Used 2001 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Reliable Car
By cy04547

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car in 2004 with 35,000 on it. It now has 154,000 miles. I have gotten 40 mpg on the highway and this is what I absolutely love about the car. I consistently averaged 35 on a mix of back roads and rte 1 (60 mph). Besides regular maintenance, I have had to replace a front coil spring (cheap fix, got the part from a junk yard). There are tons of sentras in the junk yards so get used parts! This cost me about $40, the horn went just after I bought it and probably several other really small things. Currently the connection with the radio and lights to the gearshift have blown. I can deal. I am having trouble giving up the car because of the reliability and gas mileage!

One touch down drivers window, gas mileage!!, fold down rear seats and reliability! Great small commuter car.

More comfortable seats, lumbar support and a larger space for passengers legs in the back seat.

Great Car pound for pound
By DOCEK

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my car near new, with 18000 miles, now with nearly 70000. So far has held up great, but wear and tear is starting to take its toll. needed to change tires, brake pads, a belt and alternator so far... but not too costly overall.

peppy engine, reliability and go cart like handling. good mpg.

my windshield is scratched/fuzzy, cant see well when it rains. paint is easily scratched and dented at bumpers...

Lucked out with a great Jaded SE
By seanv

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

'Green Machine' has been great since day 1! Am original owner for 8 years and still happy with it as day 1. So far engine still totally reliable. Will drive this until it stops running, which seems to be a long way away! I would be a fool to sell/trade it the way it (and the economy) is going. See below for pros and cons. Overall the cons are minor. No car is problem-free and this was a great graduation gift from PT school from my dad. I could trade it in for something new, but there is no justification for it, esp as it runs too well. May modify it with front fascia and will repaint the top. So far the only mods are tinted windows. Don't know if I lucked out or if they are all this good!

Dashboard pop-up compartment, sunglass holder location. Push-in overhead lights. Drives with a sporty feel.Interior is well-designed and solid materials, sport cloth seats durable- no wear. Leather steering wheel feels good to touch. Timing chain vs belt! Spacious trunk- used it for many moves.

Watch for paint oxidation- Bigtime on top. Stiff sport suspension: Vibrations annoy pregnant wife, may feel lots of bounces esp. if you have a bad back/neck. Funny-looking trunk. Power is fair (it is a 4 cylinder). 1 window motor was replaced, sunroof latch broke. Seat comfort fair on long rides.

My Favorite So Far
By Brian

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car from the original owner in 2006 with 150k on the clock. He claimed the only two issues he ever had were the ignition switch failing and one of the rear wheel bearing going out in all that time. I have had some issues with it during my ownership, but all have been minor and/or typical for the chassis/engine in question, or partially because of my own screw ups or aftermarket modifications. One disconcerting problem is that my driver door has advanced rust on the inside at the bottom. Gas mileage was pretty respectable for the power, but has fallen recently, probably due to an AIC issue I likely caused, and a need of an 02 sensor due to age.

I love the optional viscous LSD, the free revving yet torquey SR20DE, the slick shifting tranny, the reliability, and the great handling (especially now that I have a full Nismo suspension and lightweight 17" wheels with decent tires installed).

I had to replace the starter after a couple days of trying to make it a "homemade hybrid", which is said to be a typical issue over 100k. Like many cars, I find the gearing to be short for highway cruising. The barf colored seats are sinfully ugly (SE-R improved on this). Better rust prevention.

Great Little car
By apples

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new and it has been a wonderful car for my wife. The size is ideal for city driving. It now has 41000 miles on it and all we had to do was replace breaks, tires and recently a spark plug coil. Also had to replace the radio as water from the AC shorted it out. Basically it has been a good car for the money.

Styling.