2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:
Good up to a point ...
By copykat on 01/31/10 16:15 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This was really a good little car until about 85,000 or 90,000 miles. I had no major repairs until then, but at that point things started to go downhill. First, I had to replace the catalytic converter, an $800 repair. Then, about a year later the car developed a leak in the rear main seal, which cost about $700 to fix. A month later the exhaust flex pipe needed to be replaced, which was another $400. A week later I was told there was another problem with the catalytic converter/oxygen sensors, at which point I threw in the towel. But I suppose once you pass $100K all bets are off. And since I did very little to the car in the first eight years or so, that's not too bad.

Reliable Car
By cy04547 on 11/15/09 11:27 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car in 2004 with 35,000 on it. It now has 154,000 miles. I have gotten 40 mpg on the highway and this is what I absolutely love about the car. I consistently averaged 35 on a mix of back roads and rte 1 (60 mph). Besides regular maintenance, I have had to replace a front coil spring (cheap fix, got the part from a junk yard). There are tons of sentras in the junk yards so get used parts! This cost me about $40, the horn went just after I bought it and probably several other really small things. Currently the connection with the radio and lights to the gearshift have blown. I can deal. I am having trouble giving up the car because of the reliability and gas mileage!

Great Car pound for pound
By DOCEK on 06/28/09 22:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my car near new, with 18000 miles, now with nearly 70000. So far has held up great, but wear and tear is starting to take its toll. needed to change tires, brake pads, a belt and alternator so far... but not too costly overall.

Great Little car
By apples on 12/18/08 16:39 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new and it has been a wonderful car for my wife. The size is ideal for city driving. It now has 41000 miles on it and all we had to do was replace breaks, tires and recently a spark plug coil. Also had to replace the radio as water from the AC shorted it out. Basically it has been a good car for the money.

Nightmare!
By jada07 on 11/18/08 13:16 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Unfortunately, luck was not on my side with this car. I bought the car 2 years old with 40,000 miles. A year into it, the computer died (52,000 miles), the brakes are awful and continuously replaced, the paint is poor quality and started to chip within the first 2 or 3 years I had it. I do not feel comfortable taking it on long trips alone, as it is very unreliable. Gas mileage is good, but I'd trade it in for my old '93 accord any day!

Love this car
By Elise on 09/23/08 16:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car since my 16th birthday. I bought it brand new with only 4 miles on it. Still to this day, 8 years later, it drives amazing. I have driven it across country multiple times and treated it poorly, despite that this car has been a trooper. It has never broken down on me. The only things I have had to replace 150000 later are the tires, car battery, and a fuse fro the headlight which was $6. I love this car. It's very reliable and I couldn't have asked for a better deal and even though it has been paid off now for 3 years it is still running great and I have no car payment. This car is a real keeper and I hope my next car is as tough as this one.

Excellent small car- Miss it so much!
By kris on 05/27/08 11:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our '01 Sentra as a young couple. Its design, size in its class and handling were the features that sold it. In 7 years of owning it, we have never worried about taking it for long trips. It holds its own on snowy and icy VT roads in winter with the right tires. Everything about this car was solid - the doors were heavy and tough as were the lid of the trunk and the hood. The mileage was a fuel sipping 35 mpg on the highway. It is a compact car and the room behind the driver can be a little less if the driver is tall, but that is true of all compact cars of '01. I have finally traded our Sentra in for a Quest as our family requirements have changed. This is a great Nissan product!

Good and reliable
By Nismo#1 on 04/28/08 13:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it with 12,600 on the ODO. Now has 95,200. Used Synthetic in it since I got it; engine runs great. Overall, I've been very happy with it as a commuter car that does about 80-90 miles a day. The most major thing I've had to do was the recent suspension upgrade where I replaced the stock struts/shocks/springs with something a little more sporting; this move totally transformed the car. The GXE was designed for comfort, not handling! The materials used in the interior are cheap (except dash) and show wear easily. Also, get the windows tinted as the sun fades seats/carpet. Nissan really skimped on the interior to save money, but it's got good mechanicals and a solid chassis to work with.

Reliable.. WHAT?!
By Nick B IL on 07/08/07 13:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Unfortunately I have not been as lucky as others who have posted here. I have had the computer go out at 70k, the rotors go out at 100k, the brake pads are replaced every other month, I get about 17 MPG. I have had the fuel filter replaced, the steering column replaced, and must do regular flushes to all fluids. I bring it in monthly to a mechanic (and have switched a few times just to make sure the mechanics weren't messing with the car). Can anyone say lemon?

Great cheap car.
By Crossbol on 04/02/07 12:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Got this car brand new. Quit running once, the cram shaft sensor went bad. Three window regulators had to be replaced. That is all I did to it, and now it has 95K miles on it and still runs like new. Use synthetic oil and perform maintenance as expected. Gas mileage is decent compared to other cars I've got. Handles great in city and highway. It is not the smoothest and quietest rider ever, but it is expected for the price your pay for it. Really great cheap car.