2002 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:
Major Issues After 60k - Lemon
By AtlGirl3929 on 06/02/09 20:38 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a Nissan thinking the brand was on par with Honda and Toyota...boy, was I wrong. I have never had as many problems with an automobile as I have with this car. When it was still under warranty, I had minor issues. Past 65k...I've had the A/C break twice, normal issues, but the best are the well documented problems with the catalytic converter, pre-cat, and 'recall' Nissan claims they performed on the 02 2.5L engines of this model. Bottom line: Nissan lies, the pre-cat never gets fixed, will fall apart, get sucked into your engine in small bits, mingle with your oil, and slowly eat your engine from the inside out. STAY AWAY!!

Love My Car!
By LuvMySE-R on 03/03/09 13:36 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my SE-R brand-new from the dealer in 2002. I just rolled 50,000 miles on the odometer this morning on my way to work. I have had NO major problems with the car at all. It handles well and still has most of its zip after six and a half years. Most of my 50,000 miles have been city miles, going to and from work, shopping, etc. But I do take it on the highway several times a week and the little thing still has enough power to run with the big boys. The only issues so far have been minor/routine/cosmetic and I have not had to dump any extra money into it at all. We'll see what happens now that the extended warranty is up!

A Nice Little Package
By SHIFT_COOL on 03/21/08 19:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought this car last month and I am actually shocked how much I like this car. It wasn't my first choice but ended up with it because of price. Well I consider myself lucky because this car is a blast to drive. It's like driving a go cart as it hugs the turns very nicely. With this very taught suspension you do sacrifice a smooth ride. It does not handle the bumps very well at all but you won't be too disappointed when you see how this baby handles. It has plenty of trunk space for me and my buddies' golf clubs. It gets around town with decent gas mileage and highway miles aren't bad either (23/27). It has wonderful get up and go and you will love zipping around the traffic.

Not too bad
By Karl on 11/10/05 15:52 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Ive had my SE-R for a year and half now and have had good luck, it has 57,000 miles on it and havent had any serious problems. Good power for its size, decent gas mileage (better than my 2002 Civic Si or 2001 Z24). Front end looks great, rear end not so great. It is comfortable, I have taken many 4+ hour trips in it and have been comfortable. Surprisingly good in the snow. Assuming it holds up another 60,000 miles, I would buy another Nissan.

Great vs. Competitors
By AA on 02/15/05 20:51 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car simply because it was cheaper and a heck of a lot funner to drive than a Civic. It has not dissapointed. I have over 60K on it and it is still running like new. No major repairs at all. The only problem I have had is my front rotors warp very easily. I'm going to keep it well maintained and expect over 200,000K from it. The gas milage is acceptable, would probably be better if it didn't turn almost 3500 rpm at 75 mph. All in all, a blast to drive, looks great and holds up well --- I'd buy another.

bbbb
By mg on 01/26/05 21:57 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Good quality built car, only minor details that have gone wrong in the past two years. one is the windshield wiper solution sprayer on the drivers side does not work well.I have had better A/c in other models but it does the job.

Nice car, but not very fuel efficent
By jason on 12/07/04 12:12 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R mainly because of Nissan's reputation for building reliable vehicles, but I've been very dissapointed in the fuel ecomony. I was expecteting something close to what was adverstised on the sticker (25-28 city).. but I've never gotten better than 21... not a huge difference.. but dissapointing.

I would not recommend this car!!!!
By Brittany on 10/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've taken my car to the dealership more times than I care to count. This car has A LOT of problems. It won't start. It dead stopped on railroad tracks, dealer said they fixed it, got the car back and four hours later it stopped in the middle of the road again!!! I had my cruise control on for 45 min. on the interstate and all of the sudden it started accelerating. My feet were no where near the pedals. I had to turn of cruise control to get it to stop. Nissan customer service really sucks and they won't help you at all!!! I've had major recalls on this car and honestly fear for my life when I drive it. God only knows what it will do nex

Never Again
By neverNISSANagain on 08/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Got rid of a 98 Jetta VR6 because I was having a ton of problems with it. I figured you can't go wrong with a Nissan. I was completely wrong. So far, the car has left me stranded 8 times. Sometimes, out of no where, the car just wont start. It gets towed back to the dealership, they don't know what's wrong with it, then they try to charge me for the tow because they cant find the problem. Crank position sensor replaced twice, radio melts cd's, almost starts a fire. New radio stops working after 2 months. Everytime someone gets in the passenger seat and pulls the door shut, the door handle comes off in their hand. Terrible gas milage, 5-8mpg under stated #'s

Good Value
By warwickfender on 08/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has a lot more torque than other small cars in the same price range - and that's what makes it a very fun car to drive. The manual transmission is a bit notchy, the interior materials arean't of the highest quality, and the red-colored instrument panel is tough to see sometimes.... But you need to remember that this is baiscally a cheap economy car with a big engine dropped in it. If you take it for what it is, it's a great car. I've been averaging 28 mpg with mostly highway driving - not great for a small car, but there is a lot more bottom end on this engine than on a Civic or Corolla engine, so you are trading mpg for torque.