Used 2001 Nissan Sentra SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Still got legs
By jknecht1

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in late 2000 and over 100K it hasn't ever let me down. With the manual trans, it's consistently a blast to drive. It has had minimal problems over the years, mostly incidental. Never any engine issues. Replaced O2 sesors, brakes, tires, fixed window motors, and the CD player is dead, and a tree fell on it and scratched the heck out of the paint (which was always a weak point) but I still can't justify giving this baby up! What I'd get for it would never reflect the true value of this car!

Fun To Drive. Way more car than you pay for.

Better paint job. Pumped up soundsystem would be nice.

Lucked out with a great Jaded SE
By seanv

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

'Green Machine' has been great since day 1! Am original owner for 8 years and still happy with it as day 1. So far engine still totally reliable. Will drive this until it stops running, which seems to be a long way away! I would be a fool to sell/trade it the way it (and the economy) is going. See below for pros and cons. Overall the cons are minor. No car is problem-free and this was a great graduation gift from PT school from my dad. I could trade it in for something new, but there is no justification for it, esp as it runs too well. May modify it with front fascia and will repaint the top. So far the only mods are tinted windows. Don't know if I lucked out or if they are all this good!

Dashboard pop-up compartment, sunglass holder location. Push-in overhead lights. Drives with a sporty feel.Interior is well-designed and solid materials, sport cloth seats durable- no wear. Leather steering wheel feels good to touch. Timing chain vs belt! Spacious trunk- used it for many moves.

Watch for paint oxidation- Bigtime on top. Stiff sport suspension: Vibrations annoy pregnant wife, may feel lots of bounces esp. if you have a bad back/neck. Funny-looking trunk. Power is fair (it is a 4 cylinder). 1 window motor was replaced, sunroof latch broke. Seat comfort fair on long rides.

My Favorite So Far
By Brian

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car from the original owner in 2006 with 150k on the clock. He claimed the only two issues he ever had were the ignition switch failing and one of the rear wheel bearing going out in all that time. I have had some issues with it during my ownership, but all have been minor and/or typical for the chassis/engine in question, or partially because of my own screw ups or aftermarket modifications. One disconcerting problem is that my driver door has advanced rust on the inside at the bottom. Gas mileage was pretty respectable for the power, but has fallen recently, probably due to an AIC issue I likely caused, and a need of an 02 sensor due to age.

I love the optional viscous LSD, the free revving yet torquey SR20DE, the slick shifting tranny, the reliability, and the great handling (especially now that I have a full Nismo suspension and lightweight 17" wheels with decent tires installed).

I had to replace the starter after a couple days of trying to make it a "homemade hybrid", which is said to be a typical issue over 100k. Like many cars, I find the gearing to be short for highway cruising. The barf colored seats are sinfully ugly (SE-R improved on this). Better rust prevention.

Nissan Sentra, A great buy!
By skutte

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has stolen my heart with its reliability. My car has 180,000k and it still runs like a new car. The only trouble i had was replacing the breaks and the rotors because the breaks had no squeakers. The Nissan Sentra is a great buy.

The gas mileage. 36 mpg

Fix the mirrors on the visors.

Reliable Car
By Gilrich

2001 Nissan Sentra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I like my 2001 Nissan Sentra 2.0, because its easy to maintain and repair. So far it has odometer reading of 160,000 and its still running and sound the same as I bought it 7 years ago. For seven years, I already changed 2 rear hub assembly, fan resistor and 4 tires. I recommend this car, its very reliable if you maintain it regularly. I run average of 120kms everyday and it never gave me headache even a single day.