2001 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:
Good and reliable
By Nismo#1 on 04/28/08 13:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it with 12,600 on the ODO. Now has 95,200. Used Synthetic in it since I got it; engine runs great. Overall, I've been very happy with it as a commuter car that does about 80-90 miles a day. The most major thing I've had to do was the recent suspension upgrade where I replaced the stock struts/shocks/springs with something a little more sporting; this move totally transformed the car. The GXE was designed for comfort, not handling! The materials used in the interior are cheap (except dash) and show wear easily. Also, get the windows tinted as the sun fades seats/carpet. Nissan really skimped on the interior to save money, but it's got good mechanicals and a solid chassis to work with.

Good Car for the Money
By PirateJake on 01/28/08 18:59 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Lots of headroom for tall people, peppy SR20 engine, sure it rattles and is noisy but it cost next to nothing and is pretty quick for what it is. 105k miles no real problems. Low quality paint. I have had it since the showroom floor and plan to keep it for quite a while longer. Excellent college student car. I commute into Minneapolis every day in it. Civic reliability with Saturn prices. Go for the 5 speed in the charcoal grey or black. Replace the Firestone tires with some Yokohamas. I hit a deer years ago and the car still runs like the day it was new. Five stars for the money.

Nice Little Car
By Bob22 on 10/14/07 13:42 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the third Sentra I have owned. These are very reliable cars and the gas mileage is great. I get 36 MPG on the highway.

Compact Tank
By PirateJake on 07/24/07 09:10 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My car has not had an easy mile in its life. From destroying a deer going 65 mph to some mild offroad drifting (rock crawling?!?) this car has been virtually invincible. We got this about the same time we got a Suburban, and this little car has worn its abuse much better. I have the SE model with the SR20DE and an automatic tranny. This car isn't pretty after its 7 years of abuse, but it sure runs like a top. I'm in college and commute over 40 miles every day and I expect this car to be there for me for another 100,000 miles. It has carried my 16 foot canoe hundreds of miles without a problem and has done dozens of trips to all the midwest. Do yourself a favor and get the stickshift.

Reliable.. WHAT?!
By Nick B IL on 07/08/07 13:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Unfortunately I have not been as lucky as others who have posted here. I have had the computer go out at 70k, the rotors go out at 100k, the brake pads are replaced every other month, I get about 17 MPG. I have had the fuel filter replaced, the steering column replaced, and must do regular flushes to all fluids. I bring it in monthly to a mechanic (and have switched a few times just to make sure the mechanics weren't messing with the car). Can anyone say lemon?

I like it
By Drex on 06/20/07 06:50 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been content with my Sentra SE. It gets good gas mileage (30s) and has been relatively problem free. The ride on this car is a bit rough at times, but I've become accustomed to it. Some issues I've had to repair are the A/C needed to be recharged, O2 sensor replaced, and the driver's side window motor was replaced (automatic windows).

Very nice car
By NismospecV on 04/30/07 06:13 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is very fun whe tuned even the slightest bit. I got a stillen header and downpipe and nismo intake kit and this car moves very fast ive gotten it up to 156 mph on those upgrades and some tires.

Great cheap car.
By Crossbol on 04/02/07 12:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Got this car brand new. Quit running once, the cram shaft sensor went bad. Three window regulators had to be replaced. That is all I did to it, and now it has 95K miles on it and still runs like new. Use synthetic oil and perform maintenance as expected. Gas mileage is decent compared to other cars I've got. Handles great in city and highway. It is not the smoothest and quietest rider ever, but it is expected for the price your pay for it. Really great cheap car.

reliable
By stewart on 03/01/07 23:57 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

u must buy the se 2.0, handles very well and fun to drive. this car is the most reliable car i ever had. i have 150,000 miles on it and didn't put more then 1000 dollars in it in 6 yrs

Great car
By Tom on 02/15/07 17:22 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Has been a great car! Biggest issues have been early tire wear, clouding of the headlamps and the fact that the air conditioning really saps power from the engine.