Used 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Major Issues After 60k - Lemon
By AtlGirl3929

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a Nissan thinking the brand was on par with Honda and Toyota...boy, was I wrong. I have never had as many problems with an automobile as I have with this car. When it was still under warranty, I had minor issues. Past 65k...I've had the A/C break twice, normal issues, but the best are the well documented problems with the catalytic converter, pre-cat, and 'recall' Nissan claims they performed on the 02 2.5L engines of this model. Bottom line: Nissan lies, the pre-cat never gets fixed, will fall apart, get sucked into your engine in small bits, mingle with your oil, and slowly eat your engine from the inside out. STAY AWAY!!

Can be fun to drive, great pickup, turn radius, etc.

Uh. How about Nissan not knowingly selling the consumer a vehicle with $2k a year + problems after 60k miles?

Love My Car!
By LuvMySE-R

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my SE-R brand-new from the dealer in 2002. I just rolled 50,000 miles on the odometer this morning on my way to work. I have had NO major problems with the car at all. It handles well and still has most of its zip after six and a half years. Most of my 50,000 miles have been city miles, going to and from work, shopping, etc. But I do take it on the highway several times a week and the little thing still has enough power to run with the big boys. The only issues so far have been minor/routine/cosmetic and I have not had to dump any extra money into it at all. We'll see what happens now that the extended warranty is up!

Looks great. Runs great. Good power, fun to drive, decent mileage (~26 mpg), very affordable. Has been a very reliable automobile. I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off!

Speaking of wheels... The tires are very expensive to replace. Expect to spend $150 to $200 per tire for new Firehawks. Also, the backseat is pretty cramped for adults. Other than that... I have no complaints! I love my car!

A Nice Little Package
By SHIFT_COOL

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought this car last month and I am actually shocked how much I like this car. It wasn't my first choice but ended up with it because of price. Well I consider myself lucky because this car is a blast to drive. It's like driving a go cart as it hugs the turns very nicely. With this very taught suspension you do sacrifice a smooth ride. It does not handle the bumps very well at all but you won't be too disappointed when you see how this baby handles. It has plenty of trunk space for me and my buddies' golf clubs. It gets around town with decent gas mileage and highway miles aren't bad either (23/27). It has wonderful get up and go and you will love zipping around the traffic.

The wonderful handling and 2.5 liter engine dropped in this little pocket rocket.

Could tighten up some of the squeaks and rattles.

Not too bad
By Karl

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Ive had my SE-R for a year and half now and have had good luck, it has 57,000 miles on it and havent had any serious problems. Good power for its size, decent gas mileage (better than my 2002 Civic Si or 2001 Z24). Front end looks great, rear end not so great. It is comfortable, I have taken many 4+ hour trips in it and have been comfortable. Surprisingly good in the snow. Assuming it holds up another 60,000 miles, I would buy another Nissan.

Good torque, love the front end (resembles a Skyline), pretty good interior room.

Please redo the rear end, make the AC a bit better. Thats about it.

Great vs. Competitors
By AA

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car simply because it was cheaper and a heck of a lot funner to drive than a Civic. It has not dissapointed. I have over 60K on it and it is still running like new. No major repairs at all. The only problem I have had is my front rotors warp very easily. I'm going to keep it well maintained and expect over 200,000K from it. The gas milage is acceptable, would probably be better if it didn't turn almost 3500 rpm at 75 mph. All in all, a blast to drive, looks great and holds up well --- I'd buy another.

Exterior looks, torque

Interior attracts major dust, better brakes, smaller rear end