2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V - Consumer Reviews

SE-R Spec V 2.5L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (93 reviews )
Spec-V 02
By spec_v_d on 03/07/13 20:54 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

This is the second 02 spec-v i have owned. The first was just crap but it was because of the original owner treated it like crap... previous owner was a young girl who did not know how to drive a stick. Now i got another and it had the new motor, tranny, and clutch installed by nissan due to recall on the original motors. Car has about 50k miles on it and i couldnt love it more. I have owned lots of tuner cars and i must say this is by far my favorite. Handles great, amazing power for the 4 banger. I have a few mods to the car nothing to crazy just cold air, exhaust, and suspension. gets pretty good gas milage could be better though. All in all i give this car a 4.7 out of 5

Import reliability ?
By Tayrob on 07/05/10 21:05 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my car off of the first owner (personal friend) who meticulously maintained it for the first 41k, it was a peach, after that it all went down hill, the cel is pretty much always on for one reason or another (it eats 02 sensors), fuel economy is terrible, the best I have managed is about 29 mpg hwy and that's shifting at 2k, the trans mission grinds 3rd gear, and the paint has started to Peel at 65k, Peel! And my car has always been garaged! Still, it does have some perks, great handling and torque and great in snow but not much else, this will be my last Nissan

Incredible car!
By Antalian on 04/27/10 13:08 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

This car is super awesome and fun to drive! The 2.5L in my Spec V pulls hard and always has more power to offer. It's surprisingly powerful for a straight 4. I drove it very hard on the 1st tank and still got 26 MPG out of it. But this car shines the most when you take it out on country roads and take some corners at speeds that don't seem like it should be able to handle, but it does handle them, VERY nicely. I'm the 2nd owner and it's got 85,000 miles and it's never any problems.

Wont be buying another
By TurboTayrob on 03/23/10 08:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased my 02 Spec v from the original owner at 41k back in oct of 08,the car was perfect condition, one owner, all maintenance records ,I bought it because the original owner simply didn't need it anymore(close friend)I figured "hey im buyin a nissan it'll last me through college" WRONG!I lay no fault at the original owner, but at nissan , at 61k im having alternator, transmission and a whole lot of other electrical problems ,needless to say I didn't think SE-R parts would be easy to find but this is ridiculous,if only the performance made up for it when I hit the back roads its all gravy but in the city im highly disappointed with reliability,performance and MPGs, my last nissan EVER

5,556 of 5,557 people found this review helpful
SE-R Spec V < the sum of it's parts
By Brandon Apmann on 02/20/09 07:37 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this car spanking new and enjoyed its strong engine with gobs of torque (for 2.5 liters), loved the limited slip differential, lots of grip from the tires and suspension. I was excited to finally own a new car I could pamper and keep minty fresh. Well, the honeymoon didn't last very long. From day one, literally, I kept fresh (every 3,000 miles) Mobil 1 oil in it, but despite my efforts, the car burnt more oil than any car I've ever owned, 2quarts every oil change. Also at about 30k to 40K the car lost a lot of power, started blowing black smoke which made it impossible to keep the bumper clean. Also, the clear coat started to peel @ 50K, making the car quite ugly.

the sentra that could.
By joe on 04/27/08 22:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this sentra se-r spec v thinking it was going to last forever! boy was i wrong, not only have i put a new tranny, but also a new motor,abs wheel sensor, cruise control ecu, and i am on my third catalitic converter! yea i said three! but now after all that i am afraid to open it up on the highway or eneywhere! I thouth spec v ment sport but mybe not! so now i have to baby it cause if i dont the catalitic converter might overheat and the insides might blow out again! posibly causing the motor to blow,like before, by the way did i metion this spec v is mostly built in MEXICO,just read the original window sticker that should explain everything! so buyers beware and good luck!!!!

Proud Spec V owner
By Bear on 01/15/08 19:39 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I've owned the vehicle for a little less then a year. It's been fantastic. Mechanically sound even with a few mods added from previous owner. Absolutely fun to drive. Only gripe would be the torque steer when giving a modest amount of gas from the start. For a tuner fan like me though, it provides more fun. For already being a 6 year old vehicle the engine on this vehicle runs flawless with 85,000 miles. A warning to potential car buyers... you will want to drive this car aggressively, it begs for it.

Happy
By SpiNz on 07/30/07 12:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I've had my Spec V for a little over a month now and I really don't have any complaints. Very fun to drive, powerful for a 4 banger, decent styling, pretty cool interior. Would buy again.

The Little Car...
By Estela on 05/23/07 08:41 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Good car, almost 75000 miles and still running as new. Reaches great speeds in short time, very strong. The engine had a recall but Nissan took care of it. Unlike other reviews where said that Nissan did not notify their customers. Sorry, they sure did, several notes were sent in the mail. Other than this, the car has been great, I do take care of it. Service it on a timely manner (well... I stretch a bit). The little car is still in great condition after almost 5 years and I intend to keep until it dies on me. Thanks Nissan!

So-so car
By Blackout on 02/26/07 07:23 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Car had several recalls. Fun to drive. A nightmare to change brakes on. Definitely need snow tires in the winter if you want to drive in any snow.