2001 Nissan Sentra XE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

2001 Sentra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Sort Reviews by

Fun Car
By msjulie81

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan XE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

It tends to make a "bird noise" when I start it in the morning.(mechanic says that there is nothing wrong???) I already had to replace one of the pullys, the horn, and the radio. Despite the fact my car seems to be spending most of its time with my mechanic, it drives great!

Favorite Features

fun to drive:)

Suggested Improvements

interior rattles, noisey when started in the morning

2001 Sentra GXE
By bman1027

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Nissan Sentra GXE brand new in april of 2001, I was deciding between this and a Honda Civic, I made the mistake of choosing this car. Since then, I've put about 28,000 miles on it, and it has been in the shop about 6 times. 3 times for recall, and 3 other time the car just broke down. The most recent trip to the dealer is the most outrageous experience i've ever had. The car would just stall in for no reason, and after leaving the car with the dealership for over a week, the dealership still can't figur out what is wrong with the car. Now I'm getting rid of the car and planning to purchase an Accord, Camery or a Jetta soon.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

Improve the overall quality of the car, as well as dealership customer service, resale value is also VERY VERY LOW

Perfect teen car
By CelicaSentra

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car has shown absolutly no problems for 2 whole years. It may not be the fastest car but it is still very sporty. The interior is very durable and the feel inside the car is luxury.

Favorite Features

Fold down seats. Storage. CD player. roomy

Suggested Improvements

More power, more standard features,

excellent
By Adam Reynolds

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been in the dealership once for warranty work, to replace a $.05 clip that broke. I absolutely love this car, never driven a car with such a broad powerband. It's very easy to drive, and one of the most fun cars out there. 5 stars!

Favorite Features

reliability, space, 4 doors, fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

interior is a bit plain, stock stereo sucks

Great Car
By roboto

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a good little car.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry

Suggested Improvements

Bigger trunk

I prefer Sentra to my Civic
By kurts

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Sentra is very smooth driving. It has never given me any problem in many long trips. I am more used to the Nissan interior design; Civic and Corolla has an interior that feels "cheap".

Favorite Features

Quieter than my 2002 Civic. Better equipped.

Suggested Improvements

More rear leg room.

So far so good.
By 96flea

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car has decent pep to it but could do better on milage. I have an automatic tranny w/performance package. The 16" wheels really makes the car look better but the low profile tires makes the car ride a little hard. I purchased the Sentra used at Pohanka Chevrolet in Chantilly, Va. for $10,500. The car did well in the blizzard that hit the East Coast this Feb. The torque is among the highest in this class of vehicle. I believe 0-60 is around 9 or 10 seconds though i have not really romped on the gas pedal to find out. With 3 family members (each weigh about 230lbs) this Sentra performed well with a full load.

Favorite Features

Performance. Price. Reliability. Insurance. Timing chain instead of timing belt.

Suggested Improvements

Radio. I have the upgrade (not the Fosgate) and i would hate to hear the standard radio. Paint. Front grille is ugly! Made one out of steel wire mesh and now it has the look of the SE-R.

Rattling is driving ME CRAZY
By Collie

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan XE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Sentra used with 17,000 miles on it. Overall the car runs great! I have had no major problems with it. I especially love the sporty look of the XE.

Favorite Features

I love the sunglass holder and the extra storage space in the dash. I also love the spoiler. But most of all I love the way it handles.

Suggested Improvements

Stop the rattling of the interior plastics. Recently the windows seem to go up and down really slow . Also twice the alarm has gone off without any reason. Another girl I know has the GXE and it has happened to her also.

Could not be worse
By RMan

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

own it 16 months,serviced only in Nissan dealerships,never late for maintenance. result: CD/AM/FM replaced,1 recall-headlamps,sometimes driver door leaks when its raining,shift bulb replaced,back sit leg room for people with no legs,dashboard makes noises,legendary horrible paint job. 11 months after purchase had steering noise-still not fixed.Nissan certified mechanic says supposed to be like that (Sentra"feature"!?). Cust.Service dealership or headquaters THE WORST. Auto trans on SE-slow start even with145hp engine, 4 cyl.Once was driving straight,frontend started vibrating and car started pulling to right-still investigating

Favorite Features

cd player, 16" alloy wheels, quite engine, good road view

Suggested Improvements

design in/out, QUALITY IS HORRIBLE, customer service is even worse than car quality, calculate true cost of purchase AND maintenance. Trust me a lot of things will need to be replaced even before the warranty expires, and after it does Nissan charges 2-3 times more than Toyota does.

Sweet Ride for the Cash
By Bob in the bar

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is not a BMW, but its a great car for the money. If you want reliability, fun, good fuel economy in a affordable and functionaly car, this is the one!

Favorite Features

Sun glass container of the ceiling, 12 settings on the windsheild wipers, smooth ride, responsive steering, and great sounds from the premium audio package. Fun car!

Suggested Improvements

Move placement of the key so knee doesn't hit it in an accident. Add side curtain air bags for head.