2001 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:
New to Nissans
By edmunds13 on 09/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I was just about to purchase a Honda Civic or Accord when I tried my new Nissan Sentra GXE. I am glad I did not go with Honda because the Nissan has more features for a better price.

Value & Performance
By nigel on 08/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A great value car which I bought to replace my aging 1992 honda civic. I was going to buy another honda but only got attitude from dealers. Found much better treatment at nissan and a great product. I think this is the best looking car in its class. The se model offers more power, handling and brakes. Alot of others here have comments about the poor paint quality - to date I have had no trouble.

I really like but it's noisy!
By Torn Between on 08/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased the Sentra XE model and fell in love with the look of the car. What I found out after a day of driving around town at speeds of 70- 80mph, was the whistling that the car makes. Also, the brakes make an unusual chirpping noise when letting off of brake. I like the car but between the whistling and chirpping, I wonder if I would want to tolerate it for a few years.

Pleased as can be
By Pleased as can be. on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car right before I left for college, brand new. It has been absolutely wonderful. I have had to take it in a couple times for minor, car particular problems (ie cruise control cover came off, driver's side window started acting crazy). I think it's a nice looking car and heads above the competition. We looked at Corollas as well and they aren't near the car the Sentra is. I love the interior; I think it doesn't look like the inside of a base, economical compact car.

Outstanding Vehicle
By RobbK6 on 05/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been a joy so far. I replaced an excellent condition CRX Si with this car and it delivers even better performance with a back seat! I have over 22,000 miles on my car and I haven't had a problem yet. I will say the paint sucks, but that was the only thing I can say negatively. For the price there was nothing in the same class when I bought it. It has a decent aftermarket following for the engine and some suspension upgrades. But in all actuality they aren't really needed. I have a 2001 SE with performance package, sunroof, and 5spd.

annoying but good
By thekid on 05/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my SE one year ago. Torn between hating it and loving it. Seems to have the consistent problems, squeaks, rattles, loose bumpers, weird noises. Problems I don't expect from a 16k car, even if its an economy car. But it starts every day, runs, handles great. Looks good. Paint does seem to chip and scratch very easily. Wish Nissan would acknowledge the common problems instead of the servicemen acting like I am the only one in the world with these problems. It is not quite like my old Civic SI, but then again my old Civic SI is not like the SE

SE is the best
By Justin on 05/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2001 SE Sentra, and I absolutely love it. The performance is great, not to mention the handling which has been improved by the factory- installed strut tower brace. The ride is comfortable and the design is, to me, flawless.

1st nissan
By jazzyk on 05/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Nissan (Sentra SE with performance pkg) and I have been very happy with it. It is cute and VERY fun to drive, and has lots of great features that just aren't available on the competition. I looked seriously at the Civic as my last car was an Accord that I absolutely loved - but the Civic just couldn't hold a candle to the Sentra. Now that was before the Si came out - so maybe now it does, I don't know. The only caveat I have is the paint. It chips if you even look at it wrong. I will probably be repainting the whole car in the next year because of this. But other than that I love it!

Impressed
By ChasMan on 04/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Keeping in mind that this is not a BMW but an economical compact car, my Sentra has been very impressive for the first year. Good build quality, performance, value, and styling are all pluses. It's head and shoulders above the Corolla in terms of what you get for your money, and the quality is very comparable. This Nissan is underrated, but if your looking for a reliable, well-built compact car, you'd better look at this one.

exhaust problem
By Tabitha on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car in August of last year and I have already put 12,000 miles on it. Unfortunately, I have a terrible exhaust problem. From what I have been told by the service dept. at the dealership, it is a design flaw. My car smells like rotten eggs 85% of the time. From what I understand, the engines were built for low sulphur gasonline (primarily sold in CA.) and on other fuels (even high quality) the smell is unavoidable. It is really bothersome.