept forever!! Very reliable, and just the right size, this 5-speed manual GXE has served me well. I kept up the maintenance like clockwork, and for that I have never had an engine problem. I am now looking to buy another Nissan Sentra regardless of the negative reviews I continue to see.

Piece of Junk
By aellis7

2002 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Sentra from a man on Craigslist. He had all the paperwork to prove he had taken care of the car. The paint on the hood and roof was fading already, which is on 99% of all the 2002 Sentras. In the last year the computer has gone out, the AC has gone out and the gas mileage and power has gone down to almost nothing. Stay Away from these cars, I have only had bad things happen. Everyone I know that has ever owned a 2002 Nissan Sentra has had pure hell.

I like the outside of it, if the paint wasn't all gone!

Give people a new paint job, it's obviously a manufactures screw up. The back seat? What back seat? My son is 2 and his legs are squished even when we are practically sitting on the dash.

Good Car
By KRomine

2002 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car when I was in college because it was fairly inexpensive, and I thought it would be reliable. The car now has nearly 120,000 miles on it and still performs well. The gas mileage is goood, not great - I average around 30-33 depending on the season. The car has had very little maintenance problems. Early on, it had to be in the shop a few times for recalls, but other than replacing brake pads and tires, it has been really cheap to maintain. Performance is what one would expect from a small 4-Cyl. - it does just enough to not get run over by bigger cars. It does suffer from windy days, and it could be bigger, but really, it is a pretty good car.

Very reliable, decent gas mileage

Larger engine (2.0 in newer models), a bit more weight so it does not get thrown around by the wind, larger wheels - mine only has 14" wheels. It does not have cruise control - make it standard on trims above the base level!

Problem-free
By BWheel

2002 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Owned this vehicle (GXE w/ cruise control package) from 2001-2008 and through 180K miles only recently showed problems (oil leakage). Prior to that, only repairs needed were for leaking AC (2 times), blocked radiator and oil leak. None of these occurred within the first 100K miles. Car provided 30 mpg this year. For the price, great car.

Decent acceleration on GXE.

None