My Favorite So Far
By Brian on
2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
I bought this car from the original owner in 2006 with 150k on the clock. He claimed the only two issues he ever had were the ignition switch failing and one of the rear wheel bearing going out in all that time. I have had some issues with it during my ownership, but all have been minor and/or typical for the chassis/engine in question, or partially because of my own screw ups or aftermarket modifications. One disconcerting problem is that my driver door has advanced rust on the inside at the bottom. Gas mileage was pretty respectable for the power, but has fallen recently, probably due to an AIC issue I likely caused, and a need of an 02 sensor due to age.
Favorite Features
I love the optional viscous LSD, the free revving yet torquey SR20DE, the slick shifting tranny, the reliability, and the great handling (especially now that I have a full Nismo suspension and lightweight 17" wheels with decent tires installed).
Suggested Improvements
I had to replace the starter after a couple days of trying to make it a "homemade hybrid", which is said to be a typical issue over 100k. Like many cars, I find the gearing to be short for highway cruising. The barf colored seats are sinfully ugly (SE-R improved on this). Better rust prevention.