2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:
Best bang for your buck
By abba on 08/09/05 13:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

80K nearly trouble free miles so far. Yes the brakes need to be turned often, but it's no biggy. The motor is the best blend of torque, HP, gas mileage and reliability that Nissan has made. This car speaks to you at the limit of driving. Thus making it fun and safe. It's also loaded with features, responds well to mods, has room for 4, and get's 32 MPG.

Great Car
By Kashif on 07/22/05 01:45 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car at 70,000 miles and have had it for about a year now. So far it has not given me any problems at all. I get about 26 mpg, with a lot of city driving. The front brakes are starting to make a grinding noise now, and I am guessing that I will have to replace the rotors. It seems that this is a common problem with this car.

Poor Quality
By Jason R. on 07/08/05 17:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new and from the start it was full of problems. Aside from the 5 recalls that were all handled by Nissan (one of them without paying my tow bill) here is a list of many problems that my vehicle had. 1. Check engine light started to come on after the warranty expired and continued to do so very 6 months for no reason ($180 repair each time). 2. Cranckshaft sensor went out at 48K 3. Battery went out at 37K 4. Front rotors and paads needed to be replaced at 50K. 6. Rear bumper paint started to peel at 50K. 7. Power windows (front) went out About the only positive thing it had was the gas mileage and the exterior look. Very poor quality and reliability.

Rotor problems
By Jacqueline Fowler on 06/10/05 19:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am constantly going back because of a grinding noise when you press on the brakes. They have turned the rotors 3 times, and tell me that is is a result of driving. I have less than 45000 and it started happening at 10000. They replaced the rotors and after driving 1500 miles they are grinding again. Another person, my son switched cars with me to dispell the theory that it is my driving, Otherwise this is an excellent car. The driver side window motor constantly goes out is replaced and burns out again. The ride is a little sporty but it turns with ease. Overall I would buy another one.

So far so good part II
By 96flea on 06/06/05 23:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd review on this car. Its now going on 60k and the rear caliper needed replaced but it was due to the person/dealer never put a shim/retainer back on after doing a brake job. The paint on the front bumper has peeled off, no biggie. The Firestone tires are junk! The in-cabin filter is good but the dealers want $$$ for replacement filter. Go buy a home filter for $20 and cut 3 or 4 out of it and it will filter out x100 more stuff. The sr20de is why i bought the SE. Many have recommened this engine. The Granite color is attractive. I'm getting 24mpg city and 30mpg hgwy. Its good in snow. If you want to get a Sentra find an SE! They stopped making them in 2001 so good luck!

Pleased One
By sfvtiger on 04/09/05 16:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Yes, I agree, there has been numerous recalls on my Sentra but other than that, it has been in the shop quite a few times. My clutch went out at 60,000, very pricey repair!! Brakes are a frequent repleacement and it will be going on it's 3rd set of tires here pretty soon. The engine has excellent power and runs well to this day with on time maintanence. Service engine soon light is on because of a cat converter being damaged by running over a construction cone. This is pricey to repai and am considering purchasing another vehicle in order to avaoid fixing this. Everything on the inside is great, except the stock stereo, the backlight went out. All around pleased with this car.

was good, now bad
By dee on 02/22/05 13:34 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car almost 4 years ago. Ran fine until the warranty came off, then suddenly started having problems. Note: if you hear loud humming when you do hard turns or in cold weather, do NOT let Nissan tell you that's "normal". I now have a power steering rack that is toast, and will cost $1100 Canadian to replace. Apparently, the humming was warning me there were problems, but the dealership told me there weren't, UNTIL the manufacturer's warranty came off. I had purchased the extended warranty, but guess what - they say it doesn't cover it either! It seems I am not alone - there are several reports of this problem, but Nissan just says, too bad, you bought it, we don't care.

Happy after three years
By Bambam on 01/04/05 16:49 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2001 Nissan Sentra SE for 50,000 miles and only the brakes have cost me a fortune to fix. It starts in cold winters and never has let me down. It has excellent reliability, is fun to drive and is a good car to get around in with enough options. My only complaint are the Firestone tires... I went through the original pair way to quickly and had to replace them 30,000 miles in.

Very Pleased
By GregSentra on 10/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very pleased with this vehicle. Stock was good enough for me, although I did purchase performace cold air intake and performance exhaust, bought brand new tires, looking into new ECU and even bolton turbo. With the CAI and exhaust there is a noticible difference in performance. Handles very nicely (with new tires) since it mostly rains here. 5 speed manual, i would not have bought the automatic.

Perfect daily/first car
By nametakennow on 09/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first car. I love it to death. Quick and understated, but it always turns a few heads. "Hey, what do you drive?" etc. A lot of fun and perfect for a daily driver, particularly for a young driver like myself. Quick, but not quick enough to get you into too much trouble. The suspension is incredible, handling is amazing, way more suspension than power, which is good for a young driver. Some boost -I have my plans there ;)- and this car would be perfect. Besides the God-awful tires, that is... Ditch the Firestones. Stock LSD is wonderful to have whenever you've got to get on it to get out into traffic. 00-01 SE> 02+ SE-R/Spec V