2002 Nissan Sentra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:
I LOVED MY SENTRA
By vwispos on 09/10/13 22:08 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Sentra Sedan XE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I loved my sentra, so fun to drive and it never left me stranded. I've seen some bad reviews but mine was absolutely flawless. Inexpensive and great on gas. I flipped it 3 times and it still cranked right up. (of course it was totaled though)

Don't even think to buy this car
By denis18 on 07/08/12 06:31 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

In 3+ years I owned this car I had nothing but problems with engine. The Idle Control Valve, the Engine Control and the ignitions coils went down several times. The engine stalled many times, which makes this car very unsafe to drive. By the end A/C was down too. Never buy any Nissan again

I am done with NISSAN
By 2002sentragxe on 04/12/12 14:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a 02 Nissan Sentra GXE in Dec of 2001 from our local dealer in Petaluma California. At the time, we also considered Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla but ended up with the Nissan because the interior of the Sentra looked much better than the rest. Big mistake! Our Nissan was ok for the first several years but it started falling apart as soon as it hit 100k. Everything from faded paint to the on board computer (ECM) went out at a cost of $700. Next the transmission went out as well as the seatbelts and etc... Now I understand why people buy Toyota's. Meanwhile, a friend of ours has a 02 Corolla with 200k and it's still running strong.

Honest review
By rye3 on 03/05/12 05:46 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I just wanted to make a honest review from first hand experience. Bought this car brand new in 2001. First problem I had was a flat tire with but that was a easy fix. I had the oxygen sensor fix, ECU unit replaced all under warranty with about 60,000 miles. At 130,000 miles had the rack and pinion replaced due to leaking. Stuck at the park gear and using the shift lock to release to other gears. Currently have 148,000 miles and still going. The paint on the hood is fading away. Its a 9 year old car. Will have to replace the timing belt soon. I tend to loose power going up hills. Hopefully reach the 200,000 miles. Other than that a reliable car.

Decent Econobox - GXE Synergy Package
By kenjae on 05/23/11 15:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Sentra for almost one year now. I recently had a Nissan dealer do a 25 pt inspection. I was told my rear motor mount was torn, my throttle body needed cleaning as well as a few other minor issues. I have had the car since 55,000 miles and I am at 76,000 now. The thermostat went out at around 73,000. Basically, it is a decent decade old econobox. The factory battery is still in there working fine. I get high 20s in town mid 30s highway gas mileage. A/C kills a lot of engine power but its got a sunroof. Engine noise is not too bad. Road noise can get frightening if it is a nice pot hole. Be careful on windy highways. Performs better than expected in the snow with allseason tires

Would buy again
By Arizona on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 30 miles on it, and it now has 112,000. Unfortunately, a rear end collision is forcing me to give up a car I would have kept forever!! Very reliable, and just the right size, this 5-speed manual GXE has served me well. I kept up the maintenance like clockwork, and for that I have never had an engine problem. I am now looking to buy another Nissan Sentra regardless of the negative reviews I continue to see.

Never another nissan
By donenissan on 10/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Sentra Sedan XE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

loved it until the ecu/ecm starts acting then mileage goes all over and the dealer starts licking his lips you soon learn to say it over and over never another Nissan.

Hate to See It Go
By mleinnyc on 07/01/10 13:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We are so sad to part with our Sentra. (We have to get a bigger car for kids and can't afford to insure two.) I bought it with 30K miles as a salvage and now have 100K on it. The only issue I ever had w/ the engine was fixed for free as a recall. I've replaced a few belts and the brake pads. This car has been 100% reliable. We've driven it, literally, across the country. I'm not into flashy cars, don't care about how "fun" they are to drive. My main concern has always been the bottom line. I really appreciate being able to rely on this car and that I've never had to spend a lot on it. Love this car!

Best car ever
By Nissan on 04/09/10 19:16 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

i love my 2002 Nissan Sentra. I am the first owner and in 8 years i have not even had one problem. The car has 120,000 km on it.It burns so little gas. It is fast and powerful and very reliable. This year i am planing to buy a new 2010 nissian sentra. I also love the way the car looks with a spoiler. I have never had a better car. I've had a Ford Fairlane and a Ford Thunderbird. This car is the best, I even pull a small trailer.

Stunning reliability
By Togoshiman on 02/26/10 07:26 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Passed 150,000kms this week. Nothing has gone wrong with this car in nine years of continuous operation. While regular maintenance has helped, I'm astonished that I have done nothing but tires, oil changes, brake pads and a new oil dipstick the entire time. Nissan has been quick about recalls - the throttle issues seem limited to those who fail to heed the recalls. I don't baby the car at all - cars are meant to be driven. It's been on dirt roads to cottage country and through nine Canadian winters with salted roads without rust (save for one muffler bracket which was replaced for $60). While the design is showing its age and it's no luxury car, I am very impressed overall.