2001 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:
Still got legs
By jknecht1 on 04/25/12 19:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in late 2000 and over 100K it hasn't ever let me down. With the manual trans, it's consistently a blast to drive. It has had minimal problems over the years, mostly incidental. Never any engine issues. Replaced O2 sesors, brakes, tires, fixed window motors, and the CD player is dead, and a tree fell on it and scratched the heck out of the paint (which was always a weak point) but I still can't justify giving this baby up! What I'd get for it would never reflect the true value of this car!

Lucked out with a great Jaded SE
By seanv on 06/14/09 19:21 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

'Green Machine' has been great since day 1! Am original owner for 8 years and still happy with it as day 1. So far engine still totally reliable. Will drive this until it stops running, which seems to be a long way away! I would be a fool to sell/trade it the way it (and the economy) is going. See below for pros and cons. Overall the cons are minor. No car is problem-free and this was a great graduation gift from PT school from my dad. I could trade it in for something new, but there is no justification for it, esp as it runs too well. May modify it with front fascia and will repaint the top. So far the only mods are tinted windows. Don't know if I lucked out or if they are all this good!

My Favorite So Far
By Brian on 04/01/09 20:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car from the original owner in 2006 with 150k on the clock. He claimed the only two issues he ever had were the ignition switch failing and one of the rear wheel bearing going out in all that time. I have had some issues with it during my ownership, but all have been minor and/or typical for the chassis/engine in question, or partially because of my own screw ups or aftermarket modifications. One disconcerting problem is that my driver door has advanced rust on the inside at the bottom. Gas mileage was pretty respectable for the power, but has fallen recently, probably due to an AIC issue I likely caused, and a need of an 02 sensor due to age.

Nissan Sentra, A great buy!
By skutte on 08/06/08 14:16 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has stolen my heart with its reliability. My car has 180,000k and it still runs like a new car. The only trouble i had was replacing the breaks and the rotors because the breaks had no squeakers. The Nissan Sentra is a great buy.

Reliable Car
By Gilrich on 07/26/08 21:13 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I like my 2001 Nissan Sentra 2.0, because its easy to maintain and repair. So far it has odometer reading of 160,000 and its still running and sound the same as I bought it 7 years ago. For seven years, I already changed 2 rear hub assembly, fan resistor and 4 tires. I recommend this car, its very reliable if you maintain it regularly. I run average of 120kms everyday and it never gave me headache even a single day.

Strong like bull
By Jerod on 05/26/08 13:35 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great 4-cylinder car with 145 horsepower. I bought the car new in October, 2001 and have driven it ever since - 113,000 miles so far. Fuel economy has been good the whole time, and is the same now as it was when I bought it (26 city/30+ highway). The only upgrade I've added is a K&N Air Filter Charger for about $40 (improves fuel economy and horsepower a little bit). Only maintenance other than routine has been new brakes, new tires, and new spark plugs. Handling is great. My only complaint the whole time has been the road noise - it's pretty noisy at highway speeds. Didn't like the "premium" sound system that came with the SE model, so I added an aftermarket system.

Good Car for the Money
By PirateJake on 01/28/08 18:59 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Lots of headroom for tall people, peppy SR20 engine, sure it rattles and is noisy but it cost next to nothing and is pretty quick for what it is. 105k miles no real problems. Low quality paint. I have had it since the showroom floor and plan to keep it for quite a while longer. Excellent college student car. I commute into Minneapolis every day in it. Civic reliability with Saturn prices. Go for the 5 speed in the charcoal grey or black. Replace the Firestone tires with some Yokohamas. I hit a deer years ago and the car still runs like the day it was new. Five stars for the money.

Compact Tank
By PirateJake on 07/24/07 09:10 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My car has not had an easy mile in its life. From destroying a deer going 65 mph to some mild offroad drifting (rock crawling?!?) this car has been virtually invincible. We got this about the same time we got a Suburban, and this little car has worn its abuse much better. I have the SE model with the SR20DE and an automatic tranny. This car isn't pretty after its 7 years of abuse, but it sure runs like a top. I'm in college and commute over 40 miles every day and I expect this car to be there for me for another 100,000 miles. It has carried my 16 foot canoe hundreds of miles without a problem and has done dozens of trips to all the midwest. Do yourself a favor and get the stickshift.

I like it
By Drex on 06/20/07 06:50 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been content with my Sentra SE. It gets good gas mileage (30s) and has been relatively problem free. The ride on this car is a bit rough at times, but I've become accustomed to it. Some issues I've had to repair are the A/C needed to be recharged, O2 sensor replaced, and the driver's side window motor was replaced (automatic windows).

Very nice car
By NismospecV on 04/30/07 06:13 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Sentra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is very fun whe tuned even the slightest bit. I got a stillen header and downpipe and nismo intake kit and this car moves very fast ive gotten it up to 156 mph on those upgrades and some tires.