Used 2001 Nissan Sentra GXE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Sentra

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Good up to a point ...
By copykat

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This was really a good little car until about 85,000 or 90,000 miles. I had no major repairs until then, but at that point things started to go downhill. First, I had to replace the catalytic converter, an $800 repair. Then, about a year later the car developed a leak in the rear main seal, which cost about $700 to fix. A month later the exhaust flex pipe needed to be replaced, which was another $400. A week later I was told there was another problem with the catalytic converter/oxygen sensors, at which point I threw in the towel. But I suppose once you pass $100K all bets are off. And since I did very little to the car in the first eight years or so, that's not too bad.

Favorite Features

The fuel economy is unbelievable. I was getting maybe 33 miles to the gallon, even at the end.

Suggested Improvements

The horn kept breaking. I had to have the wires reattached on three different occasions. Also, the handle on the dipstick kept breaking off. This may not have happened if the plastic handle hadn't been right next tp the radiator hose. The interior is a bit cheap, but serviceable.

Reliable Car
By cy04547

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car in 2004 with 35,000 on it. It now has 154,000 miles. I have gotten 40 mpg on the highway and this is what I absolutely love about the car. I consistently averaged 35 on a mix of back roads and rte 1 (60 mph). Besides regular maintenance, I have had to replace a front coil spring (cheap fix, got the part from a junk yard). There are tons of sentras in the junk yards so get used parts! This cost me about $40, the horn went just after I bought it and probably several other really small things. Currently the connection with the radio and lights to the gearshift have blown. I can deal. I am having trouble giving up the car because of the reliability and gas mileage!

Favorite Features

One touch down drivers window, gas mileage!!, fold down rear seats and reliability! Great small commuter car.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats, lumbar support and a larger space for passengers legs in the back seat.

Great Car pound for pound
By DOCEK

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my car near new, with 18000 miles, now with nearly 70000. So far has held up great, but wear and tear is starting to take its toll. needed to change tires, brake pads, a belt and alternator so far... but not too costly overall.

Favorite Features

peppy engine, reliability and go cart like handling. good mpg.

Suggested Improvements

my windshield is scratched/fuzzy, cant see well when it rains. paint is easily scratched and dented at bumpers...

Great Little car
By apples

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new and it has been a wonderful car for my wife. The size is ideal for city driving. It now has 41000 miles on it and all we had to do was replace breaks, tires and recently a spark plug coil. Also had to replace the radio as water from the AC shorted it out. Basically it has been a good car for the money.

Favorite Features

Styling.

Nightmare!
By jada07

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Unfortunately, luck was not on my side with this car. I bought the car 2 years old with 40,000 miles. A year into it, the computer died (52,000 miles), the brakes are awful and continuously replaced, the paint is poor quality and started to chip within the first 2 or 3 years I had it. I do not feel comfortable taking it on long trips alone, as it is very unreliable. Gas mileage is good, but I'd trade it in for my old '93 accord any day!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Needs more comfortable seats and an increase in overall quality.